Subject: Laminating Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of people putting cards for CDGs and the like in card protectors. What about laminating them? Would that be or not be awesome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would permanently alter the game, which is taboo for many around here. Remember, a lot of these guys save inserts and expansion boxes and even the cardboard frames that they punch the bits out of.

WIth that said, depending on the game it could be awesome. I've done it once for a game that had really cheap, barely thicker than paper cards, and haven't regretted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminated the cards in Dune, Civilization and Advanced Civ (my play copies) and they have lasted for years. I play Dune enough to warrant lamination; the cards have held up quite well.
I also laminate money in my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From an archival point of view laminating cards is a np-no. While the cards last for quite some years (apparently about 20), they will eventually start to deteriorate beause of the lamination. Once laminated there is no way back. You cannot easily take the cards out of the lamination plastic.
Card protectors (sleeves) is the better solution if you plan to keep your games for a really long time.
I seem to remember this topic coming up before, but cannot find the post.
Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.