Aaron Watson
United States
West Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: This posting originally accused the Geek of allowing questionable banners and tower ads of a sexual nature to be presented. I accused them of being hypocritical in not allowing users to upload certain photos while stuff like this was gyrating on my screen. Nothing hardcore, but the kind of stuff that would still make me feel like I had to hide my monitor from my wife or workmates.

I asked that these kind of ads not be permitted on the Geek.

AS you can see below, many users suggested I had malware or adware on my computer, since no one else had seen anything like what I had.

True enough, I had only seen the ads on one of the computers at my home. Never on my personal laptop, or my work computer.

A sweep of my other computer found some adware, and after its removal the ads have not been seen yet.

My apologies to Boardgamegeek and their willingness to help me with my request regardless of me pointing fingers.

So, sorry folks... nothing risque to see here... move along, and enjoy a smut free Boardgamegeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first I've seen of them. Have you checled for spyware/malware, or are you sure there's no cookies from adult sites? Not trying to be a jerk. . . maybe someone else uses your computer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Watson
United States
West Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Legitimate thought. I've got some pretty decent sweeper and anti-virus software that's kept my computer pretty clean. I'll do another full sweep though... I would actually be very happy if the source was my computer rather than from the Geek itself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad...nothing like that on my screen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
if you got me the domain of the advertiser, I could stop this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Watson
United States
West Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When they pop up again I'll get that info for you.

Me to wife... "Honestly, honey! I'm doing it to help others!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie purposely adds these to encourage ad block donations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Aldie purposely adds these to encourage ad block donations.

Actually, if I'd known there were ads like this, I would have turned my ad-block off a year ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, I'm not perusing the right sites away from BGG. All I get are ads for ways to apply pancakes to hamsters heads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I never see these ads.

I'm another vote for you having some malware on your system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've got ads on in all their glory, and I view this site from 4 different machines regularly... and nothing close to this ever pop up...these are not coming from BGG. The most "risque" ad I've ever seen is an ad for "Russian Beauties".

So definitely another vote for malware on your system... go get adaware, spybot, etc running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Watson
United States
West Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've 'swept' my computer and it came off cleaner than its ever been. No mal-ware there, however, I just realized that I posted this post from my wifes laptop.

She leaves it on constantly and is likely more trusting when downloading things. I'll check out her computer tonight.

I've never known of mal-ware actually replacing ads on a site before, but hey I'm sure they can do that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Poltergeist_2000 wrote:
I've never known of mal-ware actually replacing ads on a site before, but hey I'm sure they can do that...

Yeah, they do that! The worst are the ones that start highlighting words on your page and they all link to other sites.

Oh, and when you check those sites to see if they're on that PC, don;t forget to post the links here. So we can make sure never to go there. Yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another ditto for the "I never see this stuff." Anime chickies are about as wild as it gets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Watson
United States
West Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the suggestions that it might be malware. I looked at my wifes computer and found that all of the spy sweeper and anti-virus software and all other forms of protection had been turned off.

After doing a thorough sweep I did find some adware. I purged it and haven't seen the offending ads since.

I can't warn you off from any particular site, but I do know that we went to some site not too long ago that was talking about "make your computer run faster"! And it required we install something. After it did it's thing and then asked me to pay to have it execute it's "cleaning" I decided against it and "uninstalled" it.

Personally, I feel it may have left something behind for us...

A BIG APOLOGY TO THE GEEK ADMIN! The offending ads are not of your doing. (Although the pop-down ads that expand simply with the mouse rolling past them are still rather annoying. ) Keep up the great work!

I'll be removing this accusatory posting in the near future, after editing it with an apology and explanation, to "repent" for my accusation.

Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you got it resolved. Darn sneaky malware!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.