Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Bits Storage and Player Mats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: agricola [+] [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's time-consuming to unpack and pack all the various bits from baggies. Does anyone have a recommendation to store the different resources? Something that can fit in the game box and not allow the pieces to intermix? I envision a shallow lidded tray with walls, but not sure where to find such a thing.

I suppose I could throw them all in one bag. It wouldn't be that hard to pluck out the pieces as needed, and once they're spent keep them sorted nearby. Anyone tried this?

BTW, anyone know why all the player mats don't have the resources printed along the top? I've found it handy, especially for new players, and I don't see how it's an improvement to have trees along the tops of the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for the same sort of solution, so I will be subscribing to this thread. It's been tougher than it sounds to find an ideally sized/shaped container like you describe. I've seen a few people post photos of great solutions here, but so far none of the dollar stores in my city have born fruits.

I also wondered about the mats. When I first played the game, I was just told "these mats are for newer players". I asked what was different about the mat he used and no one had an answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the idea is that laying out all of your materials really orderly along the top of your mat in nice little stacks makes it much easier for other players to quickly eyeball what your supply is like, whereas having them strewn about in whatever fashion you like may serve to obfuscate it to some degree, but anyone can just look more closely...

Speaking of which, I wonder if there's a rule that all materials/resources must be visible to all players and quantities cannot be concealed for purpose of hiding plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the player mats, does it really matter whether the top shows resources or forest? I can see the benefit (for new players) of the icons reminding that one Grain/Vegetable can be converted into one food at any time. But really, I see no need to have a "special" box for each resource on one's mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a Plano 3570 StowAway Utility Box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
There's definitely no need for it, but I think what the OP finds (at least it's what I find) is that it doesn't make much sense that they would print a few mats with these spaces and a few mats without. I would think all one type or all the other makes more sense from a manufacturing point of view (given that we all agree that it doesn't have any fundamental effect on the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group generally uses the plastic containers that electrical tape is stored in. They are about 4" diameter and 3/4" high or so. Lids snap on, and I've never had a lid come off in a box. You can't fit a crap-load of bits in them, but they are suitable for many games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cobb
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
visit rollordont.com for a free computer game with a challenging AI player!
badge
visit rollordont.com for a free computer game with a challenging AI player!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a plastic storage box like several I've seen on here, but the pieces seem to stack up in the corners and are hard to get out.

Then it occurred to me that a Kalah game that I had might just work. And it does...pretty well. The board I have is hinged in the middle, like this one only the bowls are deeper,
so half of the bowls have to be empty before I pack it away. It holds all the resources on half the board, except for the animals and the food. I put those into bags to store, and dump them into the empty bowls after I've opened up the Mancala board while setting up the game.

The nice thing about the Mancala board is that the bowls are cone-shaped -- no corners for the pieces to stack up in. The resources are easily grabbed, and stay nice and organized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Build one! It's easy (this photo is Pum's).

My take on it is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
There's definitely no need for it, but I think what the OP finds (at least it's what I find) is that it doesn't make much sense that they would print a few mats with these spaces and a few mats without. I would think all one type or all the other makes more sense from a manufacturing point of view (given that we all agree that it doesn't have any fundamental effect on the game).

Agricola has some kind of theme going on with the printed bits that very little is repeated. The player mats and the rooms all have something different on them.
I think it is kind of nice, wished that the wooden bits were as varied too - the animeeples and the stickers add a lot to the game! It even adds functionality as everything becomes easy to spot and memorize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in another thread suggested clear plastic storage boxes from the craft area in WalMart. I bought two of them and they work perfectly and only cost a few bucks. I keep the player bits (tokens,stables, and fences) in separate bags. Everything else is in the containers. They even have a larger section that holds the hut markers really well. I'll try to post a picture later. I makes my set up time really short since I just take the boxes out open them up, grab my decks and go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By chance, there's a box I purchased as a failed attempt at organizing Power Grid which is doing nicely. It is square, and just barely fits within the width of the box. It's divided into 13 compartments: One of them is a quarter of the space, the other 12 are 16ths. The room/field markers are in the big compartment, the multipliers and visitor/arrow markers are in one of the 12 small ones, and the ten countable supplies are in ten of the 12 small ones. The cards all fit next to this box. The player pieces are in five separate bags, so they can be easily handed to the players. Three of these lay across the cards, two of them lay across the sorting box. The boards and rules lay across all of this, and if you have properly flattened the bags of player bits, the box closes completely. I need to take a picture of all this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The simplest solution is to spend $1.99 at Michael's for a bead storage case. We play Agricola more frequently now. No set up is involved and you can manage all your resources right from the case. When the game is over: minimum clean up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:
I use a Plano 3570 StowAway Utility Box.

That's what I use to store most of the wooden resources and tiles. It also acts as the bank and makes it easier to grab them when repopulating the board. I kept the player pieces in separate little baggies to give to each player. We printed out and used one of the excellent tuckboxes in the Files section to store all of the cards. It seems to work pretty well, although it doesn't quite fit back into the box all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I happened to mention this to my wife, and she promptly showed me one of those clear plastic storage boxes from Walmart that Spaceman mentioned. (She uses it to hold various hair ties for our daughter.) So I bought one and it works great for storing the 10 resources.

It has 7 compartments, with 1 compartment taking twice the space of the other 6. So I threw all the animals in the larger one, and the stone and reed into 1 of the smaller ones (because they are fewer and easy to distinguish from each other). For $1.50, it works for me. If curious, it measures 7.25" x 4.75" x 1.75", so it takes up only a little space in the game box. I admit they aren't the easiest to fish out (a bit deeper than needed) but I plan on leaving them in the box at the game start, and only taking them out as needed to place on the board. Then when they are spent, throw them on the general stock mat.

I think I prefer to keep the individual player colors in separate baggies to easily hand out; it's just the communal 10 resource bits I felt were cumbersome. I love Rob and Pum's boxes -- they certainly look attractive -- but I don't want to take the time.

I'm still willing to try the "Plano 3570 StowAway Utility Box", but Walmart didn't have Plano products. I also tried Michaels, but they had never even heard of Plano. Where can I find them? And do you use it to hold everything, or just the 10 resource bits?

As for the different farm player mats, I'd rather they all have the resources along the top and the planting diagrams on the side. It's not a big deal, but like someone said, it seems odd from a production standpoint. But mainly, I think it's nice to see what resources other players have at a glance, and you can easily do so for players using those mats. Anyway, not a big deal, but found it curious more than anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone else that needs options in the US, Joanne's is carrying an ultra cheap plastic box organizer (non adjustable compartments) for about $2.00. It is too big for the box (length or width), but it can easily be cut down to size with room to spare for cards, boards, and printed errata. I haven't cut mine down yet, but all the pieces fit, including tiles, with 2-3 mm of height to spare. The lid of the container can easily be bound with a rubber band. This does involve a bit of work, but it's cheap.

I've heard of Plano, but aren't they primarily a GB/Europe product?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

As for the different farm player mats, I'd rather they all have the resources along the top and the planting diagrams on the side. It's not a big deal, but like someone said, it seems odd from a production standpoint. But mainly, I think it's nice to see what resources other players have at a glance, and you can easily do so for players using those mats. Anyway, not a big deal, but found it curious more than anything.

THe answer is simple:
Frst edition didn't have the resource boxes on the player mats.
Some Agricolytes asked for it, so we did some test runs. About 50% of the players liked it, 50% disliked it, as they have a different way to sort their resources - for example making little stacks of 5 wood and 2 reed for the next room etc.
Therefore we decided to leave it as it was, but to add the new version on the reverse side of 2 boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:
I'm still willing to try the "Plano 3570 StowAway Utility Box", but Walmart didn't have Plano products. I also tried Michaels, but they had never even heard of Plano. Where can I find them? And do you use it to hold everything, or just the 10 resource bits?

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-3570-Size-CDS-StowAway/dp/B000E3...

Plano cases are made for fishing lures, etc., so a sporting good store is the best place to get them, such as Dick's: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/family/index.jsp?categoryI...

I have used the generic ones from Walmart, but prefer some I got at Hobby Lobby (but I don't know what they are called since there is no manufacturer name or numbers are imprinted on the plastic and I do no have the original sticker than was on it). The Hobby Lobby cases are about 7.5" by 10", have 20 compartments (4x5) and most importantly the bottom of each little compartment is curved so that it is much easier to get the bits out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry it took me a bit to get these pictures posted but it has been a busy week. As you can see in the first picture everything fits in the Agricola box. The top doesn't close completely, depending how carefully I pack the bagged player bits the box is about a 1/4 inch from closing all the way. As you can see I printed out card boxes.

The boxes fit all the pieces really nicely, when playing I sit one box on the open lid of the other to minimize table space. when playing solo then the visible open box lid is where I store my player bits. Again you can get these in the craft section of WalMart for just a few bucks. The boxes significantly reduces the setup and cleanup time. My anicubes are in there as well under the player marker and arrow tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Very nice, and thanks for the pics. I'm using only 1 of these exact boxes, so I may try it your way and/or check out the Hobby Lobby one Mentis mentioned. Nice to have options; thanks again everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Wadkins
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know this is a really old thread, but bit storage is always relevant!

This past weekend I built some bit storage that I'm very happy with and wanted to share some pics.

We keep our agricola cards in sleeves to quickly distinguish between the different #player sets, so our cards were already not being stored in the box. Because of that I had a little extra space and decided to make some bit storage that catered to our usual mode of play (2P)

Here is the box with the bit storage inside:

These actually become three bit storage boxes like this:

There is a large bit storage box with the bits that go out on the board, and then there is a small "personal stash" box for each side of the table that contains things that people have to get at like food tokens, tiles, etc.

It's not obvious from the pictures, but all of the small-bit areas (i.e. everything but the player colors and the tiles) have bottoms slanted upward to the outer edge so that you can slide the bits out very easily without "digging" into a square shaped hole.

I made these out of foam board and Aileen's tacky glue, other than that I just used a ruler/pencil/box cutter and eyeballed the various sizes. They really aren't too high quality but they get the job done and we've enjoyed Agricola much more ever since!

Originally I was bummed that we don't have animeeples or vegimeeples but now that I made these storage boxes, everything fits just so.

I hope someone finds these pics/ideas helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Petri dishes work well for a lot of games. One of my friends got them to store his cubes for Pandemic and we have found a lot of other uses for them. They're available in a variety of sizes and depths, they're stackable and they're cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hammatt
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the benefit of anyone in the UK who is looking for a storage solution, today I picked up a plastic storage box (18x27x4cm) in Hobbycraft for £4.50. Fits all the main pieces except the decks and the player counters/fences/stables, perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steviewevie wrote:
For the benefit of anyone in the UK who is looking for a storage solution, today I picked up a plastic storage box (18x27x4cm) in Hobbycraft for £4.50. Fits all the main pieces except the decks and the player counters/fences/stables, perfectly.

I got a box from the DIY section in The Range for £1.50 which takes all the resource tokens, animals, food and multiplier tokens (i.e. not cards or player pieces). And it is an absolutely perfect fit in the box (that was more by luck than judgement).

It has two layers in, and when you open the lid the top layer lifts up and back so you can get pieces of out of both. We just take it out and open it up next to the play area. Setup done.

I might post some pics because I'm not explaining this very well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spaceman wrote:
Sorry it took me a bit to get these pictures posted but it has been a busy week. As you can see in the first picture everything fits in the Agricola box. The top doesn't close completely, depending how carefully I pack the bagged player bits the box is about a 1/4 inch from closing all the way. As you can see I printed out card boxes.

The boxes fit all the pieces really nicely, when playing I sit one box on the open lid of the other to minimize table space. when playing solo then the visible open box lid is where I store my player bits. Again you can get these in the craft section of WalMart for just a few bucks. The boxes significantly reduces the setup and cleanup time. My anicubes are in there as well under the player marker and arrow tokens.

I purchased these exact boxes from Walmart yesterday. I put in all the bits, but then found that it was very difficult to fish the disks out, and I scraped the backs of my fingers in the process. I found myself dreading the restocking of the wood space. Do you have a clever way to get the bits out with these, or am I just ham-fisted?
I ended up putting everything back in baggies.

I think I need a box with curved sides to the compartments so that you can slide the bits out. Are the Planos like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.