Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory each piece you move counts as one move so to move a stack of 3 from one hex to the next costs 3 moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. One disk, one movement (at the start). As you move farther along the tech track, you can move more disks more distance (there's a separate track for each, disks and distance). If memory serves, it maxes out at 4 disks at a distance of 5, but that's just from memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Movement is definitely very limited until players acquire Navigation. I think it's meant to be this way, and that early positioning is a very influential factor. If movement was easier I think that the early game decisions wouldn't be as meaningful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BrenoK wrote:
Wait, it costs 3 movement to move a stack of 3 to a single destination? That really slows the game down significantly.

If you're using normal movement, then yep, it's one movement point per hex per piece.

If you've made a successful military attack, though, you can move as many pieces from the victorious stack as desired into the target hex; that's one incentive for being the aggressor in a border conflict.

BrenoK wrote:
Oh well, I'll keep playing the way we did, looks like it's more fun.

Of course - play the game any way your play-group finds more fun!

That being said, I'd encourage you to give the as-written movement rules a try sometime - while the initial expansion/territory-claiming won't happen as quickly, there are some interesting benefits in the dynamic of play:
-- It rewards forethought and clever positioning - you can't just move all those 3-stacks to cover the terrain-of-the-next-age; you've got to plan ahead.
-- It makes early cities more valuable, since they count for all terrains in progression.
-- It rewards well-thought-out military aggression, which lets you move larger stacks of pieces into a desirable terrain with a single attack.
-- It makes long-range military adventurism more difficult, since getting enough pieces into position to attack takes more actions. (Of course, for folks who prefer a game more about large wars, this may be a minus, not a plus.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.