United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb

There is an elementary school behind our house that has a lot of swifts that come home to roost too. Not quite in the numbers as shown in this video but still relatively cool to witness.

Makes me want to build a chimney for no other purpose other than watching them come in for a landing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it make me want to sing?

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
A sweep is as lucky
As lucky can be

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-oo!
Good luck will rub off when
I shake 'ands with you

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
That video is from Portland OR! I was there at Chapman Elementary with my daughter this year to watch them. It's amazing to see, they really cover the sky there are so many birds, then they all start funneling together into the chimney.

Matthew, when I saw your post about "behind our house..." I thought, "Hey, I thought he was somewhere in Oceania! If he's in Portland then I should give him a call!" Then I read the rest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you don't see in the video is the hawks. Every once in a while a hawk flies through the flock of swifts as they circle and grabs one (or tries to). The swifts all get mad and as a flock chase the hawk away, so the whole cloud of tens of thousands of them flies after the hawk, then a few minutes later all flies back. Neat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a different video where a falcon swept in a few times. Neat how the swarm takes on a life of its own and acts as it were an entity in and of itself. Sounds like the Michael Crichton book Prey...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.