Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Johnston
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought a copy of Silent War so I can geek out all by myself. I haven't played war games in years, except for a recent purchase of Duel in the Dark that I have played solo, but it was a little too random in that mode. I read dozens of GeekList recommendations and decided to dive in (pardon the pun).

I am just getting back into board games after many years and am very intrigued by the cyberboard and Vassal systems. The idea of not having to leave a map spread out for days pleases my wife as well. I bought the game, so I have the rules and scenarios. Here is the question:

How much should I use counters and how much should I play via laptop? If you punch out X and leave Y in the box to use online, that is what I need to hear. I want some recommendations of setups, including storage and layout. I assume that the half empty box is for organizing the many counters through various methods.

I would also appreciate any newbie "gotchas" to avoid. I just dropped $60 on this game and want to make sure I enjoy it. Be descriptive, because I haven't finished reading the rules.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I'd begin by puching out a single sub and trying out one or two "patrol" missions on the board.

You can use vassal for your "cup" draws if you like, leaving the TDCs and "ships" unpunched.

After you are comfortable with combat, personally I'd begin a campaign and punch out the subs as you need them.

Take down/set up actually is quite quick, as the only pieces on the board are the subs, and it would only take a good picture or a couple minutes of notes to write down where everything is (ie. Midway: swordfish, salmon, Pearl Harbour Broom: S-40, stingray).

But first, familiarise yourself with combat etc. When you get into full swing, you'll be manuevering 40 subs and playing through a whole month in an hour.

Happy Hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Johnston
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't get to dig in this weekend. I don't know what "cup draws" are, but I am sure I will learn!

I did stop by the my favorite game store and picked up Tac Air, Air Force, and Downtown. The AH titles were NIB!!! Yippee!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
For each stage of the war you'll be setting up 4 cups for the different surface ships you can encounter. So you'll need 4 cups for this. These counters take a beating and over the course of the campaign will get 'worn out'. This is probably what I'd use a computer for if I was going to use one.

You'll also be drawing your "TDC" markers from another cup. you could use the computer for this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Johnston
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what I was asking for. Thanks a bunch!!! I'd tip you if I had figured out how to earn some gold already. I'll post up a play when I get to it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Over
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the suggestion to use Vassal or Cyberboard for the tactical parts (ship chit draws, TDC draws, etc.) since they will take a beating and wear out. The map and sub chits can be used for operational movement and can be put away when necessary. And they don't compete for space on the computer screen as a result.

- Kurt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'll second the suggestion to use Vassal or Cyberboard for the tactical parts (ship chit draws, TDC draws, etc.) since they will take a beating and wear out.

Amen to that, my set is worn from a long campaign. To build up your tonage & ship count go for the el cheapo ships the 1-0 junks etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jepson
England
flag msg tools
Can't seem to download vassel....don't know why!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.