Popular Tags: [View All]
Sandeep Kharkar
United States
Bountiful
UTAH (UT)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday 5 of us played Puerto Rico and finished the game in about 75 minutes. For one of us this was the first time ever, two others were playing for the second time, and the remaining two had played a while ago, so were quite rusty on the rules.

As expected we made some errors/omissions in following the rules. When the game ended the guy who had played a long time before mentioned that he remembered that games took longer and you got adequate time to set up your economy.

This got us wondering about what caused our game to go faster and feel a lot more intense. After re-reading the rules carefully we found the reason for our speedy finish.

At the end of the Mayor phase we were counting up ALL the empty circles on the board rather than just the empty slots in the buildings! With the Haciendas getting taken early, this made us run out of colonists rather quickly, triggering the end of game.

How did it change the game?

# People had a healthy supply of colonists.
# Prospector role got picked often (sometimes twice in a round)
# There were rounds where no one picked Mayor
# There was a lot of goods produced and shipped/traded
# The economy was robust, but also focussed it on production.
# Goods were in short supply in the Craftsman Phase
# There was a lot of spoilage in the Captain Phase
# Most of the production, first two columns of violet, and 10 cost buildings were taken.
# The third column of violet buildings was mostly ignored ( too pricy early, and not so useful later)
# The game felt urgent and intense
# The game finished sooner than expected

In spite of this major blunder the game played well and did not feel broken. I reccommend that people interested in a quicker game try this variant.

"When counting up the number of colonists to put on the colonist ship, count ALL empty circles on the board"

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Batič
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was how our first game looked like, too.

I agree, it speeds up the game a lot, but also changes the strategies to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prospector role was getting chosen twice a round sometimes? I thought that a role was only chosen a maximum of one time per round.

Maybe we are using different definitions of round? I am thinking a round should be the time between changes in governor. In other words, a round is defined as a complete set of player turns, where players can only choose roles during their turn from the pool of roles that have not yet been chosen during the current round.

Make sense?

Anyways, that is an interesting way to make the game go faster.
I recently played my first game with four other people who had never played before, and we had a similar time. I think we played by the rules pretty much. I think that the big thing was that no one spent too long trying to figure out their strategy, as it became apparent, very quickly, that you need to adapt whatever strategy you are using on the go depending on what the other players are trying to do.

Playing with analysis paralysis, while always bad, would be extra bad in this sort of game. Due to everyone getting able to participate in each player's turn, in order, there usually isn't much down time. Unless, of course, people go overboard on their analysis.

w.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandeep Kharkar
United States
Bountiful
UTAH (UT)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Prospector role was getting chosen twice a round sometimes? I thought that a role was only chosen a maximum of one time per round."

In a five player game you use both the Prospector role cards.
In a four player one of them is left out.
So in a five player game this can happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip N
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RagingBull wrote:

At the end of the Mayor phase we were counting up ALL the empty circles on the board rather than just the empty slots in the buildings! With the Haciendas getting taken early, this made us run out of colonists rather quickly, triggering the end of game.

That's how we've been playing from the beginning! I don't know how we missed that in the rules. blush I even wanted to add colonists, because they ended the game too soon for my liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we made the mistake of replacing the colonists at the end of the ENTIRE round, not at the end of the mayor phase as stated in the rules.. thus there was always a build phase in there most turns, creating higher than average colonist draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play more to get faster at the game. I played a 3-player game not too long ago with experienced players that took about 40 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orcanthropy
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The central element in this game is the colonists. As such, increasing the amount of colonists in any way what so ever will directly influence the length of the game. We personally add a ton of colonists to the ship at the beginning of the game if we want a faster game. Doubling the starting amount of colonists will usually cut the game nearly in half as far as length of time played. Same goes for wanting to make the game longer (for some reason).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matejbatic wrote:
That was how our first game looked like, too.

I agree, it speeds up the game a lot, but also changes the strategies to take.

Absolutely. Some strategies require the proper rules in order to be viable. The shorter game favors the corn and building strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
RagingBull wrote:
Yesterday 5 of us played Puerto Rico and finished the game in about 75 minutes.
In spite of this major blunder the game played well and did not feel broken. I reccommend that people interested in a quicker game try this variant.

..."When counting up the number of colonists to put on the colonist ship, count ALL empty circles on the board"

Enjoy!

If your group is experienced, games are quick and intense anyways. My group cracks a lot of jokes/goofs around a fair amount, yet we still find ourselves playing faster and faster as our game count continues to rise.

We can play incredibly fast if we want to, we just don't find 'obsessive/compulsive' Puerto Rico to be fun.

And as others have commented, it changes the game quite a bit to set it up so that you run out of colonists quicker than you should. An interesting 'just for the heck of it' gonzo variant, but not something I'd want to play on a regular basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.