B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Improved Logistics lets you play a second world in the SETTLE phase, and indicates that you may not use powers from the first world to help play the second.

When selecting SETTLE actions, does that mean that a player with Improved Logistics must place two worlds face down before the reveal, or can they place a second world after everyone has revealed their 'first' (thus creating a subphase and giving the player with Impoved Logistics information they didn't have during the queue phase.

I'm leaning towards playing two face down simultaneously and revealing/paying for them as a pair. What say players and/or the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Improved Logistic's power is invoked as part of a player paying for the first world and invoking other Settle powers. Thus, a card received from a Settle bonus or a Terraforming power could be placed as the second world using Improved Logistics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naoki Lau
Hong Kong
Tsuen Wan
New Territories
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it mean the following?

Settle Phase:
1. Every player secretly decides a world to settle (or no world to settle).
2. Every player reveals the world to be settled.
3. Every player pays the cost for settling.
4. Every player receives the settling/terraforming refund.
5. Every player with improved logistic secretly decides a second world to settle (or no second world to settle).
6. Every player with improved logistic reveals the world to be settled.
7. Every player with improved logistic pays the cost for the second settling as if the first world had not been played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naoki wrote:

Settle Phase:
5. Every player with improved logistic secretly decides a second world to settle (or no second world to settle).
7. Every player with improved logistic pays the cost for the second settling as if the first world had not been played.

That's what I grok'd from Tom's answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannu Pajula
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
another Improved Logistics question
How do New Military Tactics or Space Mercenaries work with Improved Logistics?

Quote:
may discard this card from tableau for +3 Military this phase
Quote:
may discard up yo 2 cards for +1 Military apiece this phase

Yesterday we played that these powers could be combined with Improved logistics, because both planets are settled/conquered in the same Settle phase. Did we play it correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Naoki wrote:

Settle Phase:

That's what I grok'd from Tom's answer.

If so, then you're not quite correct. Selecting the first world is done secretly and simulatneously, but paying for worlds and doing other actions during the Settle phase is not secret and simultaneous; it is done in player order (if players care enough to invoke the player order rules).

So, it actually goes:

3. Every player, in player order, finishes their Settle phase. This can include:
3a. Paying the cost for settling.
3b. Receiving the settling/terraforming refund.
3c. Deciding on a second world to settle (or no second world to settle) if one has Improved Logistics.
3d. Paying the cost for any second world settled. (Note that since new powers do not have effect on the turn they are played, any Settle powers on the first world are ignored.)
3e. Receiving the Terraforming Robots refund for any second world settled.

In other words, there is only one thing that is "secret and simultaneous", and that is the initial world selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jullevi wrote:
How do New Military Tactics or Space Mercenaries work with Improved Logistics?

Quote:
may discard this card from tableau for +3 Military this phase
Quote:
may discard up yo 2 cards for +1 Military apiece this phase

Yesterday we played that these powers could be combined with Improved logistics, because both planets are settled/conquered in the same Settle phase. Did we play it correctly?

If you discard NMT and two cards from hand with Space Mercenaries, then you will have +5 Military for the entire phase. That Military can apply both to the first world settled and to the second world settled. For example, if you had no other military besides the +1 Military on Space Mercenaries, then you would have 6 Military could settle New Sparta (2 defense) and Rebel Base (6 defense). However, you could not settle New Sparta (2 defense) and Rebel Homeworld (7 defense), because New Sparta's powers do not have effect on the phase in which it is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Satow
United States
California
flag msg tools
2 Questions

I am playing a game and I have Improved Logistics and Terraforming Robots and/or Terraforming Guild. If I do a settle, does that mean by settling 2 planets I get

1) With Improved Logistics only: 1 card is drawn.
2) With IL and Terraforming Robots: 3 cards are drawn.
3) With IL, TR, and Terraforming Guild: 5 cards are drawn.

Also, in a two player game with the double actions options, can I use the IL twice if I choose settle twice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsatow wrote:
2 Questions

I am playing a game and I have Improved Logistics and Terraforming Robots and/or Terraforming Guild. If I do a settle, does that mean by settling 2 planets I get

1) With Improved Logistics only: 1 card is drawn.
2) With IL and Terraforming Robots: 3 cards are drawn.
3) With IL, TR, and Terraforming Guild: 5 cards are drawn.

Also, in a two player game with the double actions options, can I use the IL twice if I choose settle twice?

Edit: Oops, I defer to Tom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
See my answer above. In case 2, you would get 2 cards after the first world's placement and payment; and one card after the second world's placement and payment. In case 3, this goes to 3 and 2 cards respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
See my answer above. In case 2, you would get 2 cards after the first world's placement and payment; and one card after the second world's placement and payment. In case 3, this goes to 3 and 2 cards respectively.

Was there an unconscious omission in that the card iconography and rules that leave this ambiguous? I would have thought some differentiation of the role power vs. the Terraforming powers would have been made to help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Victor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Tom,can space mercenaries and new military tactics be used in the second step of an improved logistics settle? [if you hadn't already used them in the first step] This has come up in the case of Keldon's AI - which didn't let you use them in the second step but I believe now does.The game genie still doesn't.It is not clear from the cards themselves why you wouldn't be able to use them in the second step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use space mercs/NMT in the IL step. You cannot use space mercs again after having partially used it, unless in defending against a takeover.

See Tom's post here for authority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
In general, you can invoke powers after your first settle *before* you invoke Improved Logistics to perform a second settle action. Depending on how "friendly" any particular computer implementation is, it may balk at letting you invoke them *after* you invoke Improved Logistics and before you perform your second settle action (as this is technically interrupting one power with another power, which is not generally allowed).

Similarly, you can not invoke a partially used power a *second* time in a phase to use it some more. Thus, if you use Space Mercenaries for 1+1 Military for your first Settle, you can't -- after receiving a Settle bonus card or one from a "terraforming" power -- use that card to "pump" Space Mercenaries a second time to become 1+2 Military.

(A specific exception was introduced in RvI that allows you to do this for takeover defense (only).)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.