King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a kind of biking that differs from my morning commute like Candyland is different from... Well, you know, GOOD games.

It's called TRIALS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bike_trials

And it is some of the most crazy, amazing shit I've ever seen.

I used to work for a company by name of Kinesis USA. We constructed aluminum bike frames. At the time I was not a biker and didn't know much about the vagaries of the device. I pretty much used my bike (as I pretty much do now) to get from one place to another without having to walk or spend gas money.
I got a blueprint in one day that was lacking a seat tube proper. It had a tube but it was closed with no possibility of attaching a seat. I asked one of the biker dudes what it was all about and he told me about trials. He then proceeded to take his bike out to the parking lot and jump all over the crates, barrels and stacked pallets, seemingly defying the laws of physics as I knew them to exist.

I was all, like, surprise WTF!? I can't do that shit on my FEET let alone with a bike under me!

Recently I had cause to remember this amazing sport and thought I'd share some videos of people doing amazing things with you.

We'll start out with a video or two of a guy in my home town.

Now we go on to some random vids of guys doing their thing. Sorry about the music in these vids as they're (mostly - there's a couple of good ones) all inarguably shit but I didn't put them together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Candyland never looked so appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an event at the first X Games (back when it was still called the Extreme Games). I loved watching it and was kind of annoyed when they didn't have it back at future Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that they really under-inflate their tires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.