Subject: Movement Over Troops - Reserve for Recruitment - Retreat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Friedrich last night (2 player variant from the Histogame website) with my brother. A couple of questions that I can't seem to find covered on BGG (and have dug in the rules but may not be looking in the right place):

1) Are you allowed to move over your own troops and supply cubes? I understand you are not allowed to retreat over them, but would assume that during the movement phase you could move over generals over your supply cubes and vice versa. Would a general moving over a general have to stack or can they just pass through?;

2) Can Reserve cards be used for recruitment purposes at any amount you want? Presume you would use as a 13 or something else high to get you to a six multiple?;

3) Can you move a retreating general deep into foreign territory well out of supply as long as it meets the retreat rules? Last night I beat one of my brothers double stack generals with -11. He lost most of his armies but still had both generals so assume the double stack moves back 11. He was Prussia, but I was able to move him deep into Austrian territory where he was out of supply and had no chance to recover his next turn. Assume this is fair, but seems an actual retreat in battle would be back into your own territory;

Any help (or hey stupid that's in the rules) would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is all in the rules ! I've not played much but I think the answers are:
1. No. Pretty certain about this. I think there's even something in the rules about how people need to remember that rule, and mark what's moved somehow or other?
2. Yes, but don't Reserve cards just go 1-10 (or 11 for Spinal Tap fans)? You could use it for recruitment, but in general I think they're better used to prevent that situation in 3 from happening: make it high enough to lose the battle but limit your loses to just 1 army.
3. Yes. In fact, that's exactly what the attacker wants to do (and why the defender should cut their losses early, at least some of the time). Thematically, I guess you've beaten them SO BADLY (-11!) that their retreat is totally out of (their) control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Snooze got it all right. To quote from the rules:

Quote:
1) Are you allowed to move over your own troops and supply cubes? I understand you are not allowed to retreat over them, but would assume that during the movement phase you could move over generals over your supply cubes and vice versa. Would a general moving over a general have to stack or can they just pass through?;

Rule 4, first para: " (..) A player may move as few or as many pieces as he wishes, but one piece must finnish its move before another can start and cannot be
moved again that phase. Under no circumstances may a
piece jump over any other piece.
"

Quote:
2) Can Reserve cards be used for recruitment purposes at any amount you want? Presume you would use as a 13 or something else high to get you to a six multiple?;

Yes, they can, but for a maximum of 10 points. Note that you don't have to hit the exact costs. For instance, 2 armies cost 12, so you can pay with 13 points, losing one point for nothing. -- Reserves are too valuable to use them for recruitment (normally), but if you really desire, it is not against the rules.

Quote:
3) Can you move a retreating general deep into foreign territory well out of supply as long as it meets the retreat rules? Last night I beat one of my brothers double stack generals with -11. He lost most of his armies but still had both generals so assume the double stack moves back 11. He was Prussia, but I was able to move him deep into Austrian territory where he was out of supply and had no chance to recover his next turn. Assume this is fair, but seems an actual retreat in battle would be back into your own territory;

Yes, this was a valid retreat. -- The idea is that if you suffer a -11, you obviously have played your last TC, going a high risk. So you deserve everything you get. A -11 should be a Rout, not a coordinated retreat. So, instead of introducing rules for pursuit, morale, demoralization and rally, the supply rules simply finish you off.

Furthermore: If the loser would be allowed to choose the retreat path, he could use the -11 in a way that his troops are "force-marching" in a theatre where they are desperately needed (in the 4-player game for instance from the russian front against the French to protect Magdeburg, which is the last unconquered French objective). -- Introduing complicate retreat rules would be possible to prevent this, but one design-target was a simple and clean set of rules.

Hope that helps!

richard sivel,
designer of friedrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you both - I assumed the answer to #1 was in the rules somewhere, but we couldn't find it in the heat of the game. Richard - seems like a great game, now I just need to find more people to play it! Not sure I can get the wife on board. :soblue:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.