Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from our usual lessons, the four year 9s I have for boardgames often come by on Wednesday lunchtimes for more boardgaming. I tend to participate in those games rather than supervise them, partly to give the students the experience of playing someone who's played these games a lot more than them (thus showing them how skill takes a part), but mostly because it's just fun playing boardgames!

I had three of my students playing with me this game of TTR:Europe (the fourth was held up with a family commitment). My initial tickets were Brest-Petrograd, Warszawa-Smolensk, Kyiv-Sochi and Barcelona-Bruxelles. I discarded only the last, giving me three tickets to complete.

I then forgot about the ticket I'd discarded and immediately took the Bruxelles-Amsterdam link. I have no idea why I did - I certainly didn't need it! It did give one of my students (S) a couple of moments pause, however, as he needed links around that place.

G was the quickest out of the blocks, though, using all of her train cards in making link after link, connecting Spain to the heart of Europe. She'd draw a few cards, then use them all taking a couple more links. In no time, she'd sped to the front.

S was playing very slowly indeed, collecting up a great hand of cards. B was quicker, and kept taking locomotive cards; soon enough the reason was clear: he was connecting all the ferry routes around Greece and Italy.

I started taking my routes: Kyiv-Sochi was the first completed, then Warszawa-Smolensk. I was dreadfully worried that the Brest-Petrograd would give me trouble, but, amazingly, everyone else stayed out of my way and I was the first to build on the Paris-Frankfurt-Berlin-Warszawa links.

S finally started going, and began connecting the north with the south, and gained many points thereby; his masterplan revealed when he connected Petrograd-Stockholm and shot to the lead.

I finally connected up Petrograd myself, and had my three tickets. I drew three more, and was delighted to find Berlin-Moskva, which I'd already completed. A couple more ticket draws netted me Bruxelles-Danzig (two 2-long connections and it was complete) and Brest-Marseille.

That last gave me problems. The game was reaching its close and I needed to collect 4 trains of the same colour. I was dreadfully worried that S. was going to connect up a 3-route and end the game. As it happened, he managed to completely forget that he had a couple of wilds in his hand and I had a couple more turns in which I collected the final cards I needed, and ended the game by claiming Paris-Marseille.

In the final scoring, S and G had both made the longest route of 35 trains, but G had only completed one ticket of her three: thankfully, it was her 21-pointer (Stockholm-Cadiz), but the other tickets were nowhere near where she was building and weren't even started. S completed his three tickets, whilst B the ferryman had completed his four tickets. S had used only the one station; no-one else had needed to.

62 points from my final tickets, 12 points from stations, plus the points from the actual game gave me the win with a score of 137. S was only ten points behind me - if he'd ended the game when he should have, the 14 point swing would have given him the game. B was a couple of points behind S, and G... was last.

They all enjoyed it though. In our next regular class, we'll resume our examination of Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was dreadfully worried

- This is what makes TtR a great game for me - the angst of wondering whether you will finish or not. I played a game of Nordic Countries a while ago and I decided to try as many tickets as I could. If anyone had blocked me anywhere I would have lost up to half my points. I only had four or five extra trains available for detours. Fortunately the other players were too busy to take notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.