Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The English translation of the German rules that's in the Files section here says:
Quote:
When laying tiles, four points should be noted:
1.Each tile must be layed in an empty space. It must border at least one already placed tile (edge to edge), or be placed in one of the spaces on the boundary.
2.Align the track tile so that the arrow points in the same direction as the arrow on the board.
3.A tile may not be placed such that a metroline from one numbered station to another traverses only one tile.
Sole exception: the tile cannot be placed anywhere else.
4.It is specifically allowed to lay a tile next to an opposing line or station, as long as the above rules are observed.

I.e. there's no requirement about having to extend someone's track. I played the game a month or so (with a borrowed set, so I can't easily check the published rules again now) and this agrees with what I recall reading in the published rules. (And my dim memory from when I played it years ago as well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neophyteg52y wrote:
I just played my first game of Metro tonight with my sister, who was also completely new to the game. We had a major difference of opinion as to whether or not you could place a tile if it didn't continue anyone's departure track, even if it WAS touching a previously placed tile. What are everyone's verdicts on this situation?
I think what you did was legit. Just make sure the tile is oriented correctly and touches (orthagonally) a previously laid tile are the 2 big rules with tile laying.

Neophyteg52y wrote:
Also, the English rules sheet (but NOT the Spanish, French, or German rules sheets also included in the box, Queen games edition WITHOUT the Uberplay logo) state that the central stations may not be played against unless the tile completes or continues existing track. This might be interpreted to mean that it must complete or continue a track coming from someone's departure station. OR, it might be kind of a redundant sentence (NOTE that it was left OUT of the other three language rules sheets in the SAME box!!!) that the English translator tacked on, merely in order to emphasize that a tile could not be placed next to a central station unless it ALSO bordered another previously placed tile. I would like to get as many verdicts as possible on this central station question as well.

Thanks very much in advance!!
Hmmm, I don't remember any mention about this. I'll have to sit on this one and get back to you if I can recall anything about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of the original German version (only German rules), and there is no mention of both limitations you have in your English translation. I would file this as a translation erratum! So just drop them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Jarmusch

Oakland
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the point of these placement limitations is to keep players from STARTING a line from one of the central stations. That is to say that rail lines must start from the outer edge and work there way in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.