Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pax Romana» Forums » Sessions

Subject: From Complete Failure to Total Triumph - Scenario 2 Punic War (Turns II-IV) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Van Dam
Canada
Houston
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few months ago, I played a Scenario 2 game with mehrunes of BGG via Vassal played by email. I must say that playing Pax Romana by email works very well!

Carthage: Scurvodsky
Rome: mehrunes

Turn II: Early Years: Carthaginian Postering
Rome upgraded many of his towns to cities and Carthage strengthened Aleria in force hoping to keep Rome on his toes with his aggressive action. From Aleria it is just a short trip to Rome itself!

Rome strengthens Rome by bringing up troops from southern Italy. Meanwhile Carthage attempts to subdue Hispania but runs into serious opposition in Emerita and take heavy losses. Rome further strengthens his position in Italy and Carthage aquires galley technology which quickly becomes obsolete again due to the next turn arriving quickly!

Turn III: Middle Years: Roman Expansion
Rome builds up a serious military machine on both the army and naval fronts in Rome, while Carthage attempts to strengthen himself in Carthage and Hispania.

On his first activation, Rome invades Corsica and substantially reduces the Carthiginian army at Aleria. So much for capturing Rome for now! Rome also sends in a legion to Narbonensis and takes out the Greek garrison at Massilia. Carthage pulls back his fleet at Aleria to the city of Carthage and further strengthens its defences.

Rome attacks and destroys the Carthaginian army at Aleria. The Roman army moves on to Olbia on Sardinia and destroys the Carthaginian garrison there. From there it advances to Caralis and the Carthaginian light infantry there withdraw to Tharros. Carthage loses control of Sardinia. Rome moves a garrison from Pisae to Aleria and so gains control of Corsica.

The Carthaginian force in Hispania takes on the tribe at Corduba and defeats it. The army then moves on to Salamantica. Meanwhile one of the Roman galley squadrons mutinies. The Carthaginians continue to campaign in Hispania and nearly defeat the tribe at Brigantium. They rest in Bergidum counting their gold.

The Roman 2-4 leader in Sardinia embarks on a campaign to Sicily after picking up some Italian legions. He is compelled to attack the Mamertines and destroys them after suffering losses and the 2-4 leader dying in action. The two leaderless legions that remain arrive at Agrigentum at the gates of a defenseless Lilybaeum. The Carthaginian light infantry unit on Sardinia proves to be elusive as it succeeds in escaping from an entire Roman legion. Roman legions conquer Lilybaeum and it is sacked and plundered for two talents. The Romans rebuild Lilybaeum and then the Roman legion tries to eliminate the Carthaginian light infantry but it once again escapes its grasp with a deft dance of withdrawal and good luck. As my worthy opponent said, "That chasing over whole Sardinia is a story to be told" ... but the best story is yet to come!!

The Carthaginians attack Brigantium again and conquer the native tribes there. Carthage now controls Gallaecia. The main Carthaginian army marches to Corbuda in Baetica, leaving a light infantry in Bergidum to control the mines and the province of Gallaecia.

Turn IV: Late Years: Hannibal Saves the Day!

Rome looks like it is going to win since if it can be more GOP (and no, that doesn't stand for Grand Old Party ... ) than Carthage and retain its Civ. point lead, it will pass Carthage to win 5-4. It seems very difficult for Carthage to prevent this which means that the only rout to victory is capturing Rome.... Is that overly ambitious and insane??

Leaders drawn: Carthage: 1-5 to Carthage, 4-6 to Corduba; Rome: 3-6 to Rome, 2-4 to Placentia.

Upon seeing the leaders, the Carthiginian experiences a great surge of hope!! Perhaps I can win this after all; just one crazy journey straight to Rome ....

On his first activation, Rome's 3-6 leader with a substantial army invades Numidia and with that Carthage also loses control of its Home Territory.

Things are looking very grim for Carthage ... but Hannibal gives some hope.

Carthage gets the next activation. After two minor moves with garrisons in Hispania, Hannibal (the 4-6 leader) decides to go for broke straight for Rome!! Carthage's other option is to die slowly. This way he has a chance and can either succeed or go down in a blaze of glory!!

Hannibal has 8 MPs and starts in Corduba with 1 Heavy Infantry and 1 Light Infantry. He goes to Malacca and embarks onto ships and sets sail for Carthage to pick up more troops.

OK, so what is the situation exactly? This Carthaginian army needs to 4 continuity rolls (2 NTP, Roman controlled Hippo Regius and Lilybaeum) as well as a Deep Sea Transit point!! Craziness surely but fun!

Alas, the army has to stop at the NTP between Iol Caesarea and Hippo Regius ... but rolls a 2 to keep going!

Then the army needs another successful roll to continue through Hippo Regius; a 5 does it!!

Hannibal stops at Carthage to pick up the entire army at Carthage. Hannibal now has an army of 8 Heavy Infantry and 1 Light Infantry. He rolls a 7 to pass Lilybaeum barely ....!!

Now Hannibal enters the Deep Sea point and .... rolls a 2!!!

The galley squadron guarding Rome withdraws to Messana. Carthage does one amphibious assault and reduces the walls of Rome to rubble.

Hannibal needs to land at Pisae b/c he does not have enough movement points left to finish conquering Rome now. So another activation chit needs to be drawn ... if it is Roman, I lose; if it is Carthaginian, I win!
It's Carthaginian and the final assault is successful!

History has been rewritten. Hannibal has conquered Rome after all and that by crossing the sea on flimsy galleys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really awesome report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!!! You were very lucky too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Houben
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It just goes to show: who dares wins (at least sometimes).
Great report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yep, very nice post - thanks, Carl. I hope you don't mind - I've posted a link to your AAR on the Consimworld Pax folder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Van Dam
Canada
Houston
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, Neil. I'm happy to contribute to the Pax community! It's one of my favourite games and I haven't even played four player yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report.

This is a WONDERFUL system, IMHO. Once up and running it is fast, fun and challenging. The civ aspects to it are so cool. I can't WAIT for another title using this system.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job with this report, the images really enhance the story!

I had the privilege of sharing vicariously in the excitement of the closing stages of this dramatic game and its unexpected conclusion. I was chatting with Scurvodsky online on Skype, as he described the nail-biting decisions and drama to me. To re-live some of heart-stopping excitement of this memorable game, you can read a full play-by-play here, recounted in a rather different and less technical form:

Rewriting History: the intense and hilarious drama of my best ever game that I didn't even play
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/347903

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Steudtner
Germany
Reichshof
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, it was a great game and we both learned much from it. :)

I'd appreciate to play you again, Carl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.