Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game for 10-year-old girl who loves San Juan, Ticket to Ride, and Stone Age. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
She's a wonderful reader, so don't worry about that. She also really smart, but doesn't have an interest in playing LONG or complex-looking games such as Agricola. Thanks!

I was thinking that perhaps she might enjoy Race for the Galaxy, as it is similar to San Juan. Or, because she loves telling stories, maybe I could get her Once Upon a Time.

Any ideas will be appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players?

Bohnanza has always gone over well with kids. I think both the humor of the cards and the high level of interaction seems to go over well.

Some users complain that it is hard for people to learn to not rearrange their hands. I have never had this problem with younger players. In any case, when you are teaching the first game have everyone play with their hands open and from there you will be fine.

EDIT: I agree with William. I should have made it more clear why I was asking how many players. Bohnanza needs three or maybe four before it's any fun.

Other ideas:
Hey, That's My Fish! was actually taught to me by a 10 year old girl (and her father) at BGG con.

Carcassonne always seems to go over well.

Dream Factory would be cool with 3+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once Upon a Time is fun, but not a real competitive game, more of a fun group activity.

Do you usually play 2 player games with her, or are there often more than two people playing?

Edit: I agree with Richard, Bohnanza is a great suggestion, *IF* there are usually more than 2 people there. The 2 player Bohnanza game is very different than the multiplayer version, and in my opinion not very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some possibilities:

Through the Desert is somewhat complex, but plays pretty quickly and has an appealing theme (even if it is an abstract). Read a couple reviews to determine if this is too intense. I would say it's not (you could always remove one scoring element if necessary), and is simply a great game. This also scales very well for anywhere from 2-5.

Fjords is quick, tactical, and a lot of fun. Fjords has some of the same principles as Through the Desert, but is not as complex. Two players only, but very good.

Blokus is colorful, easy to learn, quick to play, and also very tactical. It's a great entry-level game, so it's worth a look. Best for 2 or 4 in my opinion.

Carcassonne is a solid choice as well -- fun, charming visuals, and room to play nicely or very competitively. I like Carcassonne best with only the River and Inns & Cathedrals, and you're totally capable of starting off with only the base set. Good for 2-4. With 5-6, it can drag a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 or more players:
Citadels, Boomtown, Witch's Brew

2 player only:
Mr. Jack, Perry Rhodan, Roma

supposed to work well with 2 as well as more (but I've only played with more):
Thebes and Pandemic

All are games my 10 year-old daughter really enjoys.

Race for the Galaxy wasn't a big hit with her the one time we played. And she did like San Juan, though we've only played a couple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is only about an hour two-player.

Race for the Galaxy might be a good choice if she doesn't mind the sci-fi theme.

The (almost) ten-year old I wrote about above really likes Blokus so it or Blokus Duo could be good choices too.

Edit: Doh, missed the first mention of Blokus! I agree Carcassonne would be an excellent choice too. Maybe even something like The Hanging Gardens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI, this girl is my little sister.

You're right, amount of players would be useful to know!

For San Juan, it's usually just the two of us. But for the other games, it's often 3-4, maybe even 5 if our dad feels like playing.

We already have Carcassonne, but she doesn't enjoy that one much for some reason. And, our uncle who is a more avid boardgamer, already has Bohnanza, so I don't want to buy a game I can just go over to his house to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
Game Artisans of Canada Member
badge
My Best Bud Parker 2004-2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto
Hive
Mr. Jack
If Wishes Were Fishes!
Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since she is the same age as Daughter the Elder who also plays and requests all three of the games you mentioned I will suggest that you look at the latter entries of Games that Daughter the Elder will trade bedtime books to play

Which reminds me I need to update that list to include some of the games that you mentioned meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
If she finds San Juan pretty simple at this point, Race for the Galaxy is probably a good call. If she's still making obvious (to you) tactical errors, it might be a little overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give Zooloretto a try. It is fun, fast paced, and easy to learn and play.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gvchief wrote:
I would give Zooloretto a try. It is fun, fast paced, and easy to learn and play.

Mike

She enjoys Zooloretto alright, but not enough to buy it. Maybe Coloretto or Aquaretto though. Would those be good choices for her maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
If she finds San Juan pretty simple at this point, Race for the Galaxy is probably a good call. If she's still making obvious (to you) tactical errors, it might be a little overwhelming.

Okay, thanks! Yeah, I'm hoping to get enough people to say that Race for the Galaxy is a good game for her so I can go buy it. I'm on a tight budget for things that are for my benefit only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
gvchief wrote:

Mike

She enjoys Zooloretto alright, but not enough to buy it. Maybe Coloretto or Aquaretto though. Would those be good choices for her maybe?

Well Coloretto is significantly simpler. No tile laying, just creating "trucks" of 3 cards and taking them. Aquaretto is pretty similar to Zooloretto. If she's lukewarm about Zooloretto, I'd imagine she'd feel similarly about Aquaretto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cher
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just asked my son what his top five were, and he said, in order: Stone Age, Ticket to Ride, Pirate's Cove, Risk 2210 A.D., and Stratego.

After that, he chose Catan, Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, and San Juan.

Overall, I think the members of our family, aged 8-65, like Settlers the best, and Stone Age second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would be careful with Race to the Galaxy. Pretty big jump in complexity due to the phasing and all the icons are the cards. Not impossible to master just a bit overwhelming at first.

You could go to Puerto Rico if she likes the role selection mechanism.

I would echo Thebes. Excellent game with good theme. Ditto Cleopatra and the Society of Architects.

What about Blue Moon? Good, fast paced card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these have already been suggested, but my niece (who's a little bit older than your sister but doesn't have as much gaming experience) enjoys:

Alhambra
Rummikub
10 Days in Africa
Blokus
Through the Desert
Diamant
O Zoo le Mio
Balloon Cup
Ubongo

Since she likes more complex games, you could also try:

China
Hansa
Pandemic
Ingenious
Elfenland
Kingsburg
Qwirkle
Mesopotamia
Yspahan

One thing that would help with recommendations would be if you entered your collection into BGG and rated the games you've already tried -- that way we'd have a better idea of what has worked and what hasn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarmom wrote:
Some of these have already been suggested, but my niece (who's a little bit older than your sister but doesn't have as much gaming experience) enjoys:

Alhambra
Rummikub
10 Days in Africa
Blokus
Through the Desert
Diamant
O Zoo le Mio
Balloon Cup
Ubongo

Since she likes more complex games, you could also try:

China
Hansa
Pandemic
Ingenious
Elfenland
Kingsburg
Qwirkle
Mesopotamia
Yspahan

One thing that would help with recommendations would be if you entered your collection into BGG and rated the games you've already tried -- that way we'd have a better idea of what has worked and what hasn't.

Okay, I'll do that. I'm new to BGG, and I don't reall know all of what there is capable to do. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes fits right in there. Great looking game. Great theme. Great mechanics. Easy to learn. Loads of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
One that might go over well: Dream Factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
My eleven-year-old daugher loves Jambo. She also plays Stone Age, and TtR. And she is a fan of Queen's Necklace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cher
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I found Thebes to get a bit tired after a few plays, and it was one of my most anticipated games last year. It wouldn't be one of my top choices for repeated plays for a ten-year-old.

I bought Elfenland after reading repeatedly over the past year that it was very popular with older kids. I can't technically recommend it since I haven't played it, but I feel that it's a pretty safe bet for a ten-year-old. I've opened it up and read through the rules, and I'm really looking forward to playing it with my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeeker
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a light filler game that is good for even younger people (than 10) is Animalia. This plays up to 5 I believe.

Mr. Jack is a great 2 player deduction game.

Because she liked Stone Age, I would also suggest Notre Dame. It scales very well for 2-5 players.

Taluva is also a really great underrated tile-laying game, plays 2 to 4 players.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cullen
United States
El Mirage
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think Race would be too much. Especially if the two of you are learning it together, that is what my son and I did. He is ten as well. I would also suggest Carcassone or Bohnanza, Ra and Citadels if you have more than two players. Oh and Settlers also. All of these games my 10 year old son and 8 (now 9) year old daughter have all played and enjoyed. If you try Race and she enjoys the space theme give Nexus Ops a shot. Really simple, quick and fun introduction to wargames and it has neat alien bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, as that was the first game I thought of when I read your post's Subject header. It is a wonderful game of resource management and has the best designed bits of any game out there. You will get your money's worth out of it, and then some.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.