Subject: worker resolution procedure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Di Vito
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When it is time to resolve everyone's worker placements, do you resolve all the workers for the first player, then all the workers for the second, etc. Or do you do one worker, move to the left, etc.

I've always played the latter and it seems to work fine, but I heard a podcast where someone described it as the former, so I just wanted to make sure I was playing it as intended!

Thansk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not playing the standard way.
Each player in turn plays out all of his/her workers.

Your method works, I am sure, but it is very different in practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely non-standard. It would have a big impact on the civ cards that payout goods for die rolls to each player. If I get an additional good, tool, bump on the food track, or whatever I might change the order of resolution once it gets to my turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest change is placing multiple workers on a resource space.

Imagine a case where you put three workers on the gold space.

Under the rules as written you roll all your dice together. Say you roll 3,4,5 for a total of 12. You take 2 gold.

Under your variant, roll for a single worker, get a 4 and have to use a tool to get any gold. Then your turn comes around again and you roll again, likely needing a tool to get any gold.

Resolving a single worker at a time is definetly not how it's done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you want to play this way, get Pillars of the Earth. That game resolves area by area one player at a time instead of one player all at once.

I like this method in Stone Age because I feel I have more control and less rote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I'm confused. Don't you take turns placing one or more workers in a single area of the board, continuing until all workers have been placed? At least that's what the rules say.

Just checking as your statement makes it seem that you place all your workers in one shot, in turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you own this game, it seems kind of strange to ask this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Quote:

I'm confused. Don't you take turns placing one or more workers in a single area of the board, continuing until all workers have been placed? At least that's what the rules say.

Just checking as your statement makes it seem that you place all your workers in one shot, in turn.

The OP is commenting on resolving workers not placing them. The rules state that you rotate placing "clumps" of workers until all workers have been placed. Once complete the "resolution" phase begins and, beginning with the starting player, players resolve (take the actions awarded for their worker placement) all of their workers in whatever order they desire.

The OP is suggesting that players could play by resolving a single clump followed by the next player and on around the table until all players have resolved their workers. It's not my understanding that the OP was indicating that single workers within a clump (say in the gold area) be resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Di Vito
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
Quote:

The OP is commenting on resolving workers not placing them. The rules state that you rotate placing "clumps" of workers until all workers have been placed. Once complete the "resolution" phase begins and, beginning with the starting player, players resolve (take the actions awarded for their worker placement) all of their workers in whatever order they desire.

The OP is suggesting that players could play by resolving a single clump followed by the next player and on around the table until all players have resolved their workers. It's not my understanding that the OP was indicating that single workers within a clump (say in the gold area) be resolved.

Exactly right. We can all agree you take turns putting clumps (good word!) down. Then, you obviously resolve by area. My question was weather one player completed all his areas first or you took turns resolving area by area just like you did in the placement phase. Anyway, from your reactions, its the former. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.