Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Robb
United Kingdom
Prudhoe
Northumberland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I picked up this expansion yesterday, but haven't yet had a chance to play it. Actually, that's not quite true; I've effectively played it already because there is nothing here we haven't seen before. It's basically a compilation of Cult Places and The Cathars, along with a couple of extra blank tiles for your own creations.

Rather interestingly, there is an extra shrine tile, and the Cathars tiles have had a redesign.

Pictures here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
This user is a professional crastinator
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, looks nice!

Where did you get it?
All the online stores have it as preorder only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Robb
United Kingdom
Prudhoe
Northumberland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our local Travelling Man store in Newcastle had it. Loads of them, in fact.

http://www.citikey.com/business/10164047/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad the city walls aren't broken as they are in the real Cathars expansion. With these tiles, I could foresee some confusion about what the people camping outside the city mean. When the walls are broken down, there's no room for confusion. *evil laugh*

Despite this, it's pretty cool that we finally get access to the Cathars expansion. This might be the first real Carcassonne expansion I buy and enjoy since Inns and Cathedrals (not counting the mini-expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that there is not some sort of icon on the "War" tiles, like the Monk picture on the original Kathars. I understand that RGG doesn't have the rights to the original Kathars, but they should have put some sort of symbol on the tiles to make them stand out from regular city tiles.

Edit: I can't wait to get my hands on them anyway. Even though I already have Kathars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tegenfeldt
Sweden
örnsköldsvik
domsjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they forget to ad an bigbox style icon for sorting out tiles this alone will make me buy the other version that have those old expansions that i already own just to get that icon.
And walls should be broken to clearly show a siege.

I dont like this crap of making 2 versions of the same expansion one bit and on top of it mess it up , play coop manufacturers please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Infinity Games (UK) have it in stock. (www.iguk.co.uk)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart and anne till
England
STAFFORD
staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iguk are fantastic sellers. Jorvik games also have it in stock with free shipping on all orders.
They've also got some good deals on at the minute!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Some quick observations.

A shame they missed both the set icon and an identifying icon for "War." Seems even if they couldn't copy Spielbox use of the icon, they could have a more definitive graphic, like a campfire or the same seige tower on each tile. I guess I will have to explain that if it has a horse....

I think witht he addtion of Spielbox's version of the 5 Cult tiles they had, putting all 11 together will make it a more competitive aspect of the game. I am not sure how many Cloisters we have but with the expansions, it has to be more than 11 and definitely more than the 5 previously.

Its unfortunate to see they only gave us 2 blank tiles. After hearing about these, i had hoped to actually make something with them but I am not sure how you can add anything solid with just 2 tiles. They should have given us at least another 6.

Oh well, I'll get it because it is Carcassonne. And knowing it was supposed to be a rehash of Spielbox stuff I already owned, I understand the purpose. Seems it could have been executed slightly better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 blank tiles? What to do with them?

I suppose only Friar and Farmhand:

http://boardgamegeek.com/file/info/14874

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Infinity Games (UK) have it in stock. (www.iguk.co.uk)

Yay!
I've just ordered it there.
JoffW wrote:

Nah.
Why waste tiles with the proper backside, when those tiles are double-sided and are not placed face-down anyway?
They're just markers, thus can be made with any cardboard.

I think I will use mine to make the river spring with the road and the pig meadow from the GQ expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Robb
United Kingdom
Prudhoe
Northumberland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:

I have a different plan. Now that I have two copies of The Cathars (effectively), King & Robber Baron, Count, and *three* copies of Cult Places, as well as the two blank tiles from this expansion and another from New World, I'm thinking I might be getting close to a bigger expansion.

Families is what I'm considering (with 36 tiles), as it has a very interesting premise (the ability to help restrict people trying to sneak into your city) as well as a whole bunch of miscellaneous tiles that I've always longed for: a road-road-field-field piece with a cloister which separate the two roads (there's another one in The Tower with the tower foundation separating the two roads, but we rarely play that), a road-field-road-field tile where the road doesn't separate the fields and a four-way roundabout road.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/13644

Has anyone played this expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So are the rules for this version of "the Siege" the same as they are described for the Cathars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So are the rules for this version of "the Siege" the same as they are described for the Cathars?

Yes, exactly the same.

I have a variant for using Cathars tiles and Siege tiles together over at www.carcassonnecentral.com (available from the forum) for those of us lucky enough to have Cathars and Siege tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.