Subject: Can you run with the ball? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I've played solo and with a competitor and was very underwhelmed both times. You roll sixes you win, you roll ones and twos you're SOL.

Are you allowed to run with the ball and steal with the ball, or do you have to pass the moment you get to the ball?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
No running with the ball. Go to any of the 4 online sites listed on the game page and you'll quickly see that the luck element is not out of control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayMe1 wrote:
You roll sixes you win, you roll ones and twos you're SOL.

You can invite me (Cwali) on mastermoves.eu. I lost StreetSoccer matches but not to players who think it is a luck-game.

PlayMe1 wrote:
Are you allowed to run with the ball ...

You can run with the ball, but then the other team will get a free kick because that's 'hands' ... In soccer you kick the ball and run, kick, run, aso. So without the ball you are quicker then with the ball, to quote Johan Cruijff. So you often can better pass the ball than play solo.

PlayMe1 wrote:
... and steal with the ball, or do you have to pass the moment you get to the ball?

You cannot stand on the ball. For the savety of the players that's not possible in StreetSoccer. Imagin what happens in soccer if a player stands on the ball or holds the ball between his feet or stand at the ball ... Your legs will soon break when you do that. I see you are from the USA. Do you know soccer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
PlayMe1 wrote:
... and steal with the ball, or do you have to pass the moment you get to the ball?

PlayMe1 wrote:
... You cannot stand on the ball. For the savety of the players that's not possible in StreetSoccer. Imagin what happens in soccer if a player stands on the ball or holds the ball between his feet or stand at the ball ... Your legs will soon break when you do that. I see you are from the USA. Do you know soccer?

Hi,
Yes, even though I am from the U.S. I know soccer, but I also know it as a game where a player can advance it by running with the ball while kicking it forward. In Street Soccer it seems that you can not do that. You can run to get to the ball, but then you must immediately kick it away rather than try to advance it yourself. It would seem to me that you should be able to run with the ball and advance it, although you certainly gain quicker progress by passing it. I guess what I like least about Street Soccer is having to often kick the ball away because you can't move the ball while running with it and you often don't have enough pips left on the die to pass it to someone. So kicking it away to no one seems like an illogical move. I'm sure that the more you play the better you get at knowing when and where to kick it to keep it from the opposing players and how to position yourself between them and the ball, but having to kick it away the moment you get the ball doesn't seem like real soccer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
PlayMe1 wrote:

PlayMe1 wrote:
... You cannot stand on the ball. For the savety of the players that's not possible in StreetSoccer. Imagin what happens in soccer if a player stands on the ball or holds the ball between his feet or stand at the ball ... Your legs will soon break when you do that. I see you are from the USA. Do you know soccer?

Hi,
Yes, even though I am from the U.S. I know soccer, but I also know it as a game where a player can advance it by running with the ball while kicking it forward. In Street Soccer it seems that you can not do that. You can run to get to the ball, but then you must immediately kick it away rather than try to advance it yourself. It would seem to me that you should be able to run with the ball and advance it, although you certainly gain quicker progress by passing it. I guess what I like least about Street Soccer is having to often kick the ball away because you can't move the ball while running with it and you often don't have enough pips left on the die to pass it to someone. So kicking it away to no one seems like an illogical move. I'm sure that the more you play the better you get at knowing when and where to kick it to keep it from the opposing players and how to position yourself between them and the ball, but having to kick it away the moment you get the ball doesn't seem like real soccer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ondatje
United States
Marina Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
PM1 wrote 'but having to kick it away the moment you get the ball doesnt seem like real soccer.'

soccer games have many instances throughout the course of a match where I see players just kick the ball away the moment he gets the ball. Theres alot of times where I say to myself 'if only he just took a little more time with it'. But the players often times are under pressure and sometimes what seems like an illogical choice might well be the accumulation of stress throuhgout the match. Im sure youve heard the phrase 'anywhere will do' towards the end of a game too.
Also running with the ball I imagine you mean dribbling, you actually do dribble in certain situations in streetsoccer, Mostly when you roll a 1. But say you roll a 3 and send the ball down the field and then use that same player the next turn to get to the ball, well to me I see that as a long dribble run. There are many times in real soccer where a player plays the ball 10-15 yds in front of himself and chases it.
Give Streetsoccer a little time, you will see the nuances of the game the more you play!! It happened to me the same way. I dismissed at first. Now I cant wait for the Full Squad simulation on mastermoves.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"running with the ball" still sounds more like rugby or basketbal to me.
You can dribble in soccer though you don't see that normally in modern 'one-touch-soccer'. Even in the famous solo goals by Maradonna he only kicked the ball a few times and was not so close to the ball most of the time. That's the art!
BTW: Adding running-with-ball to the StreetSoccer game simply means the end of the tactics.
And BTW: There are many other soccer games where you can run like a rugby player. You can try these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ondatje
United States
Marina Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
I know SS has been playtested to 'death' so if Cwali says thats the end of tactics ,forget it. Dont touch it. Its good as it can possibly be NOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.