Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I first got into boardgames, I've been interested in Evo. It seemed like a game with solid strategy wrapped in a fun package. It took me well over a year to track down a copy, but I finally got one in a Math Trade. It then took me about 6 more months to get it to the table. This past Wednesday night, we finally decided to give it a spin.

Bianca, Eric, and I sat down to play Evo for the first time. I'd read the rules a few times, so I felt ready to teach the game. We learned the rules and then set off to play. There aren't too many rules so it wasn't that hard for everyone to figure the game out.

The first two turns of the game were very slow. There was no competition for spaces and no conflict between dinos. I was a bit afraid that nothing was going to happen. Even our first two auctions were completely uneventful with nobody spending any points. Bianca took the first horn while Eric and I both took a foot.

As the game progressed, conflict ensued. Eric acquired a horn so he and Bianca began picking on me since I didn't have one. I took the first egg that appeared so that I could get more dinos on the board. I was ahead by a point or two for the most of the game because I didn't spend many points on auctions. Bianca had also gotten a mutant gene so she was saving points on every auction.

With the endgame drawing near, Eric made a bad play and forgot which way the temperatures worked for survival. He ended up losing 4 dinos in one turn which stopped him in his tracks. He was setting up to run away with the game but that mistake cost him dearly. He did acquire a second horn, so he was picking on both Bianca and I a bit. I was the big target though because by this point I had 3 eggs and was dropping babies like crazy. However, the combined attack of Bianca and Eric kept my family at bay.

With one massive turn of attacks, Bianca decimated my dinos and stormed into the lead. This was one turn before the possible end of the game. She had played perfectly and capitalized on Eric's bad turn to take a commanding position on the board. She had timed the climate perfectly and was set up perfectly for some hot spots in the final couple turns. When the first die roll came to end the came it was unsuccessful. However, the second possible end turn was indeed the end. Bianca won with almost 70 points, about 6 ahead of Eric and I. It was very close until the end but I have to give Bianca huge credit for playing it perfectly. Eric's one bad turn was basically the difference between him winning and losing, but he was still very competitive after that.

After the game was over, Bianca said that Evo could be one of her all-time favorite games. Eric said it was going into the game group's Hall of Fame. I was very happy with it, feeling that I'd found a really unique game that offers both fun and serious strategy.

So what did we learn in our first game of Evo?

1. The cards are awesome, but its not necessarily worth getting more. Some are much better than others. None of them are useless. Its really about playing the cards at the right time for your strategy.
2. The climate is awesome! Its a very cool and unique mechanism. However, its a bit confusing. Once you get the hang of it, its really amazing.
3. I think the game is better with 4 or 5 players than 3. I see it being much more competitive. 3 works, but I think more players creates more conflict and tension.
4. It was worth the wait to get this game and play it. I'm glad I kept trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Even our first two auctions were completely uneventful with nobody spending any points.

You need to play the one-less items than the number of players variant. It makes auctions much more brutal.

Quote:

With the endgame drawing near, Eric made a bad play and forgot which way the temperatures worked for survival.

The sun/climate board has a counter-intuitive feel at first (and even later!)

We've played quite a few games, and every turn someone's still sure to ask, "now, is that the hot sun or the cold sun... and what does that mean again?"

It's a hot sun, so that means you better get to the cold spots.

BTW, fun session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun game and very accessable for non gamers. Now you need to add some dino minis to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
jdberry wrote:

BTW, fun session report.

Thank you!

neoshmengi wrote:
Fun game and very accessable for non gamers. Now you needs to add some dino minis to the game!

I said that during the game, and Bianca said "Is this the next one?" in reference to my obsession with getting animeeples for Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to my wish list, thanks for sharing.

This sounds really cool, can't wait to finish our house so I have $ again for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
I said that during the game, and Bianca said "Is this the next one?" in reference to my obsession with getting animeeples for Agricola.

http://www.learningresources.com/product/mini+dino+counters%...

These ones work well. Your herds will have different species in them though, because there aren't enough to have a herd of only red tyranosauses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.