Subject: Difficulty to pick up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gibson Ng
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently spotted this game, and since it's rated #2 on BGG (#1 for the longest time, recently losing to agricola) I'm wondering for which game the rules are easier to pick up.

So, is it easier to learn puerto rico or agricola?
Thanks in advance fellow BGG members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burian
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I would say that PR is easier in general to pick up than Agricola.

Both have core mechanics that are very similar to other games though which could make one easier to pick up than another (IE played San Juan or Race for the Galaxy? PR should be easy to learn. Played Stone Age or Pillars of the Earth? Agricola has similar core mechanics....)

-k
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kasuga04 wrote:
I would say that PR is easier in general to pick up than Agricola.

I would agree. Agricola has many components, wooden pieces, decks of cards. It is one of the heaviest games to pick up. And since it looks light, you can easily sprian your wrist if you are not prepared for how heavy it is.

PR, on the other hand, is pretty light. No one should have trouble pickingthis up, even the weak and infirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen people take half an hour to explain the rules of Agricola to a table of gamers. Puerto Rico, on the other hand, is a lot simpler to just start playing; I've taught it to pre-teens in 10 or 15 minutes.

I will note, though, that playing Puerto Rico well is another matter.

Also, Agricola is (to a certain degree) two different games -- the family game without cards and the complex game with. Taking out the cards simplifies the players' choices greatly, making the game simply but (in my very limited experience) not necessarily easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch this video:

http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=80

Scott breaks the rules down very easily.

You'll still want to read the rulebook, but it is easy to get through after you've seen a visual demonstration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Puerto Rico is great until you introduce a new player to a game with players of medium skill. The player downstream of the new player always wins.

Agricola does not appear to have this issue.

Power Grid on the other hand is good all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gibson Ng
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hey, thanks all for the advice, I'm probably gonna pick this up this week. Previously I was considering getting the 1910 expansion for TTR, but I'm hearing that vanilla TTR is the most balanced/fun version. What I liked about TTR is that it takes about 2 minutes to teach the game to anyone. I'm getting off topic, thanks for the advice on this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gibson Ng
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
Watch this video:

http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=80

Scott breaks the rules down very easily.

You'll still want to read the rulebook, but it is easy to get through after you've seen a visual demonstration.

VERY handy, thanks monteslu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I guess I would agree that understanding the rules of Puerto Rico is slightly easier, but playing well is harder. It's hard for a beginning gamer to understand how other players' actions force your hand in Puerto Rico. In Agricola, you're in charge of your own destiny. You can be blocked from doing what you wanted, but you can't be forced to spend your resources when you didn't want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gibson Ng
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
I guess I would agree that understanding the rules of Puerto Rico is slightly easier, but playing well is harder. It's hard for a beginning gamer to understand how other players' actions force your hand in Puerto Rico. In Agricola, you're in charge of your own destiny. You can be blocked from doing what you wanted, but you can't be forced to spend your resources when you didn't want to.

That is my FAVORITE type of game, "easy to learn, hard to master" is what you're telling me, and I love that kind of challenge. Thanks for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gibson Ng
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I picked up Puerto Rico today. Can't wait to play it with some friends...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KamHo wrote:
hey, thanks all for the advice, I'm probably gonna pick this up this week. Previously I was considering getting the 1910 expansion for TTR, but I'm hearing that vanilla TTR is the most balanced/fun version. What I liked about TTR is that it takes about 2 minutes to teach the game to anyone. I'm getting off topic, thanks for the advice on this game.

Just a note: I think it was worth it for the larger train cards anyway. The tickets are also slightly modified (I think 3 ticket values were changed) but you can essentially play the basic TTR with larger cards with the expansion. The alternate variants aren't necessary but can be fun to play too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gibson Ng
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta say guys, I've played 4 games since picking it up, and all of the games have been very fun. My friends enjoyed playing it too, and they're not board gamers :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KamHo wrote:
Gotta say guys, I've played 4 games since picking it up, and all of the games have been very fun. My friends enjoyed playing it too, and they're not board gamers

Congratulations! Isn't that the best? Buying a new game and having it become an instant hit?

And it is especially rewarding you have done the research and due diligence to pick that game!

Have fun playing, man. PR is complex enough that it seems as though your strategies can't grow old, they just have to adapt, all the time.

That said, I *do* hanker for other things, even if the game itself isn't old, I just need a new flavor or a change of pace. Maybe Cuba?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the gaming boat and only started playing good games in the past year. I actually started playing Agricola before I had my first game of PR. I like Agricola quite a bit, but since I finally had my first taste of PR a few weeks ago, I can assuredly say I prefer PR. I don't know why exactly, but one of the reasons is like you said, easy to play, hard to play well. I like that the game isn't overly complicated with rules but there's SO much depth to it. Agricola is pretty good as well here, except that teaching it is brutal. It's really not that hard to understand the flow of the game once you get it down, but when the rules first start getting explained to a brand new player, it can seem like a very, very heavy game. Also, I find Agricola leaves me less satisfied in the end because I am always thinking about how much more I could have done if there was just one more turn. It would be like that in many games, including PR, but at the end of a PR game, I feel satisfied and regardless of how well I did, I feel the game is complete.

That point is a fairly hotly discussed issue about Agricola, and I'm not saying it's flawed at all. I understand that part of the design is that you are limited in time and must selectively choose what you will do (because you can't do it all). That just doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone's desires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.