United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Fear God and Dreadnought at a convention. It was table heavy with lots of factors determining the chance to hit. As I recall it was very difficult to hit anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the games you've rated, only Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 comes close to being as heavy as Fear God and Dread Nought, and that doesn't have anything like the paperwork.

Great War At Sea isn't a game as such, but a series of games, which still have some paperwork, but are much simpler.

If you want quick play with larger fleets, go for GWaS.
If you want intense detail and a deeper sense of control over the minutae of ship's actions, go for FG&DN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Avalon Hill's Jutland. It's in between the complexity/detail side and playability side fo the two games you listed. If your focus is on the tactical battles, GWAS is no that great, but the operational side is pretty good.

If you decide to go with GWAS, you have to get the Dreadnoughts booklet as it has some good advanced tactical rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, FG&DN is a mini's game not a board game like GWS, so unless you want to get minis, GWS is your choice. OF COURSE, if you like minis' FG&DN is MUCH MUCH Better, I would have to really disagree with Todd Warnken, there is not a whole hell of a lot of table usage. The oft used one is the gunnery hit mod table. It's 1 page long, about 30 total possible mods. Once you have shot for a couple of rounds though, you get the flow because most rarely come into play, or only change once in a while.

exp: you move from long range to medium range, the a mod change, but then you probably won't change again for another 2-3 turns. And difficult to hit? Maybe maybe not, its a simulation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Fear God and Dread Nought is the ASL of naval gaming. But with a much more difficult to digest rulebook and scenario book. It is the least approachable game I own, and if you don't have someone to teach you, you will likely struggle.

SWWaS is a decent series where the focus is on the operational aspects, and the tactical battles are quite simple (yet fun, they feel a bit like Battletech, rolling for hits and crossing off boxes based on hit location). It is much much easier to learn.

So I'd strongly suggest SWWaS (which is much cheaper) to get yourself started into WW2 naval. If you find that the tactical aspects aren't deep enough and you want to get heavily into naval gaming, then dive into the deep with FG&DN

That's my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cicero
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games -- GWAS and FGDN -- are very good, but they're good at different things. GWAS is an operational game first, with a tactical game bolted on. The operational game is brilliant.

FGDN is a tactical game with no operational aspects to it. It's the best tactical game out there.

So it comes down to what you want. Personally, I like to run the operational aspects of the game through GWAS and then, when the fleets sight each other, switch to FGDN to resolve the tactical action.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.