Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
flag msg tools
Well, this is just silly.
My fiancee hates games. So I was excited this summer when Trivial Pursuit - SNL DVD Edition was released. She loves anything SNL, so I was more than willing to drop the cash.

The game comes with the standard fare: cards, dice, question cards, board, etc. The pieces are slightly interesting character miniatures from the show - although I think the choices of which characters to use are a bit arbitrary. They chose:
* John Belushi as The Samurai
* Will Ferrell as The Cheerleader
* Molly Shannon as Mary Catherine Gallagher
* Dan Aykroyd as Beldar Conehead
* Tim Meadows as The Ladies Man
* Chris Farley as Matt Foley: Motivational Speaker
* Chris Kattan as Mango
* Chevy Chase as The Landshark
I can understand The Landshark and The Samurai, but c'mon... Mango? The Ladies Man? Not the same staying power, in my book.

But that's neither here nor there.

The pieces are fairly well made, save for The Samurai, whose sword is so long and flimsy that it needs a protective plastic cradle.

Well, it's Trivial Pursuit. You know the game. The only real difference is the addition of the DVD. It comes into play when you're trying to acquire a new pie piece. The DVD is playing constantly (a problem I'll expound on later), waiting for you to roll that lucky number that'll get you onto one of those magical pie spaces. Once you do, you choose the category related to the color, and press play. Many of the questions involve audio, fewer involve video clips, and most are jumbled pictures or character descriptions.

The game ends when a player has gotten all six colors of pie pieces and gets to the middle of the board. He or she is then treated to a "For The Win" question from the disc. If they get it right, they win. If not, they continue on until they do. Or someone else does. Just like regular Trivial Pursuit.

* This version breathes a little life into a tired franchise.
* It speaks to my generation quite well, and many friends are excited to try out the SNL version of a game they used to play.
* My fiancee will play it whenever I ask.

* The game drrrraaaaggs on when you're not getting the rolls you need. After about twenty minutes of it, you're ready to call it a draw -- which we've ended up doing several times.
* The questions are either ridiculously easy or RIDICULOUSLY DIFFICULT. Some of them just make you roll your eyes.
* The music on the DVD is infuriating. It runs constantly while you're between pie spaces, and you have to become pretty proficient with the mute button to remain sane.
* Replayability, while always a problem with trivia games, is especially an issue here. The DVD is set up to allow for 16 games guaranteed to be individual, but that can run out. (after around 16 games or so.)

All in all, it's what I expected it to be, if a little more difficult. I hate trivia games, but it's nice to have a theme I know and love... if nothing else, I get to learn a little about a show I like. 6 out of 10.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.