Subject: A cautionary tale rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a solo Realmspeak session yesterday I had one of those amazing unexpected events that the Realm can throw up once in a blue moon, never to be repeated again.

I was having a blinder with the Magician who had scored both the Scroll of Alchemy and Black Book. Having Awakened and Learned all the spells in those ancient tomes and having enough potential gold in unsold treasure to satisfy all my other Victory Points, I decided to head into the Lost Castle for the last week of the month, armed with my vast store of powerful new knowledge and intent on earning bonus points at the Altar, aiming to get my highest recorded score for the Magician.

When I failed a Hide roll and was confronted by the Demon, a Tremendous Ogre and Dragon and all half dozen bats, I confidently pulled out the Scroll of Alchemy and cast the zero time Melt Into Mist I had awakened, supplied with Purple Magic by the Dragon Essence I was carrying.

When I tried to return to my normal scruffy self I found that I was stuck. The Dragon Essence had transformed with me and couldn't be dropped and in my misty form I was unable to cast Remedy to end the spell. The poor Magician was doomed to be a misty wraith, haunting the valleys and mountains of the Realm for all eternity, a grim reminder of the folly of overweaning pride and ambition.

If I thought it through I would have seen my mistake before I stumbled into it and maybe others have encountered this before but I thought it made for cool story and a good of example of the Realm's ability to surprise even the most jaded adventurer.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic! Here's another example on the same theme:
http://homenowned.com/wiki-mr/pmwiki.php?n=Main.BlackKnightS...

(Link updated to the new location for the Magic Realm Wiki - 5/27/09)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think the ultimate "always expect the unexpected in the Realm" was in one of Steve's PBEM campaigns. Last day in the game, having spent a WEEK trying to find the treasure site. I'm the White Knight, traveling w/ the Pilgrim. Pilgrim has an enchanted Skull w/ Lightning Bolt. So *if* the Bats are on the prowl, he'll fry one, and I'll deal w/ the other. We each pull a treasure and here come the Bats.
Normally this would be Bat 1, Bat 2. Buuuuuuuuuuuut....

Amazon decides to (for no good reason at all) venture further. Turns up Bat 1. She dies.
So I get bat 1 and THEN Bat2 AND Bat3. Gulp. Pilgrim blasts Bat 1 to smithereens, boogies out, leaving me with TWO bats. I got one, and fell to wounds after 11 rounds. Sharks w/ Wings, indeed.

Buuuut, if not for the Amazon (over on the OTHER side of the Realm toatally unrelated and unconcerned with anything I was doing), I would have only had ONE bat and most likely survived (and won the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Essence + Melt into Mists
Yes, that happened to me before. I had cast Melt into Mist on myself a couple of turns earlier when I looted a sight. I found the Dragon Essence and didn't think about it when the program asked me whether I want to take it or drop it in the clearing :-(
Realmspeak didn't even give me the opportunity to suicide myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.