Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Played our first game today, enjoyable all the way, but a few things were left a bit unclear. Other stuff was more or less answered here on the site, but I was left wondering about the displacement of minions.

We had a situation where the crows appeared at the woods and an event where all the minions move two spaces towards the town hall. Basically, by moving two spaces, we had a situation where two crows ended up in the same space. The text in the Scarecrow's sheet says that the Crows don't displace minions, so I gathered that they just bunch up together.

So, when you have additional minions in one space, can you select who fights first? Do you resolve the crow stealing thing twice etc? I think even the rules state that there can be only one minion in a space, but I must be understanding the crow's bit about displacement somehow wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we played it, if a crow marker is meant to be placed in a space where there already is a crow marker, then you move the shadow track 1 space and do not place the second marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In regards to this situation it states in Page 17 of the manual that "Minion Counters are limited to 1 per space. If a Minion ever moves or appears in a space that already has a Minion, the existing Minion Counter will be displaced to the next adjacent space on the shortest route back to Town Hall....If a Minion is already at Town Hall and would be displaced, instead remove the Minion Counter (one of the two that should now be at town hall) from the board and move the Shadow Track 1 step closer to darkness.

Also, the Scarecrow reference sheet says "Limit 1 Crows Marker per space." So you would have to displace one of the two crows the shortest route to Town Hall.

So, the only time that you would move the Shadow Track was if there were 2 crow markers at Town Hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wells
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deputy Lunchbox wrote:
In regards to this situation it states in Page 17 of the manual that "Minion Counters are limited to 1 per space. If a Minion ever moves or appears in a space that already has a Minion, the existing Minion Counter will be displaced to the next adjacent space on the shortest route back to Town Hall....If a Minion is already at Town Hall and would be displaced, instead remove the Minion Counter (one of the two that should now be at town hall) from the board and move the Shadow Track 1 step closer to darkness.

Also, the Scarecrow reference sheet says "Limit 1 Crows Marker per space." So you would have to displace one of the two crows the shortest route to Town Hall.

So, the only time that you would move the Shadow Track was if there were 2 crow markers at Town Hall.

Not quite true, the crows are an exception to this, in the advanced rules I think it was, it says crows can appear on the same space as another minion. Although if I remember right, S Payne has it right, if a crow would ever land on the same square as another crow, the crows aren't displaced, the crows effectively merge together and the shadow track moves down 1 point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok, that sounds reasonable. I guess my main point was what exactly does the bit about "does not displace" in Murder of Crows mean or how it should be interpreted ie. does it refer to other minions or just the crows or both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Mosley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the advanced rules on page 23:

Round minions may coexist with square minions.
However, a round minion may not coexist with another round minion.
Round minions also do not displace other minions of either type.

Therefore, since a round minion cannot displace, nor coexist with another round minion, if two or more round minions would normally end up in the same space, one of them stays in that space and the excess would leave the board and the shadow track moves one step closer to darkness for each minion that could not be placed.

I think of it as the crows have completed whatever evil deed the scarecrow sent them to do, and then they fly off.

As for the last part of your question - The only time a Hero would encounter two minions in the same space is if one of them were square and the other round.
As far as I know, there is no official ruling on which you would deal with first, but in other issues concerning timing and ties addressed in the rule book, the current first player decides the order.

Personally, I like the idea of dealing with the round minion first, though, since most likely it will not kill the Hero, but instead it may relieve him/her of an item, ally, investigation or wound making the fight with the square minion a just little more interesting. If you end up in a space with two minions at the same time, you should have to deal with the worst case senario in my opinion devil

Either way, you would only have to deal with each minion counter one time during your turn. That is, of course, unless game events would cause you to face them a second time. Such as maybe fleeing a battle followed by March of Darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin, spot on! I somehow missed that bit in page 23 and it appears my issue is covered by that.

The rulebook could be a bit better laid out though. For some reason it took me ages to find out how you exactly randomly select a location and since the only thing that actually had locations on it was Lair cards, I figured I just pull them from there. Of course, only later I found out that I did it correctly after all. Index or just generally breaking the rules apart a bit under different headers would work wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhh, I missed page 23 also, d'oh. Sorry guys. Good work finding the answer though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.