Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just received Imperial, and am having trouble reconciling what the rules seem to say with the descriptions of the game online.

Two questions (for now):

1) End of game scoring. According to the rulebook, one multiplies the counting chart factor (e.g., x3, or x4) times the interest on the bonds one holds in that nation. There's an example given in which the thing multiplied is clearly the interest, not the bond value itself.

Yet in tons of session reports online people seem to be multiplying the value of their bonds, not the value of their interest, to produce their victory points. Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

Also, in some session reports they refer to tax income as providing end-of-game scoring points, and there's absolutely nothing in my rulebook about that. In the rules I have, it's solely interest x factor, plus cash on hand.

Can someone explain what it's really supposed to be?

2) Investor card. My rulebook says that every time the investor phase is chosen, "each player who granted bonds to a nation" receives an interest payment. That reads to me as though everyone who has any investments at all gets interest, not just those who have invested in the nation taking its turn. But the context of many discussions here leads me to believe that this is wrong, and that despite the wording, only those who invested in the nation taking its turn get interest payments. Is this correct?

I'll just comment in general that while the rulebook seems really straightforward as I read it, reading the session reports makes me feel like others have different rulebooks entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You are correct that it is interest times multiplier (plus cash on hand). Multiplying the face value of the bond in final scoring is a very common rules error. As for the tax bonuses, I have no idea where people get that.
2) If Germany lands on taxation, Germany's bonds pay out and that's that. The phrasing in the rulebook was presumably meant to phrase it in the general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
I agree with Gyges. Except where he said "taxation" and meant "Investor."

I was taught the game, but when I finally had to teach the game, there were a few points I realized I'd never internalized and we played incorrectly. After reading the rules myself, I saw there were rules I never knew. So now I'm in the process of rewriting the Imperial rulebook. My rewrite will promote the no-investor tile rules to "standard" play and demote the investor tile rules to "variant" play. And hopefully make clearer the scoring rules and a bunch of other stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgmnetid wrote:
I agree with Gyges. Except where he said "taxation" and meant "Investor."

Crap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An easy way to determine your multiplier is to use the big number in the top corner of each bond (1 - 8), it's the same as the interest payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.