Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've got a friend back home who is seriously considering picking this game up for his gift to himself for Christmas. He's a GW... well not fan but he does appreciate some of their games but he's a solo gamer for the most part. His girlfriend thinks that Settlers is really highbrow.

Is this the game that he seriously wants to pursue or is there another sci-fi style dungeon crawler (with solo potential) that he could consider (or at least let me show to him before he poo poos it).

I really don't know anything about Space Hulk beyond what I've read in session reports and a few reviews. Could I get some really well thought out views on my query. Casey (my friend) is a great guy but he's not rich and this game has shown itself to be pricey. I don't want buyers remorse to set in after he finds that it (potentially) doesn't really do it for him.

A little help would be great. Thanks.

(and yes I know I could shove this into the Space Hulk game section but this will hit a wider audience and I'd like to avoid losing someone who might not see this otherwise.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't a ton of decisions for the Genestealer player, other than hiding and disguising threats with blips. Not sure this would work very well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zippy grey wedge owner
Malaysia
Putrajaya
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I was a GW fan [you can check out my profile for my dark history; in fact, check out all repliers' profile ] I'd tell you Space Hulk is one of the greatest board games out there, and perhaps the greatest sci-fi dungeon crawler. It now has a few competitors with more chrome like Doom. There are more, I'm sure. Not sure about solo potential though.

Tell your friend these games really should not be played solo. You need at least 2 people for sci-fi dungeon crawlers, and board games are a social activity anyway. If he has a girlfriend who's willing to try out games, he'll be better rewarded playing "chick-friendly" ones with her. There are many many lists & threads here. Trust me, he'll be happier.

Here's a sampler:
Recommend me a light but long boardgame
New Gamer and his wife - couples review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brandon
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell your pal not to give up hope. I introduced my (now) wife to the game. The link is to how I did it.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/160001

Good luck, it's a terrific game and I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
The only real option for solo Space Hulk...

Space Hulk SP
http://files.filefront.com/SpaceHulk+SP+109+binzip/;7175441;/fileinfo.html

BGG is having trouble parsing the link so you will need to cut/paste it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mickelsen
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles, rules and scenarios for Space Hulk are readily available online. It would be fairly easy to put together a print-and-play version to try out.

I think the minis for this game are the biggest issue. If your friend already has some Genestealers and Terminators, then he's ready to go.

If he doesn't already have an assortment of GW minis, then he might want to consider if he wants to spend the time to assemble and paint them - or pay the extra for someone else to paint them...

If I didn't already own Space Hulk, I would consider spending the money on a copy of Warhammer 40K - Battle for Macgragge and a copy of Assault on Black Reach instead. In fact, I'll probably do that anyway. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll pass on the thoughts thus far when I talk to him tomorrow. As far as his girlfriend playing... ummm, ok... I'd love to see that but I really don't think she's the bug type... although after having read the session report... well who knows. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Space Hulk to be pretty old mechanics. I've played the computer version a few times and it helped to burn me out on the game pretty quickly.

I'd look up Descent if I had to recommend a single strategic combat game. It could be played solo easy enough if you chose to not use the trap and dodge type cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
I find Space Hulk to be pretty old mechanics. I've played the computer version a few times and it helped to burn me out on the game pretty quickly.

I'd look up Descent if I had to recommend a single strategic combat game. It could be played solo easy enough if you chose to not use the trap and dodge type cards.

I understand but my friend is looking for a sci-fi dungeon crawl specifically... so Descent isn't really appropriate at all for this choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then how about Doom? It's a good sci-fi dungeon crawl, very much in the mould of Space Hulk but a whole lot easier to obtain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Then how about Doom? It's a good sci-fi dungeon crawl, very much in the mould of Space Hulk but a whole lot easier to obtain.

While Doom is an excellent game, it is not suitable as single-player.
I actually think Space Hulk would work well in that regard. The Genestealers have very few options. Often moves are more or less mandatory. So if he takes on the role of the marines, it should be possible to have some challenging games. If he spawns some extra Genestealers each round, to make up for the fact that blips are "open", the game should work ok as single-player.
Back when I played it a lot, I used to play like this when testing new maps. But that being said, the game is definitely best with two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Space Hulk. I did a solo session report here on the geek. Space Hulk is not that hard to play solo. The thing you miss most from playing solo is that you may know how many stealers are on each blip. I remedied that by blindly drawing the blips the best I could and then I had my daughter do it. Your girlfriend could easily draw the blips for you and place them face down so you do not know what they are.

The solo rules in the files section are from the Deathwing expansion. You can easily find other variants for solo Space Hulk.

I would pursue the game but just remember it would be an expensive Christmas gift. If he can find the game without the figures he could always buy paper miniatures, such as these from One Monk.

There are always rumors that GW is going to make a 3rd edition but I doubt it will be as good as 1st edition.

Another option for him to try is Legions of Steel. This game is very popular amongst Space Hulk fans as it is similar to Space Hulk and a very good game. It can be hard to find but does not usually sell as high as Space Hulk does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,
You already own the best game to recommend to your friend- 5150. They are hidden at the back, but the Xenoform rules (p. 92-94) provide a space hulk type game for one player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plasticaddict wrote:
The tiles, rules and scenarios for Space Hulk are readily available online. It would be fairly easy to put together a print-and-play version to try out.

I think the minis for this game are the biggest issue. If your friend already has some Genestealers and Terminators, then he's ready to go.

As a note, the bulk of the value of this game is in the miniatures.
There are 20 genestealers and 10 terminators. The terminators alone retail for $100 for the set. I think the genestealers come to like $50 or 60.

Aside from the tiles and the minis, you'll also need some six sided dice and a "gun jam" die. The last would be easy to simulate, but you can't play without it.

Quote:
If I didn't already own Space Hulk, I would consider spending the money on a copy of Warhammer 40K - Battle for Macgragge and a copy of Assault on Black Reach instead. In fact, I'll probably do that anyway. robot

not sure if full blown 40K is the way to go if you want a derelict ship crawler. I'd try Doom first. Or, you could buy my Space Hulk set

EDIT: I really should hire a copy editor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mickelsen
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
plasticaddict wrote:

not sure if full blown 40K is the way to go if you want a derelict ship crawler.

Agreed.

Just to clarify - I would by the 40K sets just for the minis, since most of the rest of Space Hulk can be easily printed out.
Between the two 40K starter sets, you would end up with *many of* the main forces you need for Space Hulk, plus lots of fun extras to sell, trade or convert.

* Apparently, Battle for Macgragge only contains 10 Termagants and 6 Genestealers, so you would need to proxy or trade to get all the Genestealers you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played most dungeon crawlers, Heroquest, Advanced Heroquest, Warhammerquest, Doom, Descent, Dark World Space Crusade and advanced Space Crusade. And I own them all including Legions of Steel and for my money Space Hulk is THE game to own.
The 1st edition has the best rule set but the 2nd edition has the best marine mini's. The 2nd edition also has 18 missions opposed to 6 for the original. If your looking for a real challenge get the second edition the new flamer rules are harsh. I go back and forth as to which I prefer.
Advanced Space Crusade is also great right out of the box and gives you more of a sci-fi dungeon crawl experience with the whole exploration phase and all. They made rules to incorporate Terminator marines and Librarians etc, etc. The problem is it skewed the game in favor of the marines. Still, a good game.
Legions of steel is also good but it's just a bit more fiddly and believe it or not the game is even harder on the marines but as pointed out you can usually aquire one for less than Space Hulk.
Doom can be played solo, I posted rules on the doom site for one variant I made up which works well. However as a multi player game Doom is more a run for your life and don't bother to try to kill everything or your Doomed. IT IS WICKED SKEWED TOWARDS THE INVADER and it's only fun for the marines if you like to lose.....a lot.
Space hulk is a bit more balanced and {at least with the 1st edition} they recommend you play two games and switch sides, the player with the most surviving marines the overall winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play space hulk solo on a monthly basis and find it to be very enjoyable. I say tell your friend to buy it and see if he likes it. It always sells for a good price so he wont lose any cash if he doesn't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.