Subject: Can Touch of Evil be played solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Zinzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks way cool and I'm thinking about picking it up, but I only buy games these days that have a solo option/playability. Hard to do the gaming group thing more than once every 1-3 months or so with 2 jobs, wife, 3-year old son and baby on the way. Arkham Horror is my main go to game for solo play when I have a chance, and sometimes a solo variant of Zombies!! I am going to (maybe) pick up some of the other expansions for Arkham to enhance gameplay (I just got Curse of the Dark Pharoah), but was looking to see if AToE would be a better purchase for variety's sake. If it fits the solitare criteria, that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jenkins
United States
Henderson
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cooperative play mode can definitely work well for a very playable solo variant. Check out this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/337050
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Zinzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! Thanks for the link. It seems that not only can it be played solo, but it can be done in under an hour with a single hero. That fits the bill for me.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (She/her)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A caveat: I am a giant co-op fan. That said, I own AToE and have played a four-player co-op game once, and found it to be lacking in the tenseness and driving "need to finish before we're all killed" sense that I enjoy in cooperative games. This is only one play, and it wasn't solo, so YMMV, but I think you might want to keep an eye out for other good solo games. Personally, I'd say you're best off getting one of the big-box Arkham expansions (Dunwich, especially) instead of AToE for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience playing solo with only one Hero is that it can be very hard and very tense (using the advanced rules). I have lost several times and in fact have been utterly timid about going to the four corners in the first few moves. The Villain seems to get stronger and stronger and you struggle to catch up. I'd say the two hero solo game may be more balanced. I have not played other number of co-op or solo games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.