Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Askew
United Kingdom
Pelaw, Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this is the wrong place for a thread like this...

Are people interested in perhaps running a UK based SS this year? I've partaken in previous global ones but I'd rather spend my dough on more games & less postage, then I can really spoil someone.

Any takers?
C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already signed up to Tom's international one, but I'd be happy to participate in a UK Secret Santa as well.

The only issue there would be the possibility of getting the same game from both schemes. One part of me says "what the heck" - there is a slim change both Santas will pick the same thing, and if they did, then I've got trade goods.

On the other hand, perhaps anyone taking part in both Secret Santas could nominate a "BGG-friend" in their special instructions - someone who both Santas can contact to make sure duplication doesn't take place, while otherwise staying silent about the whole thing.

What do people think - is it worth the extra effort, or should we just risk it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm keen too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'd be interested also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested, but I would only participate if a set amount (even a range , like 'between 10 and 20') was set. Reason for this is that , even though I would be extremely keen on giving a gift to a fellow gamer, with something of his liking, I would be extremely reluctant to participate if the values involved where too high. I would also not like to give a 10 game and receive a 40 game, it would just not feel right.

It's just being one of those years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
slightly askew wrote:
Apologies if this is the wrong place for a thread like this...

Are people interested in perhaps running a UK based SS this year? I've partaken in previous global ones but I'd rather spend my dough on more games & less postage, then I can really spoil someone.

Any takers?
C.

Speaking as someone who participated in last year's SS event, my recipient was in the southern hemisphere (i.e. New Zealand/Australia - I don't want to give myself away) and what I did was find an online game store in their country - solved the shipping problem and they even made sure the gift card said it was from their Secret Santa.

So the postage issue is a red herring, unless you were planning to send something from your collection that you already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this kind of thing should be way too american and cheesey for grumpy brits to stomach. you should be happy with a lump of coal and an orange. make a game out of that, son!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will gladly participate in both. After all, it's the giving, not the receiving that counts.

Yes, you always run the risk of getting a " bad " deal, but that's not the point at all. Your wish list is games that you want, so anything from there should be good news all round. I don't think one should worry that you could have bought the game for less etc. etc.

Go for it and damn the torpedoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I participate in 2 Secret Santas, and have tagged my wishlist entries so that I cannot get doubles. It's easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Murray
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always up for some Secret Santa Action..

Er Does that sound rude...

Anyways I am in.

Frag. Out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me on the maybe list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlima wrote:
I would be interested, but I would only participate if a set amount (even a range , like 'between 10 and 20') was set. Reason for this is that , even though I would be extremely keen on giving a gift to a fellow gamer, with something of his liking, I would be extremely reluctant to participate if the values involved where too high. I would also not like to give a 10 game and receive a 40 game, it would just not feel right.

Hahah. It would have to be a Scotsman who came out with a statement like this!

I might be interested. The P&P issue is one of the things that's put me off doing the international one in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilson
United Kingdom
Falkirk
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be up for this if it went ahead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, please change the thread title to Secret Father Christmas. I know it is not alliterative, but still. Maybe Furtive Father Christmas? Santa is that 'dude' off the Coca Cola adverts, not the fellow who brings British people presents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:
Additionally, please change the thread title to Secret Father Christmas. I know it is not alliterative, but still. Maybe Furtive Father Christmas? Santa is that 'dude' off the Coca Cola adverts, not the fellow who brings British people presents.

The story that our current depiction of Santa Claus was an invention of the Coca Cola company is an often repeated urban legend.

The name simply is an anglicisation of the dutch Sinterklaas (also known as St Nicholas), and the idea of him being a fat bearded jolly gentleman dates back at least to the 19th century, and the poem "A visit from St Nicholas" - the poem itself describes Santa, but not the colour of his garb, but later illustrated editions from 1907 show him dressed in the familiar red, trimmed with white fur.

The Coca Cola campaign wasn't until the 1930's, so they were copying the popular image, not the other way around.

As a kid in 60's London, I was certainly brought up with stories of "Santa" rather than "Father Christmas", and during my childhood Christmas trips to the west end (Selfridges or Hamleys) it was always "Santa's Grotto" we went to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parents taking their kids to "Santa's Grotto", with a fat Dutch guy hanging out with a bunch of ageless elves and there's all this other weird junk going on - isn't it clear? SANTA'S BOUNCED OFF HIS MIND ON POT. And we're exposing children to this. MAN ALIVE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little ditty from my childhood:

Hark the herald angels sing
Santa's dropping everything
See him tumble down the stairs
Scattering presents everywhere
He was cold when he dropped in
So he had a nip of gin
Now we don't know what to do
He's stuck half-way up our flue
See the reindeer in the sky
Don't look up as they pass by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd join, but I can't increase my total budget, so the gifts in both this & the international SS would have to be carefully chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I'd join, but I can't increase my total budget, so the gifts in both this & the international SS would have to be carefully chosen.

If this goes ahead and I'm your target, you know what to send...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Hahah. It would have to be a Scotsman who came out with a statement like this!

Naughty boy. No gift for you this Christmas. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In any case, if this is to go ahead it needs to start moving pretty soon, otherwise we risk getting into December for shipping the items and so on, and that's not a very good option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste James
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris, a UK Secret Santa would be great. Count me in.
cheers
Ste James
Liverpool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd assumed the regional Secret Santas wouldn't go ahead now that the rules for Tom Vasel's SS has been changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not 2 (or more)? Twice the giving, but double the receiving!

The earlier comment about using local FLGSs is obvious. I had a U.S. Santa recipient last year, but postage was kept to a minimum by calling a U.S. store to supply the game. As it happened the US Dollar was rock bottom, so everything came to much less than I would have paid for that game in the U.K. I can't speak for Outer Mongolia, but a U.S. target is no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.