Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Smith
United States
Perris
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has posted previews of a couple of races (three are in the example of play), a box manifest, and brief description of the game. I think the artwork on the cite look great. We should only have to wait a little longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The site: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cosmicencounter/index.shtm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
SWEET!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks amazing! My most anticipated game of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, but the logo ... it's so ugly ... the poxy swash .... the kerning between the e and the n ... it hurts ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Aye, the kerning is winceworthy. The illustrations and other graphics are looking nice, though. Looks to be the odd nod to previous versions as well.

Depending on how the Aussie dollar holds up, this will probably stay on my shopping list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

I don't know what "kerning" is. I assume you guys mean the weird line that cuts through the middle of the logo? Kind of strange, but not that bad really.

Negotiate.... blech. I was hoping (wishful thinking, really) for the old lingo. Oh well. I can live with "encounter cards", I guess. Keeping my fingers crossed for "edicts" instead of "artifacts", though.

Hyperspace "gate".... Errr... well, at least it's not "mother ship", and it's vaguely cone shaped, so good enough.

Reinforcements.... Cool! I never have played a Mayfair set, and always wanted to try these out. Did Mayfair rules limit these to main player or ally only?

Morph....? Interesting. I'm hoping for some other unusual challenge cards too.

Mirror.... I suspected it was in when I saw attack cards listing numbers like 08. It's another one I've never tried due to no Mayfair set.

Dictator.... You choose a card from the destiny deck, instead of the old way where you just decide what color to make it. This is both weaker than the original and simultaneously stronger (assuming there are comets or other unusual destiny cards.) Sounds fun. Does it move up to "good annoying" now?

Histories.... Looks like they went with the Eon originals word for word. Great choice.

All in all, I couldn't be more excited about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Awesome!

I don't know what "kerning" is.

Kerning is the space between letters of the same word.

In the days of the printing press, each letter was in a block, and so all you could do is push each block right up against the one before it. But in the digital age, you can push the letters of a word right on top of one another if you feel like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
O_O!!!! EEK!

50 Alien Sheets (alien powers)
20 Destiny Cards (destiny deck)
72 Cosmic Cards (encounter cards?)
50 Flare Cards (encounter deck)
40 Tech Cards (renamed edicts?)
42 Cosmic Cards (???)
7 Grudge Tokens (???)
1 Genesis Planet (???)
1 Lunar Cannon Token (???)
1 Prometheus Token (???)
1 Alternate Filch Flare (yay, wonder what the diff is?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The "mind" race reminds me of the evil flying brains from Futurama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
As my version is the Eon original it's probably about time I updated it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbuel wrote:

Kerning is the space between letters of the same word.

Ah, I see. Yeah, the "En" looks weird in the logo. The "m" in Cosmic looks weird too. No big deal, though.

marhawkman wrote:
O_O!!!! EEK!
40 Tech Cards (renamed edicts?)

surprise

There wouldn't be 40 edicts. This must be something else. I know Jack Reda had a "Tech" expansion at the Warp, but I forget what it is.

Maybe edicts are included in Tech (or in "Cosmic Cards" more likely), as a sort of Reward Deck, which is another thing I believe Jack proposed at some point. In other words, you pull some random blind cards from the rewards deck and shuffle them into the challenge deck when setting up the game. That way, you can never be sure exactly which edicts, reinforcements, or other goodies are going to be in the game.

Quote:
7 Grudge Tokens (???)
1 Genesis Planet (???)
1 Lunar Cannon Token (???)
1 Prometheus Token (???)

Grudge definitely needed a nudge in power just to reach "below average". I have no idea what tokens would be used for, though. I'm intrigued. The other things sound cool too. I want a lunar cannon!

Quote:
1 Alternate Filch Flare (yay, wonder what the diff is?)

Isn't the original Filch Flare the one that encourages you to literally steal things from the table? I know some players who find that type of rule to be offensive, if not unplayable. Maybe they included the original, but added a less "cosmic" alternative for the faint of heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmmm....on the fence with this one. I did not like the Hasblow version of the game. I don't want that remade!yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that is a Philanthropist on the front page: definitely my fav alien ROXXORS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be the best version yet! I even love the logo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Isn't the original Filch Flare the one that encourages you to literally steal things from the table? I know some players who find that type of rule to be offensive, if not unplayable. Maybe they included the original, but added a less "cosmic" alternative for the faint of heart.

The original Filch Wild allowed a player to take cards from the deck until he was caught, at which time he would have to dicard the flare. Besides rubbing some folks the wrong way, it didn't work with Mayfair's one-time-use flares. I forget what the Mayfair version was, but it wasn't as much fun. I'm glad they are (apparently) including two versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how they have color coded the aliens for suggested beginner, intermediate and advanced players. That way someone new to the game can feel they can jump in and yet experienced players can have a range of aliens to work with.

I'm glad they did this rather than just release the set with 12 aliens (and then never get around to expansions with more!)

As for the box, it's not the best, but it couldn't get any worse than the Hasbro one, which my husband called the ugliest art he'd ever seen; it reminded him of a design airbrushed on to a van in the 80s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a new Tech- not the one that appeared on The Warp. It's finally an official new thing for Cosmic. But yes, you can expect Artifacts too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
This is a new Tech- not the one that appeared on The Warp. It's finally an official new thing for Cosmic.

Hmm, interesting. Do you know what it is then? And are you allowed to talk about it?

Anyway, the new artwork looks great. I assume that's Calculator and Zombie at the bottom of the new site. My guesses for the ones across the top (starting from the left):

1. Trader (top) and Grudge (bottom)
2. Clone (revealed elsewhere, but obvious)
3. Prophet (the bird-like guy in the middle)
4. Not sure about the robot hammer-head guy
5. I was thinking Dictator at first, but the Dictator card is posted elsewhere (and while cool, looks nothing like the old dictator). So, I don't know, maybe Macron?

Also, what's up with the little numbers on the warp:

Maybe it's a way to track how many bases each player has. Or it could be non-planets for the Eon Warpish.

FFG, please release the game TOMORROW. I can't wait any longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a couple new aliens in the banner artwork... they'll get previewed on the site sometime soon, I bet.

The numbers around the Warp are indeed to keep track on bases... no more wins for people cuz the other players weren't paying attention. Hehehhe.

Some of those other freaky components: Lunar Cannon, etc. will have something to do with Tech. It's a good expansion- easy to implement, or leave out if you want to tone things down. Nicely balanced (and oh, so many variants waiting to be included on my website!)

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wang
United States
west covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play the computer game @ cosmicencounteronline, I like the alien combo feature. It allow players to play with fixed set of aliens that work great together. I hope FFG can adopt that and put the collection of aliens in the rule book or available to be printed on the website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok Im taking some credit for the "stacking disc" idea.

What comes in the game:

My suggestion:

as proposed back in Aug of 2007 HERE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So why are the words across the top upside down?

See the Mind for an example:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
So why are the words across the top upside down?

See the Mind for an example:

So other players can see what your ALIEN power does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, those card counts look weird, now that I'm looking at them again. Ah I see, just a crossed wire somewhere. The components should read:

Rulebook
1 Warp
5 Player Colony Markers
1 Hyperspace Gate
25 Player Planets (5 per player)
100 Plastic Ships (20 per player)
50 Alien Sheets
20 Destiny Cards
72 Cosmic Cards
50 Flare Cards
20 Tech Cards
42 Cosmic Tokens (used generically for stuff like tracking the Warrior's XP)
7 Grudge Tokens
1 Genesis Planet
1 Lunar Cannon Token
1 Prometheus Token
1 Alternate Filch Flare

I'll get it fixed on Monday.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

PS - Man-o-war, your stacking saucers were indeed my starting point for the ship design, as I read that geeklist quite closely to see what folks were looking for in the new edition. In the end, I gave up the ability to flip them over in order to increase the stability of the stacks (the little domes on top nestle inside a recess on the bottom of the saucers when stacked). With various cardboard tokens, we can get around the need to flip any ships over. On the other hand, these ships can be turned over and spun like little tops during breaks in play - a win for fidgety gamers like myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.