Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Escobar
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Mosterpocalypse is more of "miniature wargame lite" but it seems that it shares many similarities to Dreamblade.

If you had to choose to play one, which one would it be and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamblade, because it's really cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daarck wrote:
... but it seems that it shares many similarities to Dreamblade.

It has many more differences so any kind of direct comparison would be moot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
It has many more differences so any kind of direct comparison would be moot.

But one is on the discount rack now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Escobar
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IRON SPECTRE wrote:
Daarck wrote:
I know Mosterpocalypse is more of "miniature wargame lite" but it seems that it shares many similarities to Dreamblade.

If you had to choose to play one, which one would it be and why?

Having played both, I dont see any similarities at all, other than both were made of plastic and had pre painted miniatures with square bases?

Its like saying the "prince of darkness" and Ghandi have lots in common because they were both "male".

Though to be honest, I never did get close enough to the prince of darkness to check out his plumbing and verify the whole "male" thing, could be a woman when you think about it, lol it WOULD make sense devil

What I meant by "similarities" was:

1. They're pre-painted collectible games.
2. They both come with dice and a board (In the case of Monsterpocalypse, many different kinds can be bought.)
3. They both have "buildings" (though their function is diffrent).
4. You need to "spawn" things onto the board (even though this is done differently in both).
5. It's grid based.
6. They both make use of combos.

I understand that they are different games. Please don't belittle my question. Apples and Oranges are different fruit, but they are still fruit and you can prefer one over another for different reasons, at different times. It doesn't make one better or worse than another. I merely wanted to know your personal preference and why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation would be Monsterpocalypse. My reasons are:

1. I like Privateer Press as a company a great deal and like to support them. I'm not sure who in the industry you are supporting by buying Dreamblade (I guess giving some stores back a pittance of the money they invested on it can't be bad). I do not dislike Wizards (I buy, and enjoy, a great amount of their product), but PP seems to connect a little better with its fan-base, in my opinion.

2. I like the theme a lot. It is also, in my opinion, a considerably nicer looking game. It is also easier to convince my friends to play a Kaiju game than Dreamblade.

3. Honestly, I like the slightly more traditional ruleset of Monsterpocalypse better. I think it does a fantastic job of capturing the Kaiju spirit. Dreamblade has a good ruleset, but it just feels more abstracted to me.

4. I like the idea that, since at least one FLGS in my area is supporting MonPoc, I may be able to go down and play in a couple of tournaments and be social. If I don't want to do that, I know there is an active player-base that I can draw from. This may or may not be applicable to you. I also like supporting FLGS when I can, even though it costs me a little more.

5. Dreamblade is a finite set at this point. If MonPoc continues to do as well as it is now, there is the chance in the future for considerably more pieces.

6. Dreamblade does not have Gorghadra.

So, that's it for me, YMMV. Good luck making your decision, and I hope you enjoy whatever you end up getting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Escobar
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TragicHeroBC wrote:
My recommendation would be Monsterpocalypse. My reasons are:

1. I like Privateer Press as a company a great deal and like to support them. I'm not sure who in the industry you are supporting by buying Dreamblade (I guess giving some stores back a pittance of the money they invested on it can't be bad). I do not dislike Wizards (I buy, and enjoy, a great amount of their product), but PP seems to connect a little better with its fan-base, in my opinion.

2. I like the theme a lot. It is also, in my opinion, a considerably nicer looking game. It is also easier to convince my friends to play a Kaiju game than Dreamblade.

3. Honestly, I like the slightly more traditional ruleset of Monsterpocalypse better. I think it does a fantastic job of capturing the Kaiju spirit. Dreamblade has a good ruleset, but it just feels more abstracted to me.

4. I like the idea that, since at least one FLGS in my area is supporting MonPoc, I may be able to go down and play in a couple of tournaments and be social. If I don't want to do that, I know there is an active player-base that I can draw from. This may or may not be applicable to you. I also like supporting FLGS when I can, even though it costs me a little more.

5. Dreamblade is a finite set at this point. If MonPoc continues to do as well as it is now, there is the chance in the future for considerably more pieces.

6. Dreamblade does not have Gorghadra.

So, that's it for me, YMMV. Good luck making your decision, and I hope you enjoy whatever you end up getting!

Thanks, that was very helpful.

I own Dreamblade and have a few figures (about fifty figures or so). I like it, which is one of the reasons why Monsterpocalypse sounds good to me. I've also gotten an overview of the rules and how the game plays and it sounds great. I like hearing from people who've played both so I might get an idea how they compare.

I've hear lots or good things about PP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Escobar
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IRON SPECTRE wrote:
I dont know about you guys but when I hear the words "Dream Blade" somewhere in my mind I hear other words like "titanic"...

The big beautiful game that sunk below the waves and took all hands with it...

A landscape that was so rich and full of promise, that really began to start showing us things towards the end...

Great to play, interesting to watch, it reminded me of that "holographic creature chess game" they played in Starwars on the millennium falcon...

Rest in peace poor Dream Blade, say hi to Hecatomb and Elvis for me cry

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bryant
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games:

* If money is an issue, I feel like $100 currently would get you enough Dreamblade to field at least two well-constructed warbands. I just spent a few dollars shy of a c-note on MonPoc and feel like I don't have nearly enough units. Now if you live in an area where a lot of people are playing MonPoc, and only want to go with one faction, you'd be able to trade for a nice army with a $100 investment.

* Dreamblade is like a game of chess played while tripping on acid. Monsterpocalypse is like a game of dodgeball played by very angry gods. Both kinds of games are awesome in their own way, but they satisfy different play moods.

HTH,
Travis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Escobar
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tensider wrote:
I own both games:

* If money is an issue, I feel like $100 currently would get you enough Dreamblade to field at least two well-constructed warbands. I just spent a few dollars shy of a c-note on MonPoc and feel like I don't have nearly enough units. Now if you live in an area where a lot of people are playing MonPoc, and only want to go with one faction, you'd be able to trade for a nice army with a $100 investment.

* Dreamblade is like a game of chess played while tripping on acid. Monsterpocalypse is like a game of dodgeball played by very angry gods. Both kinds of games are awesome in their own way, but they satisfy different play moods.

HTH,
Travis

Ah, very interesting. Thank you.

I've heard that the buildings might be the most annoying thing to collect in MonPoc, and they are the thing the truly make the game "sing".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Mosley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a nice 2 part demo on youtube. I hope I'm allowed to link it here.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=079u0zk01zk
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjkgiy2ASqI&NR=1

As for how it compares to Dreamblade, that should give you a better idea than anything I could convey through text alone.

Hope it helps your decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both. Here are my various thoughts thrown together in a rush.

1. They were both exceptionally expensive to get into (to pre-empt people that can't read, Dreamblade was most definitely not a cheap game in its heyday). I'm not talking about buying one starter to play, I'm talking about the hardcore people that like to have fluffy armies that work in synergy. It would seem to me that Monsterpocalypse has the potential to be the cheaper game (if we pretend they were both released at the same time) for casual players but also the potential to be bloody expensive considering there are 6 races and yet only a small pool of 69 figures including the clear monster forms and buildings. I'm personally finding it difficult to complete the force I want to play. Meh to mismatched units;p. It could have something to do with PP's way of selling their games...calling them skirmish and then releasing 4 or 5 expansions worth of miniatures and rulebooks ;p.

2. Monsterpocalypse has better painted large monsters (note the gradation of colours on some of the large greeblies). Quite a large portion of the minis in Monsterpocalypse are clear-coloured unpainted plastic though snore. Dreamblade had ye olde traditional D&D Mini drybrush effect. It was okay in my books but Dreamblade minis had a tendency to warp due to the soft plastic. On the other hand, MA minis can snap off their bases, although this is easily remedied with superglue (Privateer Press recommend their own P3 glue by the way laugh).

3. In my experience, it was easier to pick up, learn and play Dreamblade. That's not to say that the game was extremely basic and lacking in complexity though. There was a wealth of awesome forces to be created. I'm struggling to get into Monsterpocalypse because every unit/monster seems to have a plethora of symbols, abilities and rules to remember. Stopping every two seconds to check out a reference sheet isn't fun but I'm sure I'll get it all soon.

4. Monsterpocalypse is sold out until November.

5. Some people don't play games if they don't like the theme, so consider that.

6. Do you want to collect figures? I'm pretty peeved with PP for deciding to have sooooo many damn special convention/mail order only figures. These figures are currently ebaying for an average of $41 each!

I had more points involving gameplay but...smeh . I can save them for another post later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my comments largely mirror TragicHeroBC's. Just wanted to comment on this:

smittenkitten wrote:
6. Do you want to collect figures? I'm pretty peeved with PP for deciding to have sooooo many damn special convention/mail order only figures. These figures are currently ebaying for an average of $41 each!

I find it to be six of one, half dozen of the other. I can get a full set of figures for MonPoc by buying two cases; if I do the same for Dreamblade, I'll still be missing pieces. So you save money on the release pieces, but have to spend it to track down convention pieces. I like the MonPoc approach better (fewer redundant commons to store, if nothing else), but I think it's largely a matter of taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smittenkitten wrote:
These figures are currently ebaying for an average of $41 each!

I wish it was only $40 each.

The biggest problem with Monsterpocalypse is that Privateer Press completely underestimated the demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd probably pick Dreamblade at this point in time.

Both are great, fun games.
Both are nice to look at.
Both are about the same complexity level.

Why DB?
It's available and cheap.

The environment is established and won't change due to expansions. MonPoc may be a different game after 2-3 expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TragicHeroBC wrote:

An interesting point.

Dreamblade however did have a mindboggling avalanche of expansions in a short time. For MonPoc to get even close to the variety of figures that Dreamblade has it will take years.

That said the I hope they get the giant ape monster out fast...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamblade is a strategy game akin to Chess.

Monsterpocalypse is a skirmish game akin to Star Wars or D&D Minis (with more elements, to be sure, but from the same family).

Are you into skirmish games? Play Monsterpocalypse.

Are you into deep, entertaining, rewarding, strategy games with tons of flavor and awesome mechanics? Play Dreamblade.

(Is my bias showing? blush)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tensider wrote:

* Dreamblade is like a game of chess played while tripping on acid. Monsterpocalypse is like a game of dodgeball played by very angry gods.

Those should have been used in the marketing campaigns. Awesome summaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Escobar
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. That really helps a lot. Now I have a much better idea about how both games compare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
smittenkitten wrote:
I like both. Here are my various thoughts thrown together in a rush.

1. They were both exceptionally expensive to get into (to pre-empt people that can't read, Dreamblade was most definitely not a cheap game in its heyday). I'm not talking about buying one starter to play, I'm talking about the hardcore people that like to have fluffy armies that work in synergy. It would seem to me that Monsterpocalypse has the potential to be the cheaper game (if we pretend they were both released at the same time) for casual players but also the potential to be bloody expensive considering there are 6 races and yet only a small pool of 69 figures including the clear monster forms and buildings. I'm personally finding it difficult to complete the force I want to play. Meh to mismatched units;p. It could have something to do with PP's way of selling their games...calling them skirmish and then releasing 4 or 5 expansions worth of miniatures and rulebooks ;p.

actually no . unless you live in an area where there are very few players , niether me nor my players have had any problem trading for enough pieces to create synergistic armies . MONPOC can be played with just one starter if you want , but if you decide you can almost always trade for what you need ...... unless its the cthulu force , we are allllll keeping those figs though as a rue most companies creat different rareities of monsters to jack up demand and price , not so here , the basic monsters are all the smae rareity ( even the chtulu ones . then each factions units have a matching spread of figures with the same rarities and utilities yes the promo figs are rarer , but still obtainable . they arent jacking the customers like so many other companies do . and actuacually you dont need a same faction army to play , most people dont use one anyway , its just easier for some if they do .

smittenkitten wrote:
2. Monsterpocalypse has better painted large monsters (note the gradation of colours on some of the large greeblies). Quite a large portion of the minis in Monsterpocalypse are clear-coloured unpainted plastic though snore. Dreamblade had ye olde traditional D&D Mini drybrush effect. It was okay in my books but Dreamblade minis had a tendency to warp due to the soft plastic. On the other hand, MA minis can snap off their bases, although this is easily remedied with superglue (Privateer Press recommend their own P3 glue by the way laugh).

actually no again . YES the martian menace is primarily clear (for effect ), and yes the ultra and mega forms of the monsters are clear as well as the shadow forms , excluding the M.M. the "clear figs " are actually quite a SAMLL part of the minis out there . and while yes the figs can snap off the bases , just about every game has that issue , so its really just par for the course .

smittenkitten wrote:
3. In my experience, it was easier to pick up, learn and play Dreamblade. That's not to say that the game was extremely basic and lacking in complexity though. There was a wealth of awesome forces to be created. I'm struggling to get into Monsterpocalypse because every unit/monster seems to have a plethora of symbols, abilities and rules to remember. Stopping every two seconds to check out a reference sheet isn't fun but I'm sure I'll get it all soon.

actually that depends on what level you want to play . yes the game can become incredibly complex , but its something that an 8 year old can learn . unless you are one of those people who has to use every option and be prepared for every possibility , you will find you really only have to rely on a few of those symbols for every game . as for the simplicty of the game , the rules are detailed and solid . if you go to the rules questions section you will find only perhaps 3-4 where the desighners had to clarify wording , all the rest of the questions are answered by pointing out where it is answered in the rules . i say the game is learnable by an 8 year old because they arent going to rely on every attcak option , so they can play with the most basic rules , and mabey learn one or two special attacks and go from there . this can be a great way for a parent to have something to play with a child who got into power rangers , zoids , or any of a number of other similar tv shows that feature giant monsters and or robots

smittenkitten wrote:
4. Monsterpocalypse is sold out until November.

ya , but you can always buy a starter on ebay to get started if you have to and wait for more to come out from there

smittenkitten wrote:
5. Some people don't play games if they don't like the theme, so consider that.

that can be said for any game

smittenkitten wrote:

ya , but some of us also trade them . so its really not an issue . also as one of my players pointed out , this isnt like most other games where you gotta get the LE figs to stay competitive , the promo figs arent really BETTER , they are just DIFFERENT . so far te mega gorghadra is supposed to be the strongest , but i have no worries about facing him . the figures are really balanced that way , they each have their strengths and weaknesses , none are really stronger than any other . so you really dont NEED the promos , i just sold mega gorghadra on ebay cause i dont need him , and noone in my group is really into the planet eaters enough to trade anything i want for him so im gonna use the money to buy more boosters from my FLGS .

smittenkitten wrote:
I had more points involving gameplay but...smeh . I can save them for another post later on.

i really cant answer that one , but i will say i have figs for both , but i dont play dream blade any more . the players who got into dream blade were much to serious , IMHO , about the game play . it wasnt as friendly or fun a group to play with . it was much more akin to the different feel or being a minis gamer sitting amongst a group of CCG players , so there is definatly a hge issue there for me .

i will close by listing the main reasons i have for playing MONPOC :
1 the rules are solid
2 you can make it as complicated or simple as you want
3 the figs are incredible
4 P.P. has a stellar rep for how they run things
5 i have seen alot of other games that have tried the spawning idea similar to video games , this game makes it work .
6 as many are aware , i had a bad experience with wizkids ( the creators of the CMG idea ) so i am suuuuuper agains CMG's as a rule . i downloaded the rules online , read them , and that was all it took to get hooked , they are just that solid and just that good .
7 i like monster movies like clover field and godzilla , ect ...... and this game is the first to really make it work , though as you can find here , there are many who have tried .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.