Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antti Tahvanainen
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think one of the most common reasons for complains of Origins is caused by climate change on first round, before some players have their first turns, resulting those players to get blocked for the rest of game. This led me to an idea.. what if the climate changes didn't happen instantly, but with a delay of one game round? Then you had some time to prepare and find new places to live etc.
I feel this could also be thematically plausible, as Ice ages usually start slowly with cooling period of ~thousand years, and I think even prehistoric people (as well as animals) would notice things like "The sea level is rising, we have to move out".

I haven't tried this rule, but I think I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
For game play reasons, this sounds quite interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Tahvanainen
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this variant today.. worked quite nicely, did not change a lot but something.. some players still got stuck on islands. I think one extra rule is needed.. make sure Hobbit takes turn before Peking man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried a variant where (to avoid first turn blues) players could ignore climate change on the first turn of the game only. That is,if the climate changed the first turn, one could still freely move through deserts and jungles, and would not be instantly killed on those spots.

I think I like your suggestion better.

Your suggestion does not preserve the catastrophism flavor of climate change. For instance, the "Atlantis" when the Black Sea suddenly flooded (due to sea level rise during global warming) which killed off the civilization living in the fertile Black Sea basin. But it does give the players more control over their destinies, and they feel not so helpless in the face of nature's extremes. I think this is a positive suggestion, and will recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.