After the Flood» Forums » General

Subject: Name change advised rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: sumerian [+] [View All]
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't the game have been called 'Antediluvium'?

I thought the modern ideal was to have a latin name that transcended national boundries to aid marketing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latin is good for Roman or medieval times, but not for the era 2,500 - 1,000 BC - by Jove!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be ridiculous, the earth is only 4004 and two thirds years old, and they had pet dinosaurs back then anyway.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Rugård Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My limited knowledge of Sumerian tells me that it could be "AMARUBAURRATA WARKI". Or rather it was google taht found the dictionary. Flood and after in one sentence...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
Quote:
Shouldn't the game have been called 'Antediluvium'?

Well if it's set AFTER the flood, then you wouldn't call it ANTEdiluvium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sullivan
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and After the Flood falls more trippingly from the tongue than Postdiluvium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Hellberg Hellberg
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or it could be named after Utnapishtim, the original Noa.
It's got a good feel to it, don't you agree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
Latin is good for Roman...by Jove!

haha! good one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spelling and definition lessons are advised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tomic
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yazpah wrote:
My limited knowledge of Sumerian tells me that it could be "AMARUBAURRATA WARKI". Or rather it was google taht found the dictionary. Flood and after in one sentence...

Well, if you wish to write "After the Flood" in Sumerian I am not sure if that is the correct combination of words. My sumerian is by no means very good, others would even say bad, but I was trying to reason how "After the flood" could be written in Sumerian. Now, we are of course talking about the translitteration of the sumerian signs, i e, the way we who use the modern letters to form words would write it in order to simulate the sumerian cuneiform (or even symbols) writing.

Since sumerian is a so-called agglutinating language, meaning that you start with a noun or verb and then add prefixes or suffixes to it as needed and a sentence can contain one or more of these chains, then it could be that the "Flood" will be in the middle. My proposal is as follows:

enger-a-ma-ru-ak-she (sorry for not being able to write the correct fonts)

where enger-(or rather eger, where the g should have the same symbol on top as on the n in the spanish word manana) -[noun]-ak-she, means After or litterary 'to the back of', and, as can be seen also in your suggestion, Amaru meaning Destructive flood, which in turn is derived from a for 'water', ma for 'to go', ru for 'to send'. Ak in ak-she is also a Genitive so that would make some sense I guess.

Anyway, who am I to state what is correct or not; perhaps we have some authority in sumerian out there who could advise us what it really should be called? :-))

(I tried to be a bit funny with no meaning to offend, but it is difficult to do that in writing sometimes, and I am not sure how this is read as I can't express all the tones et al that I have had in my mind when I wrote this?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tomic
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geas wrote:
or it could be named after Utnapishtim, the original Noa.
It's got a good feel to it, don't you agree? :)

I think Utnapishtim would be an insult to the sumerians since this is the (filthy) Akkadian name of UD.ZI, or Ziusudra as he is also called
;-))

On the other hand, sumerian was dead as a spoken language 4000 years ago, so the Glory of the 3rd Dynasty of Ur was thanks to Akkadian-speaking Sumerians. Sumerian was used as a written language though, during that period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.