Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
Australia
Kilsyth
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading on BGG is fantastic and a great addition of the site.

I have started using it to great effect and I would strongly encourage other users to trade. (sounds like a geeklist coming up)

I was wondering if it is possible to clean up the trade database and make some form of setting that removes games for trade from accounts that have not logged on for a specific amount of time.

The truth is accounts become inactive and as the site grows and gets older the amount of games for trade will increasingly contain data from inactive accounts. This definitely hinders the use of the system in my humble opinion.

So to alleviate the issue and keep the games marked as tradable relevant can we set a time limit on inactive accounts that then removes the setting of the game as tradable. This does not remove the game from that accounts collection just that the game is no longer available for trade. This kind of change could easily be communicated to the community and any new users when setting up their collection and marking games for trade.

To find the appropriate time limit you may need to do some number crunching. It may be 2 years or it may be 6 months of inactivity before your games are removed from the trading system. It depends on how many games would then get removed and how many users there are that do log back on after 6 months of inactivity.

thanks
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second that. When I started in BGG I did not realize that inactive accounts still had loads of games for trade, and so started to propose all sort of trades, never to see a response. Only then I noticed some of those people did not login for months...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree as well. It is a waste of time to check with these folks when you have a game for trade. If you don't log on within at least six months, you should receive a notice and after a year, you get disconnected.

Sounds like a special project that the Admins could assign to some of us eager traders who are willing to put in the time to monitor the thousands of people in the database. (hint, hint)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.