Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone who has played/owned both help me out? Is the bigger version worth the higher price/required space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the bigger version better due to inertia. The bigger tracks move less when bumped by hands and the bigger cars are less affected by track bumps. Space and portability are not issues for me since I have large tables and do not take it outside the home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played mini, but I've played A LOT of regular pitchcar with all it's expansions. My group loves it unabashedly, except for one guy who won't play if we put the jumps to cover the gap between tables.

Anyways, I really can't imagine trying to play a smaller version of it, especially with 8 players. Seems like it'd be pretty hard to get your hand in there to flick the cars without messing up other people.

Obviously, you don't HAVE to get the expansions, which will make it much smaller, but there's a lot to be said for the jumps and extra long straights.

In the interest of bias, I have absolutely no issues with how big the railroad tycoon board is, or how much space an 8 player TI3 game takes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would only want the first extension and the long straights. The second extension with the looping intersection doesnt look like it adds that much (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
I think I would only want the first extension and the long straights. The second extension with the looping intersection doesnt look like it adds that much (correct me if I'm wrong).

Corrected.

You want them ALL. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Crokinole instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

The extra curve pieces in extension 2 are especially necessary to make the most out of the long straights. The 45 degree ones are especially nice. If you get everything else, you'll have trouble making the track loop without these pieces (unless you don't plan to use it all together, but then, why bother?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LankyEngineer wrote:
Get Crokinole instead.

Got you covered already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LankyEngineer wrote:
Get Crokinole instead also.

Correction #2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tryhorn
Australia
Tuart Hill
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pitchcar mini and its expansions. We often have 6 - 8 players playing without any issues reguarding the smaller pieces. It's ability to be transported easier and play on a smaller table is it's strength.

I highly recommend getting the expansions, other people That have bought the game without them soon purchase them anyway :D

Both will generate hours of fun so really the only decision you have to make is related to available space and budget.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Got you covered already.

The one thing that really aggravates me about pitchcar is that the track joints disturb play. As a result, you must either shim the track or deal with a game full of errant flicks. Neither alternative is particularly fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shimming the track takes about 2-3 minutes with a couple of people doing it. That, and the errant bump doesn't bother me. You learn where the bump is and at least when I play, we usually run multiple races, so you get to really know the track.

To answer the question, I don't have mini, but to me it seems like it would be harder to get a good flick with a smaller, lighter car. If you have a decent sized table (I have a regular kitchen table with a leaf) the full size will work. Expansions are very nice to have, as well. Because it was available, I was able to get a second full set along with the expansion. Less limitation on what you can build.

But, really, either way, small or large, I don't think you can go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Other-Asia
msg tools
badge
I have the Mini version, which is a fine version of the game and quite portable too - same as any other boxed game.

I would like to say I've played the full PitchCar too but with my first flick of such I lost the disk down the back of the table. shake Of course with smaller disks that would not have happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.