Subject: Pair Of VASSAL Bugs/Issues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having a pair of bugs/issues with Memoir '44 on VASSAL. Hopefully those here can shed some light on my problems.

#1: When playing with the Eastern Front Expansion with Russian Command Rules, is there a place in the open for the Russian player to play his card face down under the Commissar Chip? Or does the Russian player have to just remember a card in his hand for next turn?

#2: Why is it on some scenarios on Memoir VASSAL there is a bug where the person joining the game is not allowed to choose a side? It happened on the Russian Breakout Map tonight and has happened on others as well. We can find no way to get around this bug and it has ruined many maps we've wanted to play badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) There should be a Chip on the side board that looks likethe Commissar. I am nto sure if this was carried over in the latest version but it was there in the previous one. It was more a marking to remember to place the card face down here instead of something functional.

2) Its possible that one side or the other was logged in. That person needs to retire to release their claim over that side. If this is happening when you first start a game, its possible the scenario creatore accidently logged in as one side and forgot to clear it.

Unfortunately, I did not help out on the v7 mod so I am not sure how they were laid out or the specific issues. When I assisted Bill Bennett in the v6 mods, I made sure all these scenarioes were correct before they were published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The not being able to choose sides issue happens when we are starting a brand new game. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
roboman wrote:
The not being able to choose sides issue happens when we are starting a brand new game. soblue

Sounds like it is locked out - can you give me the scenario name/number?

EDIT:
I tested both Breakout at Klin and Breakout to Lisyanka and both worked fine. I was able to logon to both sides. If that ist he case, then there may be another issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds a lot like a bug that existed when Vassal went to version 3. If the person who created the saved game file was logged in as an observer, the game would display all sides as available to the first player to log in, but it would not allow a second player who joined the game to log in as a player.

If this describes your experience, I'd suggest that you and your opponent check to see if you both have the latest version of Vassal, as this bug was corrected some time ago. I believe 3.0.17 is the current version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk DeWester
United States
Columbia Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently experienced this issue with Air Pack scenario Twin Villages. I tried twice starting the game as Axis (PBEM games, not live) and the game I sent to my opponent the Allies were greyed out both times and he didn't have the option to select a side.

I've started half a dozen other PBEM games without any problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilben04 wrote:
This sounds a lot like a bug that existed when Vassal went to version 3. If the person who created the saved game file was logged in as an observer, the game would display all sides as available to the first player to log in, but it would not allow a second player who joined the game to log in as a player.

If this describes your experience, I'd suggest that you and your opponent check to see if you both have the latest version of Vassal, as this bug was corrected some time ago. I believe 3.0.17 is the current version.

We both are running 3.0.17.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
roboman wrote:

Sounds like it is locked out - can you give me the scenario name/number?

EDIT:
I tested both Breakout at Klin and Breakout to Lisyanka and both worked fine. I was able to logon to both sides. If that ist he case, then there may be another issue.

One of the scenarios I have having trouble with is "Russian Breakout". In the v7 Memoir Module it can be found by going Scenarios-> Air Pack Revised -> Eastern Front -> Russian Breakout. Try that and let me know if it works for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
replied on vassal forums with solution / explanation why

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
travillaintim wrote:
replied on vassal forums with solution / explanation why
Mind copying the answer here? Or at least a link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1147

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright it was the retiring issue that made us able to fix things. The best way we can tell to get it to work is to have the host start the game and join a side. Then the other guy comes in and retires. Then the host retires. The other guy resyncs with the host and the host resyncs with the other guy. This allows them both to join a side.

Also, I am still not seeing a way to effectively play a card under the Commissar Chip. I can bring the Chip into my hand, but there is no verification as to what card I am ultimately playing into the game. If I put the Commissar Chip on the board and drag a card onto it, the card sits on top of the Chip and is visible to everyone. Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Chip is just a visual representative. You should leave it on the board and place your card slightly offsetting the chip (so you can see the chip). You have to make sure the card is face down (you'll see the back image of the card over the full size front image). It will be face down for everyone else then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.