Popular Tags: [View All]
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So to start our Fri. night gaming session we decided to play a few rounds of The Great Dalmuti. For those of you who don't know, The Great Dalmuti is just a remake of a well-known card game that goes by a variety of different names. Some of you may know it as President; some of you may use slightly more derogatory terms (assuming that "president" is in some quarters a derogatory term at the moment )

There were six of us, and we were in for some silly fun. The hats were distributed as follows:

The Greater Peon: a yellow hardhat
The Lesser Peon: a rather ignominious looking black cap
The Merchants: A Fireman Hat, and a green Gardener's Hat
The Lesser Dalmuti: A nice blue and white Doctor Seuss hat
And lastly, for the Greater Dalmuti, we reserved this fine specimen of a hat:

Being the host I was consigned to starting as the Greater Peon. I quickly explained the rules. Actually, it took a while as some of the higher classes did not always deign to listen to the talk of the rabble. Finally the game got under way with the first Taxation.

I was forced to give my best two cards to the Greater Dalmuti, and in return I got a couple of twelves. I now had five twelves, which I thought might be hard to get rid of unless I could start a round. The problem, you see, is that you have to play as many cards (and lower) as the previous person, so if someone starts out with with one card you can't suddenly throw down a set of five.

The big question to consider was whether to break up the set or wait until I could win a set late in the round and then throw down the hammer. I opted for the latter strategy.

At first this caused much derision and laughter. My wife, the Lesser Peon scoffed and chuckled when I played only a few cards and spent most of my time passing. "Surely you must have something to play?"

When the two Dalmutis were out and had secured their places (they switched) my time came. I managed to win one hand, throw down my five twelves, which of course went unanswered, and ended with a lousy eleven. Hooray, I had just risen four ranks to sit beside the Lesser Dalmuti as a merchant.

From there it was a gradual climb to the top. I thought my wife looked cute with her yellow hardhat on, but I was glad I didn't have to do any of the dealing out of cards and cleaning up. No more manual labour for me!

The second round I moved up to be the Lesser Dalmuti. Wearing the Dr. Seuss hat seemed to be a lucky charm as I got an amazing hand. I had two jesters, which would have allowed me to call a revolution (meaning no taxation that round), but of course I chose not to.

The Greater Dalmuti claimed that she "would not be toppled by such an upstart," but eventually she realized that her reign was over.

What a glorious rise to fame! From rags to riches in three rounds.

Unfortunately, in the next game (Iliade) the partnership of the Greater and Lesser Dalmuti got utterly decimated, showing that lady Fortuna is a fickle mistress. But getting to wear the purple hat even for a moment was worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. The Great Dalmuti is indeed a game much enhanced with the wearing of hats!

When do we get to see a photo of Mr HomoLudens himself wearing his legendary purple Greater Dalmuti hat, besides Mrs HomoLudens wearing her yellow Greater Peon hardhat?

I hereby offer a 1GG reward upon the post of such an image here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was one participant who took some pictures, so who knows. Perhaps he will one day be ready to embarrass us all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Koopmans
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas, my photos only document Mr Ludens as Greater Peon, and as such cannot corraborate his rise to Greater Dalmuti.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A picture of Mr HomoLudens in a yellow hard hat? That's definitely worth 1GG sir, should it appear here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
A picture of Mr HomoLudens in a yellow hard hat? That's definitely worth 1GG sir, should it appear here!

I have the strange feeling that I'm becoming the victim of some blackmail scheme here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Koopmans
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cvandyk wrote:

I have the strange feeling that I'm becoming the victim of some blackmail scheme here.

So how many geekgold is it worth to not post this picture, Mr Ludens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeshko wrote:
cvandyk wrote:

So how many geekgold is it worth to not post this picture, Mr Ludens?

Hmm, I have contacted the police and they will be on your case shortly.

In all seriousness, if it's a nice picture perhaps I'll use it in my profile. However, I'm Dutch when it comes to Geekgold...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Koopmans
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taken on my cell phone camera in bad lighting, so I apologize for poor quality, but nonetheless, Mr Ludens in a yellow Hard Hat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.