If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
So what happens if no one places a unit in the Merchant Shipping box? Does the ship go to no one or does it go to the player in the first turn order box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lawless
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I could see this going either way. I regret I dont have a copy of the rules, but since no one placed there, I dont think anyone would get it, though you are technically tied at zero with initiative breaking the tie. I wouldn't give it to anyone. Shame on whoever placed last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, never thought of that before. We've had it happen just once and never even considered giving it to the player first in the turn order. We didn't give it to any one but, upon reading your post, I'm not sure if that's correct or not...

The rules and the FAQ don't seem to address that specific issue...I'm no rules lawyer, but it could very well be interpreted that, in this case, every one would tie and thus it would go to the first person in the turn order...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I guess it's possible that this may happen in a two-player game where both players are focused on something else that turn, but would never happen in a full game.

Turn order only breaks ties, it doesn't doesn’t give you the additional action of awarding the ship. If you want the ship, place a guy, otherwise, it goes unawarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drabel wrote:
I guess it's possible that this may happen in a two-player game where both players are focused on something else that turn, but would never happen in a full game.

Turn order only breaks ties, it doesn't doesn’t give you the additional action of awarding the ship. If you want the ship, place a guy, otherwise, it goes unawarded.

Citation needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
drabel wrote:

Citation needed.

Hard to cite something that doesn't exist in the rules. This game seems fairly straightforward in the worker-placement mechanic, so I too never thought of your issue. Basically, if there is no worker on the space, you don't get the benefit, regardless of the space. I mean, does the first player get everything that has no worker sitting on it? I'm not sure why this is even an issue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Alright, you got me. In rereading the rules, I see what you're saying. The rules cite “same value”, and 0 by all players could be considered same value.

This is of course a very hypothetical situation. I've never seen the box go empty, and as the last (placing) player could pick up the ship on the cheap by playing his last guy there, it should never go empty.

So I'll step aside and let you work this hypothetical out for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
joebelanger wrote:
drabel wrote:

Citation needed.

Hard to cite something that doesn't exist in the rules. This game seems fairly straightforward in the worker-placement mechanic, so I too never thought of your issue. Basically, if there is no worker on the space, you don't get the benefit, regardless of the space. I mean, does the first player get everything that has no worker sitting on it? I'm not sure why this is even an issue...

So (by the rules), the ship should remain there, be refreshed with another ship at the end of the turn and two ships should be up for grabs next turn? I'm not sure why this isn't even an issue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
1 Ship
4 Goods
5 Buildings

Each turn reguardless of what was left behind last turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until Glen posts here I would assume that no one gets the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
cayluster wrote:
joebelanger wrote:
drabel wrote:

Citation needed.

So (by the rules), the ship should remain there, be refreshed with another ship at the end of the turn and two ships should be up for grabs next turn? I'm not sure why this isn't even an issue...

You get bonus points for tenacious rules lawyering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
While the technical reading of the rules would be to give it to the player in first turn order, it seems much more logical to not award it to anyone. (consistent with other items that are awarded only if someone shows up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budley wrote:
While the technical reading of the rules would be to give it to the player in first turn order, it seems much more logical to not award it to anyone. (consistent with other items that are awarded only if someone shows up).

Common sense prevails. Well done Glenn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Shaw
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drabel wrote:

We had this happen in a game with 5 players, all of whom had played before. Sometimes there's just other stuff to use your guys for. We played it the common sense way - no one gets it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RITBeast wrote:
drabel wrote:

We had this happen in a game with 5 players, all of whom had played before. Sometimes there's just other stuff to use your guys for. We played it the common sense way - no one gets it.

Never let common sense get in the way of rules lawyering.

Seriously though, I understand the OP's point. However, I think using Glenn's approach is sound (I know he designed the game, but his approach can be used for almost any game). Looking at the other spots, when they are not selected, the resource (trade good, building) is not awarded, nor is the available quantity doubled the next turn.

Having it spelled out in the rules is best, of course, but in this case I think the rest of the game design provides an implicit answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
cayluster wrote:
joebelanger wrote:
drabel wrote:

Citation needed.

Just as with trade goods, if it isn't claimed, it remains on the board, and is not refreshed with a new item.

The reason I think it isn't an issue is because it is all about getting something for nothing, or somehow having the game reward you for not taking the action (i.e. next turn someone gets 2 for the price of 1). When it seems to contradict the spirit of the game, why do it? I don't think you should ever really be rewarded for poor play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
Just as with trade goods, if it isn't claimed, it remains on the board, and is not refreshed with a new item.

Don't mean to be nit-picky but, according to the rules, unclaimed trade goods are not left on the board but mixed back into the reserve pile with the rest of the goods. Then 4 random ones are chosen for the next round...but I think the point you were making is that there are never going to be more than 4 trade goods available each round no matter how many are unclaimed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:

Just as with trade goods,

You mean Capital Buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We made the "common sense" ruling mid-game yesterday.

Thanks for chiming in though after the official ruling. Ballsy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drabel wrote:
1 Ship
4 Goods
5 Buildings

Each turn reguardless of what was left behind last turn

I thought you removed goods that weren't taken last turn, returned them to the supply and drew four new ones each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap, how did I miss Mitch's post?! Very informative and completely lacking snootery. Good on'ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
cayluster wrote:

Just as with trade goods,

You mean Capital Buildings.

Right... my point was, there are never multiples of anything stacking up on the board, waiting to be snagged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
We made the "common sense" ruling mid-game yesterday.

Thanks for chiming in though after the official ruling. Ballsy.

Sorry if I came off as snooty - I wasn't "chiming in" after the official ruling, I was responding to your previous post, as to why (in my view) the question wasn't really worth needing the designer's call on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I know. I was talking about the Johnny-Come-Lately-"Yeah, That's What I Would Have Said"ers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.