United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to go to Michael's and buy 3 things, stick them together and call them a board. I've got a fairly well-rounded game that I would like to sell eventually to the mainstream, but I don't know how to get past the whole "hey, I made the board out of this cardboard-ish material and I drew on blank cards to make the deck" stage. I would like to be able to bring my design to reality, with high quality material as the official game would be.

I need to be able to make:

1) The tiles. As a tile-based game, I need to make a lot of these.
2) The figures. I need to be able to create models and have them made. For example, if I needed 100 Zombies, or 10 Heroes, etc. I want to be able to mass produce them for the game.
3) The cards. Like Arkham Horror, there are "big" cards and "small" cards that would make different decks. I need to be able to get these professionally made.
4) The Dice. I want to be able to design and create (again, in mass as with everything here) dice for this game. The would be 6-sides but I want to be able to produce dice that would have a fresh graphic on them, etc.
5) High Quality manual I can probably create at home if I really need to, but you would probably have this done out-of-house as well.
6) Other chits and chats... the little "bits" that go into a high quality and large game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Today I am identifying as a Mushroom.
mbmbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:
I don't want to go to Michael's and buy 3 things, stick them together and call them a board. I've got a fairly well-rounded game that I would like to sell eventually to the mainstream, but I don't know how to get past the whole "hey, I made the board out of this cardboard-ish material and I drew on blank cards to make the deck" stage. I would like to be able to bring my design to reality, with high quality material as the official game would be.

I need to be able to make:

1) The tiles. As a tile-based game, I need to make a lot of these.
2) The figures. I need to be able to create models and have them made. For example, if I needed 100 Zombies, or 10 Heroes, etc. I want to be able to mass produce them for the game.
3) The cards. Like Arkham Horror, there are "big" cards and "small" cards that would make different decks. I need to be able to get these professionally made.
4) The Dice. I want to be able to design and create (again, in mass as with everything here) dice for this game. The would be 6-sides but I want to be able to produce dice that would have a fresh graphic on them, etc.
5) High Quality manual I can probably create at home if I really need to, but you would probably have this done out-of-house as well.
6) Other chits and chats... the little "bits" that go into a high quality and large game.

The above are all jobs for a publisher.

As a game designer you just need to have the components printed out to be able to play and show the publisher the game concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny Osborn
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You need to make do with what you can find/borrow from other games. Producing the pieces you are talking about in small quantities will cost you a fortune and you don't know if you have any buyers yet.
If you are planning on publishing the game yourself I suggest you talk to as many people on this site as possible, you will save yourself lots of money.
Rolco is a company who carries lots of bits and pieces that you could use but stay away from custom pieces for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the advice given here so far is all good. It really depends on how far you want to take this on your own before you go shopping it around. If you're looking to self publish, obviously you need to go further to find suppliers than just producing a nice looking (or even rough) prototype.

One place you may want to check out it this page
http://www.viktorygame.com/viktoryiihistory/

It pretty much takes you through the entire design and development of the Viktory II game, and focuses a lot on the production and back end stuff, lots of things in this process you may not even have thought of. Everything from initial prototype with cut out card board and post it tags and miscellaneous bits from assorted games, to his third edition of the game complete with custom plastic minis and all the trimmings. Good reading for any aspiring game designer/publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on your goals/process for publishing the game. If you're going the self-publishing route, check this thread I wrote a while back for some resources:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2525693

If you're submitting to a publisher and just doing as high-quality prototype as you can- your best bet is in-house for cost-effectiveness. Get supplies from local stores like Michaels, online stores that sell game bits/supplies, and as mentioned, pull from other games where you can.

I believe Koplow Games and Chessex can do custom dice- but they are quite expensive in small runs (as is everything).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Gercken
msg tools
Very easy solution. Go to https://www.boardgamesmaker.com/ and they will have everything you need. This will help you impress a publisher and not make them think that you are some cheap gamemaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Me? I go to the dollar store. 5 bucks and I more than make my money back.

But it depends on what you mean by "Professional Game Design".

If you want to go the publisher route, you have everything you need. There are ways to make your matte board chits or printed board nicer but it's rarely worth the cost and effort to go further.

If you want to go the self-publish route, you want to start researching manufacturers for exactly the things you needed. The best one to go with depends on your funds, your ability to move copies, and the pieces that you need.

The final useful thing is something like Gamecrafter to get prototype copies. While I wouldn't recommend a full release like this due to the high cost per unit, it can get you a good enough copy to show off while finding the right manufacturer/publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Game Crafter is great for nearly everything you mentioned.

They do boards, cards, tiles, and many other things. I’ve printed probably over 1000 cards with them, enough stickers to coat 200 dice, multiple boards, and 200-300 tokens. They have multiple sizes of cards.

They have dice stickers which you can use on blank D6s. These were good enough to run 2 days of demos at Alpha Build at PaxUnplugged as well as a large number of play tests.

Dice with more faces would have to come from somewhere else. I’ve used admagic for custom stickers and bought blank D8s from Chessex for the D8s I’ve used.

I was very happy with the end result and it blew play testers away when I’ve pulled out a high quality prototypes.

Now, bases on what you’ve said it will certainly cost some money, probably between $100 and $200 depending on how you get your minis printed.

The minis will be a bit more of a problem as molds typically cost over $3000 for custom minis to be mass produced but you can 3D print them and the quality certainly works for what you are describing. Feel free to message me if you want any more details or I can post back here. Either works!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.