M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
HEY!! Who's the archvillain here?
badge
Power equals power!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/white-house-calls-aig-pa...

Unbelievable. The nerve to send the firm you currently work as CEO into a death spiral while filling your pockets, dragging your whole country with it. Then the government steps in, trying to salvage your rape&plunder. And then say "O we worked so hard, let's go to a retreat since there's money again" for an amount your avg. home owner can only dream of.

Do those guys have any consience? Moral compass?
Is there anyone here who can find a rationale for this?

The upside for me is: it shows even the current US government and I can agree, on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
See, THIS is a scandal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
What did they think they were going to do with the money? Hookers and Blow for all execs at AIG, the party continues! I mean shit, they didn't get to where they were at because of logical investing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone go to jail for this? I'm sure someone could make a case that AIG used taxpayer funds for a private party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2008/10/09/2008-10-09_aig_e...

The execs at these types of companies are so far disconnected from mainstreet (Dick Fuld another prime example) that they have no idea what impression they are making on mainstream average citizens who are going through their own crisis watching their life savings and home values erode daily all the while being asked to bailout overpaid millionaires.

AIG was about to launch an ad campaign "explaining" why they are frivolously spending taxpayers money... until a PR guy said it would be a "really bad idea".

You can just imagine what else AIG has spent some of that 122 billion dollars on that people don't even know about. You'd think since people own 80% of the company and most of their bailout money has been burned through that they would be more transparent and actually show people what they are getting for their money... but no real transparency in actually showing what the fed and bailed out companies are actually doing with the 1.6 trillion that's been provided so far is forthcoming.

Pretty sad but not surprising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/white-house-calls-aig-pa...

Unbelievable. The nerve to send the firm you currently work as CEO into a death spiral while filling your pockets, dragging your whole country with it. Then the government steps in, trying to salvage your rape&plunder. And then say "O we worked so hard, let's go to a retreat since there's money again" for an amount your avg. home owner can only dream of.

Do those guys have any consience? Moral compass?
Is there anyone here who can find a rationale for this?

The upside for me is: it shows even the current US government and I can agree, on occasion.

See also:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/346051

Yes, it is a crime, and these guys need to be on the business end of a pitchfork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I in the minority in viewing these guys as scapegoats in this financial mess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
Am I in the minority in viewing these guys as scapegoats in this financial mess?

There is nothing to prevent both scenarios from being true:
1. They are specifically guilty of outrageous behavior.
2. They are being used as scapegoats for the larger debacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
eknauer wrote:

The problem is when money and resources are used to go after the scapegoats as opposed to understanding what caused the problem. It leads to a huge waste of time, no lessons are learned, and history will repeat itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:

Nope.

I will say that it probably would have been appropriate to review planned expenditures for potential PR fall-out after the bailout, though.

It was bad PR to let the trip go forward, but I don't see it as related to the bailout in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

No, they're guilty of bad PR. Reward trips/executive retreats have been around forever and it's entirely likely that this one had been planned months prior to the event occurring. What was dumb was not reviewing planned expenditures after the bailout.

But this, to me, is largely politicians taking a pretty normal business activity and using it for political gain so they can look like they're actually defending their constituents. Except they should have been thinking about that as they passed legislation and reviewed regulation before the crisis hit and not after.

I think they look like pompous jackasses trying to appear competent when they go after stuff like this after the fact.

Quote:

In which case, one should look closely at those doing the scapegoating. They've probably got something that they don't want you to notice if they're trying to find a distraction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

No, they're guilty of bad PR. Reward trips/executive retreats have been around forever and it's entirely likely that this one had been planned months prior to the event occurring. What was dumb was not reviewing planned expenditures after the bailout.

But this, to me, is largely politicians taking a pretty normal business activity and using it for political gain so they can look like they're actually defending their constituents. Except they should have been thinking about that as they passed legislation and reviewed regulation before the crisis hit and not after.

I think they look like pompous jackasses trying to appear competent when they go after stuff like this after the fact.

Quote:

In which case, one should look closely at those doing the scapegoating. They've probably got something that they don't want you to notice if they're trying to find a distraction.

I'm a director at a small cap corporation. We do have off-site meetings. We don't go to "landmark resort spas of legendary proportions", have ice sculptures, golf outings, and banquets when our business is melting down and we have to get government loans to stay in business. Our business is doing well today, but several years ago, we were in dire straits and did get government help. I can tell you that back then, we held our meetings on-site, with no frills, and cancelled our summer picnics and Christmas parties, and of course, we also suffered significant layoffs. These AIG guys are guilty of, at the very least, incredibly poor judgement and seemingly astronomical arrogance in proceeding with this retreat in light of present circumstances. The lack of a sense of accountability is overwhelming. Say what you want about the bigger picture, and I am inclined to agree with your thoughts on the larger issues(especially as concerns the politicans), but there's no explaining or defending the actions of AIG in this retreat matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.