Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, events have been conspiring against him, but I can't help but feeling that the message the McCain campaign has been on just isn't working. It doesn't seem to be responding to those events and seems like its setting him up to look out of touch and emphasizing his weaknesses over his strengths.

I'm pretty specifically referring to:

1. The restricted access to his VP candidate that's magnified the few interviews she's done to the point of ridiculousness. Biden's had "oops" moments on the trail as well, but since he's accessible and talks more to the media, they're written off as minor errors. Not so with Palen.

2. The "I'm suspending my campaign..." moment really bet a huge amount on the first bailout vote that didn't come through for him and made him look like he couldn't "work Washington." Shouldn't they have known they had it in the bag?

3. His debate performance - what's McCain's reputation on the trail? That he can appear testy, bear a grudge, and do "straight talk" that doesn't seem to respond to events unfolding around him. Yet they didn't seem to prep him well for the debate.

4. His interactions with the media - the tape from the editorial review board in Iowa summed it up pretty well so far. Blame the media for the things that are going on, ignore things that are being reported in polls, deny what various op-ed pieces are saying, and claim that you're always 100% truthful. While I understand there's an impression that the media looks kindly on his opponent, it's striking that the McCain camp sets themselves up for that.

I'm struck by the amount of fodder that the McCain camp has provided for the media and others to use against them and their inability to craft a message that people seem to care about. Events in Michigan underscore that and the campaign's been fairly roundly criticized for openly abandoning the state with such publicity.

So if McCain wants a better than reasonable shot at regaining ground and having a chance at the election, is it time to jettison some of his current staff and find new ones? Does that hurt him more than sticking with the current one? Or does he do it quietly behind the scenes?

While his campaign doesn't strike me as a Dukakis/Gore fiasco, it's approaching it pretty rapidly based on their actual performance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Serious Answer: No, Obama is doing just fine as it is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big fan of keith olberman but I thought he made a good comment about the McCain campaign. He said that they just need to run out the clock at this point now that the campaign is close.

Keep folks distracted from the debacle of the last eight years and they have a chance to win.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
I think the debates helped a lot of people (the people who don't pay attention to politics but who have the intention to vote) to make the difference between both sides. And it is pretty obvious that there isn't much difference between what McCain offers, and what Bush has done. Both are going in the same direction. There's no doubt that McCain would do it much better than Bush (as long as he is alive), but it is still the same direction. Also, nobody really wants Palin as a president.
McCain strategy so far has been to try some stunts, so I am sure is going to do a few more by the end of the month. The only shake-up that would be significant would be to replace Palin.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might be too late.

At this point, I think it is more important to preserve their dignity than to win at all cost. Both Palin and McCain are well respected reformers and I think they need to do their soul searching and decide how they want to end this. The quest for glory and power may have compromised them to work with some of the Bush gang, but I believe their inner integrity should bring them home as good national servants all along.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
I'm not a big fan of keith olberman but I thought he made a good comment about the McCain campaign. He said that they just need to run out the clock at this point now that the campaign is close.

Keep folks distracted from the debacle of the last eight years and they have a chance to win.


Hmmm. Your comments seem to belie the polling that's been done, particularly at a state level. Indeed, Obama's gained ground in every battleground state. Thus my question.

Polls are showing a fairly inexorable shift in the direction of Obama/Biden and the moves the McCain camp has made have seemed to help more than hurt.

What are you basing the idea that the campaign is close on?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the campaigning points have been going Obama's way, but that just means the political capital bag is filled with Republican rest cubes, right?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria wrote:
I think it might be too late.

At this point, I think it is more important to preserve their dignity than to win at all cost. Both Palin and McCain are well respected reformers and I think they need to do their soul searching and decide how they want to end this. The quest for glory and power may have compromised them to work with some of the Bush gang, but I believe their inner integrity should bring them home as good national servants all along.


It's been said here to death (OK, by me), but I think the pedophile ad really did it for me and many other people. He not only stuck to it, but angrily defended it in the Des Moines video. (I looked up the information on his website, like he said. The only justifications for it I could find were a National Review cite in a press release and some other obviously partisan source. Not inspiring. If I can look at the statute and see what it is and what its amendments are meant to do in 10 minutes...)

The days of hard-knuckle LBJ politics aren't over, but have shifted: "Call him a pigfucker." "We can't do that!" "I just wanna see the bastard deny it." We're in the YouTube era, where past and self-contradictory positions can be exposed in minutes' time. Instantaneous fact-checking. Hillary fell into that trap, and McCain met the same fate in a big way.

The fact that McCain also chose the least corrupt politician in Alaska to be his running mate, after his early trial balloons got summarily rejected, says something about how he more or less won the battles but lost the war.

More than that though, much as Republicans would like this to be Year Zero, it is a referendum on the past 8 years, 6 of which they've had total control over. That's a mighty strong headwind of failure for McCain to run against, notwithstanding the 3 G's of God, Guns and Gays wedge issues that usually get trotted out this time of year.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
Jatoha wrote:
I'm not a big fan of keith olberman but I thought he made a good comment about the McCain campaign. He said that they just need to run out the clock at this point now that the campaign is close.

Keep folks distracted from the debacle of the last eight years and they have a chance to win.


Hmmm. Your comments seem to belie the polling that's been done, particularly at a state level. Indeed, Obama's gained ground in every battleground state. Thus my question.

Polls are showing a fairly inexorable shift in the direction of Obama/Biden and the moves the McCain camp has made have seemed to help more than hurt.

What are you basing the idea that the campaign is close on?


Well, I'll be honest, I don't know the poll numbers. I just thought it was an interesting strategy. Get the numbers as close as possible and then 'run out the clock' by having a lot of distractions from the real issues.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
I think Palin probably rescued herself in the debate.


Maybe. There are still 6 ways to fuck up before breakfast. Free Sarah Palin!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Maybe the plan is to get rid of him in favor of Ms. Perky; anyway, maybe that's her plan.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.