United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me theres a lot of GG and now thumb begging going on. Its ok with me if thats what they want to do. I haven't seen a begging post yet thats made me want to donate anything though.Maybe its always been like this. I have only been visiting(living!)the geek for less than a year.I remember the first time somebody ever gave me a thumb. I was like a 2 year old-nice feeling! I remember my first tip too. Felt pretty cool. I remember who gave me the first thumb and first tip. Just my opinion but I don't think I would have had those same nice feelings(which I still get here from time to time)if I'd begged for them. I think it would have been a far less rewarding feeling. Anyhow thats my 2 cents on the subject and if someone wants 2 cents from me I'm happy to give it if you do something worthy of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame this behaviour to Agricola and it's begging cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nick
Canada
TORONTO
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, there are a lot of losers on this site. Begging is a symptom of a society that has completely lost touch with it's own self-worth, and does not understand the value of work.

Begging by people who don't "need" to beg, is like giving the truly destitute a big slap in the face, and it de-values the true worth of sincere charity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's sad to see people beg when many of us have worked to get our rewards. I've got over 60 files and 60 images. Over 25 microbadge designs. Plus many, many posts and comments. Getting an avatar and badges free just diminishes the hard work so many people have given to the site through the various wonderful contributions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself with the urge to beg you to learn to use paragraphs and your space bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Begging goes in cycles. There will be a lot of it for awhile, then it will go away for awhile.

The last big spat of it that I remember was around the time I decided to write this thread in 2006: How I got my Avatar.....

I think it's going to die down for a time now that there have been so many complaints.

I'm ready for the next one tho with this image:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
School starting soon! Better read a lot of 'fun' books now.
mbmbmbmbmb
Be very careful, I wrote a thread to try and stop the begging going on and it got deleted. I have to go into hiding now so I don't get deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:
Be very careful, I wrote a thread to try and stop the begging going on and it got deleted. I have to go into hiding now so I don't get deleted.

I"m not trying to stop it. I am trying to suggest that earning things makes them more rewarding. They can beg away.Some of them get lots of goodies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:

It's a sign of pride now to get banned...go on...get banned...all the "kool Kidz" are doing it!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you are too proud to beg, but here, please, let me give you some spaces after some periods.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyboyI'monyoursideentirely.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one to typically ignore this community minutia but agree that the pandering has increased to a noticable level.

As I understand it, GG is here to drive content by acting as an award redeemable for something that people that have something to contribute would want. I don't think the issue is the pandering so much as the perceived value of GG by those that have collected more than a small amount.

The fix is for Aldie to create more inventive uses for GG that appeal to a wide range of content contributors.

I like the idea of GG auctions but I think there is a gap between that and the obvious avatar and uberbadge items. Microbadges were an excellent step but the GG economy needs another infusion of products or services so that those that have it don't hand it out so easily which will, in theory, drive those who don't have it to make an effort to contribute content.

Surely, if someone can create an inventive begging post, they can just as easily create session reports which require no more equipment. Afterall, these people are actually playing games aren't they? They don't just spend all their time here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had someone geekmail me to ask if they could post images of my PnP game, even though they would credit me with the images I felt it was paramount to begging.

When I informed admin they said that this was acceptable behaviour and the guidelines stated that this was allowable. To me it still felt wrong. I wonder how much GG this person has made by geekmailing anyone with a PnP game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
I had someone geekmail me to ask if they could post images of my PnP game, even though they would credit me with the images I felt it was paramount to begging.

When I informed admin they said that this was acceptable behaviour and the guidelines stated that this was allowable. To me it still felt wrong. I wonder how much GG this person has made by geekmailing anyone with a PnP game?

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of it being a PnP game. Would you be similarly objecting to people posting images of published games? Should only the game designer/publisher be allowed to post images of games? If so, the BGG image galleries would be a lot sparser...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
RaDiKal wrote:
I like the idea of GG auctions but I think there is a gap between that and the obvious avatar and uberbadge items. Microbadges were an excellent step but the GG economy needs another infusion of products or services

True. With virtual economies like this, you need places where the money disappears, or the inflation will just take everything.

With GG auctions, GG doesn't disappear. It just changes owner. With avatar and microbadges, the GG really disappears. Some more (useless) uses of GG would be in place. Problem is I can't think of any…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
The flip side of this is that with more uses for gg there will be more reason for begging. At the moment most beggers will stop after they get the fairly minimal amount required for their avatar.

Adding more things to spend gg on will reduce the supply of gg to beggars while also increasing the demand. You may assume that a poor liklihood of success would reduce the amount of begging but I have millions of mails in my spam trap that would beg to disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:

I don't understand what the problem is here. Someone posted some images from a game you made and got some GG out of it. Why is that bad? Everyone can post an image from a game, and in fact is encouraged to do so!

I can't see the reason why he even had to contact you, however that was a plus for him (being polite and also crediting you), not something to accuse him of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it's time for the admins to get tough: arrest these beggars on vagrancy charges and get them off the streets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:
whatambush wrote:

I don't understand what the problem is here. Someone posted some images from a game you made and got some GG out of it. Why is that bad? Everyone can post an image from a game, and in fact is encouraged to do so!

I can't see the reason why he even had to contact you, however that was a plus for him (being polite and also crediting you), not something to accuse him of.

The guidelines state that he needs my permission to post any images that are mine. He took the correct course of action, but it appears to me that he was trying to make GG from images that I have created myself. I can draw the comparison to begging which is making money from someone else's hard work. If he had printed out the game and took photographs of himself playing the game then I would have no qualms, in fact even pleased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
whatambush wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of it being a PnP game. Would you be similarly objecting to people posting images of published games? Should only the game designer/publisher be allowed to post images of games? If so, the BGG image galleries would be a lot sparser...

Of course I do not object to people taking photographs of games and posting them here on the Geek wether they are PnP or published games, Photographs of published games are images created by users and not those created originaly by the publisher. Imagine if I contacted Ewe Rosenberg and asked for original images of Agricola so I can post them on the Geek for my profit. Wether it is right or wrong, myself I do not feel comfortable with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henkka wrote:
I blame this behaviour to Agricola and it's begging cards.
People think they could just play the right occupation card to take care of that, but truth is, there's only one in the deck shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe V.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is all of your nifty microbadges.

Enough of this forum... I need to go upload more images now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.