Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I tried to steer us towards Citadels for our last game, but as soon as my university-oriented friends heard that this game simulated res life and had nookie, it was all over...

The Players: Me (Mark Evans), Sanjay M., Rachelle C., Vicki P., Mike H.

The Game:

Chez Geek is a quirky little card game where players basically attempt to reach a certain level of slack by working menial jobs and spending their free time and having people come visit their apartment.

It's not exactly what I'd call cerebral in the least, and more played for filler or the humor value. If you've lived in a university residence or apartment though, this game probably reflects at least one aspect of your life, if not more.

We played with all three expansions, which was an ungodly number of cards to try and shuffle and even then there were huge blocks of cards of one type, just because it was so hard to shuffle them.

It's hard to describe the flow of play of this game, but Vicki eventually won the game. Really the journey's more fun than the destination on this one (which makes it not as likely to come out all that often, since most games offer both).

The most fun of the evening though was when I played the Chinese Fire Drill card that requires everybody to pass their hand to the person on their left. This was even more funny when Sanjay played a Dumpster Diving card to fish the Chines Fire Drill out of the discard pile and then play it again.

Rating:

Everybody had a good laugh, which is what matters when you're in a friendly gaming atmosphere like this. I'd give the game a 9 for humor, but maybe a 6.5 tops for actual gameplay. Perhaps with better shuffling it'd go up, and admittedly this was all our first time trying to play so it was a bit shaky.

It just seemed slightly dragged out though, and ultimately it did end up being completely chaotic. Not that chaos is terrible, but a little control of one's destiny is nice at times.

Definitely my least favorite game of the night, though I got the impression everybody else thought it was more fun than I did (whether this is because of the humor or not, I'm not sure).

At that point we called it a day, since I had to work in the morning. A great evening though, and I introduced a boatload of games to some friends, so hopefully there'll be more of these lengthy session reports in the future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.