Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
$9.93, $12.99, $39.99
Saw those three while shopping for games this week. Does anyone know the differences between them? Different rules? Fewer components? What would account for the price jumps?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Stanley
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rummikub is the original (if you believe that it does not derive from Mahjong)

Travel Rummikub is a smaller travel version of the game with tiles the size of small postage stamps often in a self contained travel container (depending on publisher)

Rummy-O I suspect is a cheap clone of the game .. if so this will either be nearly identical or it will be one of those clones with A, J, Q, & K and use playing card suits rather than colours.

PRICE
The cheapest I would expect to be the Travel version as there is far less plastic (typically £9, 8EU) followed by the clones, then the normal rummikub and finally the rummikub special editions (e.g. 60th Anniversary edition and Rummikub Club)

VERSIONS
There are also many other packaged rummikub options particularly in Germany.

As Rummikub has been around for 60 years with about a dozen licenced publishers and many others from Eastern Europe & China you will find many versions (old & new) available on EBay

My best recommendation is look at the extensive BGG Gallery to see which one you like (many are described with publisher and type) and then start looking.

Rummikub & Travel rummikub seem to be available everywhere. The clones don't seem to appear on ebay much

Rummikub Club
One particular version is difficult to get and that's the Rummikub Club by Jumbo which is only available in Germany. This is a nice set with thick tiles that stand up by themselves

The best way to get this if you don't speak german is to look at my post in the General Forum called "Where can I order Rumikub Club ... Solved ... Import from EBay.de "

Rummikub Word
Please note that there is also a Rummikub Word game as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Stanley
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blundered across Rummy-O when I followed a link

From this it appears to be a clone as the tiles seem very close to the regular Rummikub sets

If you buy this one you should check that it has the right number of tiles

106 Tiles:
o 26 Black Tiles (2 x 1-13)
o 26 Red Tiles (2 x 1-13)
o 26 Blue Tiles (2 x 1-13)
o 26 Orange Tiles (2 x 1-13)
o 2 Joker Tiles

The Rules are likely to follow the main thrust of Rummikub but you can always download the official RK rules from Rummikub.com and play with those so you will be playing the same rules as anyone else (laying aside house rules, variants and publisher changes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for the informative replies! I think I might pick up that Rummy-O set next time I see it, then. From what I can make out in that picture you found, it seems to have all 106 tiles as well as some decent trays. Furthermore, the colors look like they'll be easy to differentiate - something important to me and something I saw being discussed in another thread here.

As you say, it's a clone, and that explains why it seemed to me to be unusually cheap (the prices I listed corresponded to the games in my subject title).

Star Poker looks like the nicest of the playing-card tile sets, but I'd need to get two sets to have enough. No matter.

Thanks again for your reply :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
awl tell
msg tools
I have the "Original" Rummikub in a cardboard box and the "Collector's" Rummy-O in a metal tin. In addition to the nice metal tin, the Collector's Rummy-O has somewhat better quality components.

Both have 106 plastic tiles of similar size and tile racks, but the Rummy-O tiles are smoother with heavier plastic with rounded edges. The tile racks are 3 tiered in Rummy-O but only 2 tiered in Rummikub.

The rules are not the same. Rummikub has "The Sabra Way" rules which involve manipulation of sets that are exposed on the table. The Rummy-O rules do not have the manipulation of sets and have optional special hands similar to mah jong.

I much prefer the Rummikub rules so I made a copy of them and stuck it in the Rummy-O set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for the reply. It's been a while since I played a game with the Rummy-O set I bought but I recall we didn't enjoy it. I think it may be a good idea to download the Rummikub rules and give that a shot. I'll keep that in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.