Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read over the rules for the first time and a question arose in my mind that I do not see addressed anywhere. Perhaps I am missing something....

One player per turn can Seek New Horizons and add a new area card (from either the draw deck or discard pile). If adding this new area would cause the total amount of active areas to exceed the maximum, one of them is removed from play (discarded).

The rules state that an Area cannot be removed from play if a party is in it, nor if it has a Preliminary Encounter yet to be overcome.

So what happens (for example) in a two player game where there are 4 Areas out. Player 1 is on Area 1 and Areas 2, 3 and 4 still have Preliminary encounters (creatures that were not beaten). Now Player 2 seeks new horizons and turns over a new area (let's say he beats this Preliminary encounter). Now two areas have players on them and three have Preliminary Encounters on them. Which can be discarded?

This question would also arise if only one area had no players or Preliminary encounters on it and a player wants to play an advantage card to stop it being discarded.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Lopes
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding of the rules, when you seek new horizons and all the areas are occupied or blocked from being discarded you just discard the new drawned area, before you place any encounters on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stratos Gerakakis
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you don't EVEN get the opportunity to seek new horizons if there is no Area available for discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratosgear wrote:
I think you don't EVEN get the opportunity to seek new horizons if there is no Area available for discard.

Stratos is correct here. If none of the Areas are able to be discarded, you CANNOT do the "Seek New Horizons" option at all this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
db-one wrote:
Stratos is correct here. If none of the Areas are able to be discarded, you CANNOT do the "Seek New Horizons" option at all this turn.

I don't know if you're referring to an older version of the rules, but the manual specifically addresses this situation.

Anima Instruction Manual wrote:
(Under Seek new horizons, p.9)
If it is impossible to select an Area without violating one of the above conditions, the new Area is added without any other Areas discarded. This is the only exception to the rules governing the maximum Area limit.

But like so much in these rules this just leaves an unusual situation completely unaddressed. You only check for too many Areas when you do a Seek New Horizons action; and if over, you only remove one area. So if you do it carefully, it seems you can over-stuff the board with Areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup all of my rules statements are based on the original rulebook, which does not have any of the new stuff FFG added to clear up many of the ambiguities in the rules (including the new sentence you quoted from page 9).

Unfortunately we've now gravitated away from this game due to various reasons and I doubt it will ever make it back to the table, so I haven't bothered updating my first edition rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.