Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
The dynamic, talented, and unbelievably charismatic lead singer for the Four Tops died today. For my money, Motown is generally overrated in comparison to Stax/Volt, King, or other indie soul labels, but I'll allow that they never released a bad record in the sixties, and the Four Tops have always been a favorite act of mine even in the company of Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and the Supremes. I love soul singers that always sounded like they're on the verge of collapse, and that's just what Levi brought to the table: an emotional intensity that few others in the smoothed out, poppy Motown stable could match.

I haven't been able to find live footage from the sixties, when lip-sync was ascendant, but here's some video from about ten years ago, shortly before he stopped touring. He still had a more powerful voice at 60 than most pop singers today start out with.

And here's a more recent tribute to the man from Aretha Franklin and the current iteration of the Four Tops. It's hard for me to get through, as it's really sad to see the great man in the shape he was in. But the sweetness and affection is wonderful to see, and very touching.

And Billy Bragg's tribute to the man, for kicks:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
geez I'm sorry to hear this. The Four Tops were my favorite Motown group, too.

Reach Out, I'll Be There is one of my all time favorite songs, the vocals on that are so amazing. I used to listen to that over and over in college.

That voice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that explains it... My wife listens to NPR in the evenings as we putter around doing our routines, and I sorta listen halfway. Last night I was wondering why they were playing all the Four Tops stuff, but didn't make the connection. Sad to hear it- really great and moving music, also my fave Motown. RIP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rest in peace.

(However, to me his stage name sounds like the alternative name for Shaky the Mohel from that Seinfeld episode...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.