Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Need Some Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul B
msg tools
My wife and I have owned Settlers of Catan (and the Knights and Cities exp) now for a few years, and we have pretty much grown bored of the game. In the time that we have owned it, we played with several friends, introducing them to Catan, and most ended up buying the game for themselves.

Well, now Catan has just gotten old to us, and we want a new game. I looked at the game ratings, so obviously there are a lot of good choices, but I needed some advice from the gaming vets.

What would be a great game for my wife and I to get? We will mainly play 2 players, but we would also play the occasional game of 3+ players as well when family comes to visit. I'd like a game that is good for 3+ players but also fun for 2 players.

What game(s) would you suggest?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game geek. I tell you, there are so many great games, it is hard to recommend just a couple. Even in the 2-player category, there are so many to choose from. Some parameters to narrow things down:

- card-based or boardgame (or both)
- screw your opponent verses kinder, gentler
- type of theme (or lack thereof)
- length of play
- complexity
- cost

These are just a few considerations. I would recommend perusing the top 100 games listed here and see if anything jumps out at you. Read some reviews too. In general, the Kosmos 2-player line-up has some fine games. Enjoy!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

My first thoughts are that Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride would probably fit you well. They're both good with 2 (I personally think that Carcassonne is great with 2) and they both play 3 or 4 very well.

Do you have any additional parameters which you like? For example, confrontation (or not), deduction games, highly strategic games, social games, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies!

I think we both liked Catan so much because of the player interaction, so we would like a competitive game where you can be brutal to your opposition (confrontational). I think we'd also like a board game more than a card game.

Price isn't really an issue.

I don't know if Catan is considered a highly strategic game, but my wife doesn't like Risk, so games like Risk would be hard for her to like.

Also, since we don't have a lot of gaming experience, I don't know where Catan (and its expansions) sit on the complexity curve, but it wasn't too much to learn for us. A more complex game wouldn't be bad as long as we have fun learning it.

I hope this helps. I'll definitely check out the other games mentioned. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Conveniently, BGG has a complexity rating on each game page! It's called "Game Weight" here, and encompasses ideas of complexity of rules, difficulty of learning rules, length, and amount of thought required. Of course, this is a community average, but it does give you a good idea. For example, on the BGG page for Catan in the "Statistics" section, the average weight is 2.38, on a scale from 1 (light) to 5 (heavy). So, settlers is a bit above "medium light" on the BGG scale.

Carcassonne (which I recommended above) has a good screw-your-neighbor aspect, and is also rated "medium-light". The nice thing about Carcassonne is that you can really adjust how nasty you are depending on who you are playing with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne also has a couple of expansions that can keep the game interesting for a bit longer. (Well, it has a ton of expansions, but I'd recommend Inns & Cathedrals, and Hunters & Builders, when you're ready for 'em.)

Now when those start getting dull -- we have a whole world of stuff for you to choose from!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a similar gaming experience to Catan that is both confrontational and competitive:

Keythedral

For a very simple, quick, cute-looking game that nonetheless has a high screwage factor and is very strategic:

Hey, That's My Fish!

Or if you're feeling much more ambitious:

Railways of the World with the Railways of Europe expansion so that your 2 and 3 player games can be more competitive.

(Each of those games plays quite well with 2 or more players.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These all seem to play well with two or more players.

-Thurn and Taxis
-Samurai
-Vikings
-Arkadia
-Atlantic Star
-Blue Moon City
-Hansa
-Masons
-Qwirkle
-Stone Age
-Saint Petersburg
-Ingenious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wife and I like Attika, and you also might like Ticket to Ride. Both games have a race/connection element that involves blocking other players. I wouldn't call the player interaction "brutal", but I also wouldn't characterize Catan as "brutal".

When I first came to BGG, the mistake I made was going on ratings without playing or asking -- so it's great that you're already asking. I'd suggest finding a friendly local game store (FLGS) and try a few titles out that you see there.

If you can come back with some games or even mechanisms that you like specifically, the folks here can usually do a really good job of recommending something you might like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.