Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I'm looking for a game similar to the Emperor and Pharaoh city building PC games.

Anyone know which games I should look at?

Thanks in advance

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dillon
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The City building PC games are a pretty platform specific type of game, the complexity of the various interrelated parts would be hard to recreate in a board game, or even a console game system. These are some of my favorite type of PC games too.

What specifically about City Builders do you really like? Designing the physical network of roads and industrial areas and residential areas? Watching something grow from a small village to a thriving city? Managing the various resources so that there are no shortages? That would help narrow it down some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
Hi all

I'm looking for a game similar to the Emperor and Pharaoh city building PC games.

Anyone know which games I should look at?

Thanks in advance

James

Big City is a city building game in modern times. A reprint is in the works if you can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'City Building' board games typically are only that, you 'build' bits of the city and score points for them (see 'Big City', 'Capitol', 'Manhattan', 'Mexica', etc)

If you want resource management/availability and population to matter, then 'La Citta' and 'Antiquity' are the closest to the PC type games, and 'Agricola' and 'Caylus' might also go some way towards scratching that itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
City building? Then the new release Master Builder seems right up your alley.

Literally build a 3D city on your table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to sound strange, but I think if you haven't tried Puerto Rico, or Princes of Florence, you might try those. You don't really situate building in PR, but you are slowly building up a city/port with plantations and buildings to further your economic flow.

With Princes of Florence you are building, but more to attract artisans in order to score better.

I think you might take a look at those, if you aren't pleased with the ones already mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Big City, it is a very good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
Going to sound strange, but I think if you haven't tried Puerto Rico, or Princes of Florence, you might try those. You don't really situate building in PR, but you are slowly building up a city/port with plantations and buildings to further your economic flow.

With Princes of Florence you are building, but more to attract artisans in order to score better.

I think you might take a look at those, if you aren't pleased with the ones already mentioned above.

I think Puerto Rico would be ideal it the city building lasted longer. It feels that just as you really getting an interesting city going, the game suddenly ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity
Attika
Settlers of catan 2-player card game
Le Citta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help.

I specifically like the growing a village from small to a thrivng city and managing resources.

I thought about Agricola but I'm a bit confused about the versions of it and what exactly you get with the game i.e animeeples, Z-deck etc.

I'll take a look at this Big City and Master Builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I specifically like the growing a village from small to a thrivng city and managing resources.

I thought about Agricola but I'm a bit confused about the versions of it and what exactly you get with the game i.e animeeples, Z-deck etc.

Big City is one of my favorite games, but there is no resource management involved in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I'd actually suggest Caylus. I loved the city building PC games, and the whole flow of getting raw material X and building a plant to process into Y to combine with Z into final product -- it really scratches an itch for me. Caylus has a bit of that, in that there are resources that you convert into buildings which can give you either points or more/better resources.

Now, I think Agricola is generally thought of as a "better Caylus", but the theme is further from what you were asking and I haven't played it so I can't say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dillon
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:

You sound like you might like Power Grid. You're not building a city, per se, but building a electrical network. Plenty of resource management in that one. Also maybe the crayon rails games (Empire Builder, Eurorails, etc). Another game of building networks. See also Railways of the World and Age of Steam.

As far as building a city from a village, I haven't played Big City, but it seems like it would be a good pick. Maybe Antiquity would be good, but I haven't played that one either. Civilization might have a similar feel on a bigger scale, building civilizations instead of cities. Of course Carcassonne is building cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
Thanks for the help.

Those seem like great choices for city specific games, but the first thought I had when reading what you specifically like was Catan. Its still one of my favorites for starting small and growing your infrastructure and resource collection to win. Have fun with whatever you pick up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.