If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the blue, my wife gives me the go-ahead to open a game store.

1.) Should I?
2.) What kind of capital am I looking at to start a game store?
3.) Should I?
4.) Is owning a game store really where all the ladies are?
5.) Should I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not DW, but I play him as my alt account. Here's my stab at it.

1.) No.
2.) What? No!
3.) No!!
4.) Hahahahahhaha. Hahhahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahah! Yes.
5.) For God's sake, man! NO!!!

Hope that helps.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you independently wealthy?
If the answer is yes, what better way to blow all your dough?
I'm betting the wife would put the kibosh on hookers and heroin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

She has in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

She has in the past.

Do I detect a ray of hope for the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

It doesn't count if you got her drunk first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are easier ways to make money. Especially when you can save so much money buying games online. If you do take the plunge though, good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
Only almost everybody knows this, but BGG has a feature called "geekmail", which allows you to send a private message to someone else.

Seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
Only almost everybody knows this, but BGG has a feature called "geekmail", which allows you to send a private message to someone else.

That's great news.

Hey Jim! We don't need to communicate through forum postings anymore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:

But isn't it more interesting to communicate in an open forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should have been titled "I've got a serious question: an open letter to DW"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I Now?
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
New idea: Start a hookers and heroin store. Then if your wife complains, tell her it's better if you get them at wholesale price.

ixnay66 wrote:
There are easier ways to make money. Especially when you can save so much money buying [snip] online. If you do take the plunge though, good luck!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
This should have been titled "I've got a serious question: an open letter to DW"

If this were pedantic's anonymous, but it's not. We're all lazy chit-chatters here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Peebles
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not DW, either, but here's my answers to your questions.

Quote:
1.) Should I?

Do you want to?

Quote:

Roughly the same amount of capital as any other retail store. You'll need premesis, all kinds of licences for doing business, staff (yourself or someone else), furnishings, office equipment, etc, etc, etc. All these things will be the same as (or at least similar to) what you'd need for any retail store. Then, of course, you'll need to stock your new store. And choose what not stock. Your mileage will vary.

Quote:
3.) Should I?

If you really want to.

Quote:

I think to answer this, I need another quote:

Quote:
4.) Hahahahahhaha. Hahhahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahah! Yes.

Quote:
5.) Should I?

If you have the ambition to run a store, the capital to start it up, and the market to keep it going, yes. If you do, there will be times you'll wish you hadn't, but there will be many more times you're glad you did.

If you're really serious about it, check into joining GAMA, the Game Manufacturer's Association and try to get to their big trade show in April. I was fortunate enough to go last year, and there are a lot of people there who own game stores and can help you with advice on what to do and what not to do. I'm not in your situation, as I only work at someone else's FLGS, but even so, I found it quite helpful and full of information. And the dealer's rooms showcasing piles of new games were not bad, either. :) Too bad some of the ones I'm waiting for still haven't come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

Hey Joel, I think that is awesome. Both your love of games, and the love of your wife. Just her having said that makes you the richer man.

There are lots of good game stores in Austin, but having one near where you are (Hutto, I take it from your profile), would be a worthy road trip for this Austinite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Cole
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
beckerdo wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

Hey Joel, I think that is awesome. Both your love of games, and the love of your wife. Just her having said that makes you the richer man.

There are lots of good game stores in Austin, but having one near where you are (Hutto, I take it from your profile), would be a worthy road trip for this Austinite.

Don't forget to support the Hutto Hippos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beckerdo wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

I think Hutto(Crystal Meth capital of Texas) might be more interested in the Hookers and Blow store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
New idea: Start a hookers and heroin store. Then if your wife complains, tell her it's better if you get them at wholesale price.

Financially, you will be farther ahead if you open up a hookers and heroin store, and sell games on the side. The drugs and whores should provide a good enough base income to allow you to indulge yourself in your whim of owning a game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:

Financially, you will be farther ahead if you open up a hookers and heroin store, and sell games on the side. The drugs and whores should provide a good enough base income to allow you to indulge yourself in your whim of owning a game store.

You make a convincing argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Joe! I wish you the best of luck if you decide to go for it.

Some things you should know:

1. The owner of the best gaming store in Austin did NOT quit his day job.

2. The best gaming store in Austin is diversified: board games, miniatures games, traditional/conventional games, puzzles, Cards/Chess/Go, and gaming supplies. The second best game store in Austin is also diversified: GW miniatures (etc.), collectible cards and miniatures games, roleplaying games, manga and anime, and board games. SUMMARY: DIVERSIFY!

3. A surprising number of people like puzzles.

4. While board gaming is a popular pastime at the store, it is a small amount of the store's total volume of sales.

5. Location, location, location.

6. Location means good parking, too.

7. A great gaming space, a clean bathroom, and maybe snacks/beverages help to build a returning customer base. But that's work, too.

8. Give good, returning customers a discount!

9. You'll need help. Hire knowledgeable and friendly staff.

10. Good luck finding time to play games

Let us know the minute you open!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who the hell moved this to Chit Chat?! I think you're due for an admin badge re-eval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triassic Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:

But isn't it more interesting to communicate in an open forum?

"...humongous squall of pointless gibberish..."

No, seriously dude, what the heck is your point?

Hilarity, I'm guessing. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, Joey actually wants advice on opening a store, DW never even shows up, but a flame war does break out here in Chit Chat. This is weirder than 200 Yahoo Boots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

1.) Should I?

Well Joe, unlike me, you seem to be the kind of weak-spined quasi-man who actually thinks you need your wife's approval to do something that is not only financially risky and also qualifies as stupid. Almost every day I thank the stars that I did not ask your wife's approval before opening my game store. To begin with, she was probably about 7 then and I'm certain her father would have called the cops if I'd knocked on the door and asked, "May I please speak to the future Mrs. Belanger? I have an important question for her regarding not only all the money I have in the world, but also about the future of gaming and my own emotional and mental health."

Quote:

Since you live in Texas I'd start with Austin. I used Boise myself, but then each pre-owner of the next fabulously successful game store will have their own capital preference.

Quote:
3.) Should I?

Didn't you already get your wife's approval for this?

Quote:

No. All the ladies are, in my experience, talking on the phone with their lawyers about divorcing all the men. Since your lady suggested you ruin your life and that of your children you might check her phone records and see if any lawyers have been called.

Quote:
5.) Should I?

A man's gotta do what a man's wife allows him to do. Right? Fair warning though... people like Simon Mueller are the norm in a game store. They say really dumb stuff and when you stare at them, as if they just said something dumb, then they feel compelled to explain... well, actually, to lecture you on why what they said wasn't dumb and how it is that you are really the dumb one.

Problem is... the Simon Muellers of the world are probably closer to right than game store owners are. Why is that you ask? Simple. You, as a game store owner, have basically traded your dignity and self-respect in order to risk your future in a business venture that basically chains you behind a counter... like a clerk... for the majority of your day. From behind that counter you'll gain no insight, have no epiphanies, learn nothing about the nature of man... instead you'll witness an unending stream of 9 year old card-collecting brats, 22 year old anti-social vampires, 39 year old physically repulsive humanoids who actually believe in Elf Sight and consider themselves immortal unless burned after having been slain. Did I mention the uppity, over-educated EuroSnoots who will descend upon you in their little BMW's and Prius's after spending the day pretending to write code or unravel a customers AS400 melt-down? They'll strut around the store, looking down their nose at the card-flopping CCG'ers and the sweating, Cheeto-stained 40K Goobers and, when they have finally determined that your store, and your very existence, is a total waste of oxygen, they'll saunter up the counter and in their most affected nasal drone they'll bark out, "Clerk! Oh clerk? You don't happen to have a first print of Indonesia do you? The one signed by every German mathematician who ever designed a game at an Essen party room where cocaine and French hookers were free and where the hosts burned three copies of Roads and Boats and used the ashes to paint nasty Russian sex-words on their foreheads... do you? No? I thought not."

And after a day of this demeaning behaviour on the part of people you formerly felt "close" to, you'll go home to your wife, who will quickly hang up the phone when you open the door, give you the stink-eye (meaning not only is your sex life truly over with... with her at least... but that the couch is your new home) and slap a pot of franks & beans down on the table as she glares pointedly at your ever-increasing belly.

This, you'll realize, is your life now. And a fine one it is Joe. Why? I'll tell you why... because everybody who is a gamer knows that owning a game store is the greatest. And who doesn't want to spend each and every day down at the store, raking in the cash and playing games?

Go forth Joe... do it my man! Don't be a coward... and don't ask your wife if she remembers a night, when she was 7, that her dad called the cops on some guy with a pony tail and a goatee who rode up on a '57 Harley and asked to speak to her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If DW isn't telling you to run away, then that seems like a green light to me. Be careful, though, the general public can wear you down. I worked in retail for several years in the woodworking industry, and my life was even threatened once. Eventually I was forced to give that guy a big discount. That experience made cubicle life seem pleasant.

DWTripp wrote:
Well Joe, unlike me, you seem to be the kind of weak-spined quasi-man who actually thinks you need your have a wife.
Fixed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.