Popular Tags: ArkHor [+] [View All]
Johannes Heimann
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Teddy Riot
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

normally I´m not the kind of guy searching for atmosphere around the gaming table but Arkham Horror ot me hooked.
The game is great and the theme demands a bit of ambience so I decided to first get myself a tablecloth (made of black silk-like linen; about 7 Euros)
and then made myself an ambient soundtrack which is pretty easy once you have several components.
All of the below can be found on the web for free, for a small fee or if you own the original you can extract it from some cds.
All can be mixed together with one of the countless MP3 mixing tools available for free.

Sound effects:
people talking in a pub, dogs barking, howling wind, heavy rain, light rain, thunder, some parts of an old radio broadcast

Music taken from:
Doom
Silent Hill 2 + 4
Clive Barker´s Undying (for free on the web)
Resident evil
Of course there are many others available. A friend of mine extracted some music from the old games (doom, resident evil)

I started with some 20s big band sound together with the sound effects for creating the imagination of a pub of those days, then creaking and rattling doors fading into wind, rain, thunder and dogs barking. With rain left in the background I mixed in some of the soundtracks of Silent Hill and Undying (My favourite is the lullaby),then faded the rain into some Doom background soundtrack, tuned in parts of the old radio broadcast...and so on.

A few hints:
I found out that it is important not to add too much speech or singing as it will disturb the gamers conversation and draw too much attention and that it is better to tune in the soundtracks only from time to time with only the sound effects remaining.
And I ended the soundtrack the way so it can be played in a loop
(playtime is about 2 hours)

All in all its really a quite scary soundtrack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The music from the game Planescape Torment could be great imho. I remember it had some very weird and spooky tunes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great idea. I've been toying with a similar idea, mainly combining some spooky ambient sounds with some good orchestral soundtrack music for our games. I just need to finish up our wooden card holders first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The search for good Arkham tunes has been mentioned loads of times now. We always use the music soundtracks from the game Eternal Darkness, Sanitys Requiem from the Gamecube/PC- the game practically IS Call of Cthulhu in game form- who knows how they got away with it. The music is perfect though- particularly Karim and Maximillium's levels. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite so far has been an hour long track of thunder and rain that I found. I just put that on repeat, and I like it much more than music on days when it's not actually storming out. It works best in low light with just a couple candles or table lamps for lighting... Gives the game a nice "It was a dark and stormy night..." feel, especially when you get a Rainy Environment (weather) card. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What ahout the soundtracks from Bram Stokers Dracula by Wojciech Kilar or The Omen series by Jerry Goldsmith.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting the theme for this game is important. I love to use minimalistic electronic ambient music like Vromb. Check the audio samples on the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Heimann
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Teddy Riot
mbmbmbmbmb
just realised that it was not doom but quake 1 some of the sounds were taken from
My fault.
Anyway, vromb, plainscape torment and John whiteman are cool hints and fit in nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midnight Syndicate does a lot of gothic horror music. My favorites are "The 13th Hour" and "Gates of Delirium."

There's a similar group called Nox Arcana that specifically made a Cthulhu soundtrack album. I haven't heard it yet, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brunop wrote:
The music from the game Planescape Torment could be great imho. I remember it had some very weird and spooky tunes.

Nice suggestion. Planescape Torment is the best video game I've ever played. Fantastic writing and soundtrack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Also... it just occurred to me, why not the soundtrack to Call of Cthulhu?

http://www.cthulhulives.org/store/store.lasso?1=product&2=46

They did a fantastic job with the score, and if you haven't seen the movie, you really need to! The behind-the-scenes is worth the price of the DVD alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Heimann
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Teddy Riot
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Those soundtracks are surely a nice alternative, (and much less work I suppose) I personally would still mix them with sound effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Walker
United Kingdom
Liss
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the first minute of ELOs 'Fire On High' ?

Very spooky, backwards talking, creepy distant jarrring music, creaking doors etc ....

It might actually drive you insane if you listened to it on an endless loop zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David de Andrés Martínez
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also try gothic horror soundtracks from Midnight Syndicate (http://www.midnightsyndicate.com/).

The are really good for place like the asylum, graveyard, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Walker
United Kingdom
Liss
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found these on Amazon UK .. they might help your ambience gulp

This one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sound-Effects-Horror-Science-Fiction...

... includes:
1. Whip Lashes
2. Monsters, Screams, Dragging Chains
3. Witch's Laugh
4. Cat Snarls
5. Dog Growls
6. Wind and Shutters Banging
7. Squeaking Door
8. Running Footsteps
9. Scary Organ Music
10. Tiger Snarls
11. Screams -4-
12. Monster Walking in Swamp
13. Avalanche
14. Brain Pounding
15. Axe Chopping
16. Snake Hissing
17. Beasts and Monsters Sounds
18. Beasts and Monsters Sounds
19. Drum Effects
20. Horror Background

or this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sound-Effects-Sounds-Horror-Various/...
... includes
1. Violent Thunderstorm/Wind/Rain
2. Midnite in Graveyard with Clock Chime
3. Clock Ticks Then Explosion
4. Supernatural Swirl
5. Chain Dragging Slowly
6. Demonic Laughter
7. Knife Stabbing Body Several Times
8. Wolves Baying
9. Decapitate Head with Sword, Blood Splatters
10. Creaking Door Swings Back and Forth
11. Telephone Call Hang Up
12. Steps Down Echoing Hall
13. Gate Closing
14. Creaking Door Closes
15. Eerie Wind
16. Supernatural Wind
17. Digging in Earth with Spade
18. Footsteps
19. Grave Digger
20. Demonic Language in Different Voices

-1 sanity loss for reading these listings ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For more 'ambient' stuff try The Maniacal Vale by Esoteric (eh? eh?) Or In the Depths of R'Lyeh (ah c'mon!) By Catacombs. Also anything by Moss.

Heavy ambient doom/drone/evil

C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smokin' OldAunt
Canada
flag msg tools
You can try some songs from the 20s and 30s, I think it set a very awesome mood:

- Midnight, the stars and you (al Bowlly and Ray Noble): its also the song at the end of The Shining
- anything from ink spot, especially [b] I dont want to set the world on fire
- some old cole porter
- Sidney Bechet & Django Reinhardt - Songe d'automne for example...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.