Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Richter
Germany
Siegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 10 different goals you can achieve during the game to gain 3 or 5 Victory Points. Not all of the "First" Goals are used in one game, you draw some and the rest are discarded.

The "First" Goals reward 3 Victory Points to the player/s who achieve it first. If two or more players complete it at the same time, all of them gain 3 VP. These VPs are special tokens (golden) and are taken from a different VP Pool and do not diminish the VP Pool which ends the game.

First Player to have 5 VP
Goal will be checked in Phase IV

First Player to have all 4 different worlds
Goal will be checked in Phase III

First Player to have 3 ALIEN cards
Goal will be checked in Phase II/III

First Player to discard a card EOT
Goal will be checked EOT

First Player to have a power for each phase

First Player to have a 6 development
Goal will be checked in Phase II

The "Most" Goals reward 5 Victory Points to the player with the majority of something. These goals are only rewarded to the leader and they can change the owner during the game, if somebody beats the leader.

Majority in Military Power
Must have at least 6+

Majority in Blue and or Brown Worlds (Windfall or Production)
Must have at least 3+

Majority in Developments
Must have at least 4+
Goal will be checked in Phase II

Majority in Production Worlds
Must have at least 4+

Edit:
Added pics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to these; adds more race to Race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if 2 people reach a 'MOST' Goal simultaneously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the "Most" goals, it might also be worth noting - at game end, if you are tied with the leader of a particular goal in trying to achieve that goal, you receive a 3-VP chip for your efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does "First Player to discard a card EOT" mean "first player to discard a card at the end of the turn"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

Nobody receives the tile. If the tie is never broken, then the players each receive 3 VPs at end.

quartex wrote:
Does "First Player to discard a card EOT" mean "first player to discard a card at the end of the turn"?

Yes, due to having more cards than your hand limit allows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else think they came up with these goal cards just to appease all the whiners who say there's no player interaction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They seem to be able to inject new strategies or long term plans into a game some may feel starts to feel the same after play 200.

They introduce new decisions.
Do I play the expensive development or try to overflow my hand to force a discard?
Do I try to maintain majority of the cheaper blue/brown worlds or go for the expense and card engines provided by green/yellow?
Do I consume x2 early to get 5 VP chips (and +3 from that), which may stall my card generation early on?

When we get the set, we'll probably experiment with them some -- but not with new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:

Nobody receives the tile. If the tie is never broken, then the players each receive 3 VPs at end.

So the turn order (i.e., the number in the corner of the homeworlds) doesn't play into this at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
emagius wrote:
So the turn order (i.e., the number in the corner of the homeworlds) doesn't play into this at all?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
If you played with all the goals, it wouldn't change the strategy that much. There are goals that work with just about every kind of strategy, so you'd just play your strategy as normal, and sometimes make tactical decisions to try to get a "first" goal.

However with a subset of the goals used, it should make for a different game depending on what subset. Some games will start generating VPs early, and with that momentum the rest of the game will probably be about Consuming too. Some games will be a rush for worlds. Some games will see several players lay down a 6-cost development, all trying to be first, so they will have some powerful powers and probably be locked in on their strategy.

Are the "most" goals also played with a subset?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dreamdealer wrote:
The "Most" Goals reward 5 Victory Points to the player with the majority of something.

So does it award to the player with the most, or only if that player has a majority?

If I have three of something, and the other two players each have two, I don't have the majority (I have only 3 of the 7 in play; that's not a majority). I do, however, have the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alien Toy Shop
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamdealer wrote:

The "Most" Goals reward 5 Victory Points to the player with the majority of something. These goals are only rewarded to the leader and they can change the owner during the game, if somebody beats the leader.

Do these get awarded EVERY TURN or only END OF GAME?

In case of former, if I have 3 blue worlds on turn 3, and game goes 4 more turns, I could potentially get 20 vp from this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poruchik wrote:
Dreamdealer wrote:

In case of former, if I have 3 blue worlds on turn 3, and game goes 4 more turns, I could potentially get 20 vp from this?

I take this to mean it's like longest Road in Settlers.

First to meet the goal.
If two players simultaneously meet the goal, it remains unclaimed until someone has a solid claim on it.
ONCE CLAIMED, someone must EXCEED me in order to claim it away from me.
Whomever possesses it at the end of the game keeps the points.

So checkpoint A: two players both have 6 VP chips (no one claims)
checkpoint B: player one gets 1 additional VP chip (claims 5 VP marker)
checkpoint C: player one and two are tied at 10 VP chips each (ownership does not change)
checkpoint D: player one has 15 VP chips and player two has 16 VP chips; player two steals the VP marker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
Are the "most" goals also played with a subset?

Yes

thatmarkguy wrote:
So does it award to the player with the most, or only if that player has a majority?

Most

Poruchik wrote:

The leader may change from turn to turn, but the points are only tallied once, at game end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alien Toy Shop
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Poruchik wrote:
Dreamdealer wrote:

First to meet the goal.
If two players simultaneously meet the goal, it remains unclaimed until someone has a solid claim on it.

checkpoint C: player one and two are tied at 10 VP chips each (ownership does not change)
checkpoint D: player one has 15 VP chips and player two has 16 VP chips; player two steals the VP marker

In that case, why not just do this at the end of the game? Why do we need a traveling 'leader' card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Poruchik wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Poruchik wrote:
Dreamdealer wrote:

First to meet the goal.

In that case, why not just do this at the end of the game? Why do we need a traveling 'leader' card?

I suppose because in the case of ties, it's important to know who had the most first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it as a plurality of something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does "Majority in Blue and or Brown Worlds (Windfall or Production)" mean?

Player A has 6 blue worlds and 1 brown world.

Player B has 4 blue worlds and 4 brown worlds.

Does Player A win becuase he has the most of either, or Player B becuase he has the most of both combined?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poruchik wrote:

Because then, for the sake of the people who couldn't comprehend the player interaction in the base game, it makes it very clear that there's player interaction.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Poruchik wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Poruchik wrote:
Dreamdealer wrote:

First to meet the goal.

I suppose because in the case of ties, it's important to know who had the most first.

As I understand it, if your tied with the "leader" at the end of the game, you also get the extra points. Since points only matter at the end of the game, and everyone who is tied for the most scores points at the end regardless of who holds the card, it seems meaningless to pass it around at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quartex wrote:
Player A has 6 blue worlds and 1 brown world.

Player B has 4 blue worlds and 4 brown worlds.

The award is given to whoever has the most total number of Blue + Brown. B in your example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poruchik wrote:

1) increases perceived player interaction
2) in the event of a tie condition at end of game, it records the time element of who got to that tied value first, without having to rely on faulty human memories.
3) it creates a psychological response of 'mine' and having it 'stolen'; see also (1)

What it precisely is not, and what my answer originally was targetting, was the concept that you get these points every time the evaluation occurs.

"MOST" is awarded 5 for being the firstest with the mostest, and people who tie the one with the most at game end get a consolation prize of 3.

Unlike similar mechanics in games like Settlers, I don't see how players will have all that much control over their ability to play into these bonus points. Longest Road or Largest Army are the results of decisiosn to play towards those victory conditions instead of other options since those items count towards the 10 point VP end game condition. The orange-VPs don't cause the game to end any faster, they only change the final value in the tally.

Most players don't tend to keep careful track of actual VP value during the game (that I've seen in practice at least). At most, I suspect that the tiles will sway what was previously a 'whichever' decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
As I understand it, if your tied with the "leader" at the end of the game, you also get the extra points.

As I understand it, that's only true if you're tied all the way through the game (or someone is, so the award is never claimed by a single player). Otherwise, and seemingly much more likely, only one player will have the "most of X" award at the end, as even if others pull up even with him, he was first, so you have to exceed him to claim it. Just like Longest Road in Settlers.

I'm getting confused by all this confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
'tis quite simple.

For the "First" goals: 3 VP to the player(s) to achieve the goal first.

For the "Most" goals: 3 VP to the player(s) who have the most at the end of the game (and meet the required minimum). If a player has the Leader tile, which travels Settlers-style*, then he receives 5 VP instead of 3 VP.

At the end of each phase in the game, it is checked to see if a "First" is achieved or if a Leader tile changes hands.

(*meaning you must clear the minimum to take the tile, and the tile is taken from you if your total is exceeded by other player(s), or drops below the minimum. Simultaneous acquisition of the Leader tile results in the tile going to the center until a clear leader emerges.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.