Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the 9 solitaire games that I've recorded here, I've only managed to win one measly game ... although all of them were on "easy" difficulty.

I'm far from being an expert, but I still can't see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. In one of the last games, the robot (Separatist Colony) beat me (Old Earth) 43:21 - more than double my score. It's humiliating...

Anybody else got some experience against the robot yet? I'm wondering whether I'm playing it wrong in some way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd probably see more responses once people actually have the game (in mass amounts, not just the few that have trickled out overseas).

Sorry but that's the reason for my lack of interest in these articles, I imagine it's the same with the rest of us die-hards who are eagerly awaiting this cool expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have played somewhere between 20 and 30 solo games so far. the first one was very close, then the robot began to beat me up bad. (similar scores to your own) then i devised some strategy and now the games are very close again and i begin to win more than i loose... of course this is all in easy mode as well. i have to say, i am quite pleased with the solo variant of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Angel Garcia Gomez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can feel your pain. I have played around 8 solo games and only managed to win 2. It looks like you can not keep the robot from winning his "fake" 6 cost devolopment, and that usually makes the difference. A fast -lucky- military strategy with NS and a fast -lucky again- produce consume engine with ELC were my victories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making me feel like it's not just me.

Yesterday I managed to get my first comfortable win, which didn't seem to depend solely on luck (I still got good draws).

One thing I learned: Try to do "x2 Consume" at the same time as "Produce", as when the robot adapts (which he fairly often does) he'll choose the right-most of your actions to copy. And you much rather want him to Produce (+1 Economy) than to do Consume/2x (2x Victory Points PLUS +1 Economy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthoroc wrote:
One thing I learned: Try to do "x2 Consume" at the same time as "Produce", as when the robot adapts (which he fairly often does) he'll choose the right-most of your actions to copy. And you much rather want him to Produce (+1 Economy) than to do Consume/2x (2x Victory Points PLUS +1 Economy).

Sage advice even against non-robots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthoroc wrote:
Thanks for making me feel like it's not just me.

My first solo games vs. the robot resulted in score around 40 to 20 in favor of the robot.

The problem was that the bot accummulated 20 or more tokens VP in 6 turns.
I think your right you should find a way to reduce the robot playing Consume x2.This single action seems critical when the bot reach 4 or 5 Economy and costed me most of my loss.

This lead to the question of how differently you should play against the bot or against a human opponent. Although I feel rather experienced with RFTG for 2pl.- with the advanced rule of course- I think that you have to play rather differntly against the bot.

Production/Consume strategy doesn't seems to works well vs. the bot as it increase the chance that the bot will copy your choice and choose consume.Moreover the stack of Vp tokens will be used more quickly and the game might last only 5 turns, then the bot seems to have the advantage as it's ard to overcome its 6 dev. tokens..
Contrarily it seems that you can Explore more than in a Face to Face game as it is rather inneficient for the Bot.
It looks like you should focus on Develop and Colonize

IMPORTANT EDIT:
Actually I was making a serious rules mistakeblush:
when the robot choosed Consume I did the Consume action Plus the action supposed to be done only when the bot choosed both Consume action.

i.e. when the bot did Consume x2, I did Consume x2 plus Consume $x2. wich lead to the bot earning 14 or more tokens in only one actions.

Hopefuly I played with the correct rule yesterday and every thing worked fine, and the game feeled more like the face to face game.
And I was able to win using various strategies including production.

I should say that the rules work fine once you understand how they should be played.
They look more like a summary of play than a proper rule, this is due to the compact size of the text, the samll characters size don't help either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the robot can sometimes fire up a very mean VP machine. Key here is really to avoid having the robot getting to many 2xVP Consumes.

I slowly seem to get the hang of it. I've now won 3 solo games in a row (still on "Easy") and the last one was a close victory despite non-perfect card draws (no working 6-dev) and the robot getting two 6-devs.

Contrary to Arnaud, I've found that I compete better with the robot with a produce-consume strategy, as the robot will often adapt to my Produce, but not do 2xVP Consume at the same time. Obviously this would not work well against a robot with an emphasis on Consume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
You'd probably see more responses once people actually have the game.

It's a common American misconception that 'people' and 'Americans' are synonymous. In fact, they are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Burnside
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
QBert80 wrote:
wytefang wrote:

It's a common American misconception that 'people' and 'Americans' are synonymous. In fact, they are not.

Soylens Veridis Homines Est!

(Speaking of synonyms for 'people')
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Zigler
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Your one of those shifty Canadians’ so I’m not sure I can believe you.

Zigg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a Canadian?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Zigler
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
What's a Canadian?

Any person that is shifty, of course.....

Duh,

Zigg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of Canadians in Rhode Island, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarno Suntio
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 10 solitaire games on medium difficulty and have won only one
The robot sure does get a lot of VP's, I'll try the strategy of selecting both consume 2x and produce to avoid the robot adopting to my consume 2x action...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the expansion and played my first solo game...holy crap did that robot rock me! 36-15, robot was Damaged Alien Factory and I played Separatist Colony.

The thing is, the robot kept rolling Consume x2 and with its default Produce action it made it to Economy size 5 in no time. 10VPs on Consume each turn until the chips ran out was unbeatable. It seems like the solo version is so heavily dependent on luck and I'm not sure where the skill comes in. Nothing I can do to prevent the robot from rolling x2 a couple of times.

What I don't understand is why does the Consume x2 action INCREASE the robot's economy? If anything it should decrease as the goods are consumed and need to be produced again. That said, Produce seems like the best player action to take since the robot gains nothing from this unless it rolls * or Produce itself. In a real game, Produce is one of the actions I am most careful about taking but against the robot if I have even one windfall world it seems like the best play. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.